starting new bussiness.

nickoj

Reaction score
I'm after some advice if theres anybody who could help it would be much appreciated.

I am looking at starting a small company up,but all I have is a part 1 ticket although I have been on the spanners for over 10 years this is all I have as the company I was with was not intersted, I am fully competent and put most jobs up around so would I need to do my part 2 and advance to do this? The company will be targeting small local building firms to start with, I have bin looking at what sort of scaffold to buy as I have done some work with cuplok although not very adaptable goes up very quickly obviously I would get some tube and fit for the more complex work or do I stick to just tube and fit?

Welcome to the forum and good luck
Part 1 ticket is a start but you should really have your basic ticket if your going to start your own company as for the first few years it will only be you and you labourer or you could start someone with a basic ticket just to cover yourself.
Do you know how to price a job ? What about you legal docs ie risk / meth statements ?

Tube and fitting mate , where u based and what you after

And welcome

I have an idea about pricing as I do a bit for my father in-law building company, but my plan was to see what sort of price my competitors were charging n go from there.
I have around 15000 to spend on gear and a truck thinking do you think this would be enough to get started?

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

Based in lincoln, looking for enough gear to get started got around 15000 to spend but this has also gotta get me a truck

HI, welcome.
I would keep a job going monday to friday to keep cash coming in and do your own business at the weekend till u build it up.
Concentrate on profit and cash flow.
Buy a second hand cuplok system, enough for a couple of houses, small pickup,
Have a cosultation with a business start up proffessional
good luck

I'm after some advice if theres anybody who could help it would be much appreciated.

I am looking at starting a small company up,but all I have is a part 1 ticket although I have been on the spanners for over 10 years this is all I have as the company I was with was not intersted, I am fully competent and put most jobs up around so would I need to do my part 2 and advance to do this? The company will be targeting small local building firms to start with, I have bin looking at what sort of scaffold to buy as I have done some work with cuplok although not very adaptable goes up very quickly obviously I would get some tube and fit for the more complex work or do I stick to just tube and fit?

Welcome to the forum nickoj, Go see an accountant before you spend any of your 15k, also take in any advice you get from the members on here good luck

hi there dude in exactly same boat as you kept my nine to five going to pay the bills for over three years and spent £30k on van gear in that time never paying myself a penny from it.been on my own for 6 months full time got two others and myself and doing 6 day weeks and already doubled my kit i would sort you tickets out as would be a big help with your insurance costs and signing off your work as cheaper to employ labourer than fixer to start with! GOOD LUCK MATE.

Nickoj

I would put my 15k into a fast food francise

Your thirty years too late to make any real dosh in the scaffolding game,with all the parasite's on your back looking for a cut.

I would say it's doable but tough. The ticket's will really have to be sorted double quick time as there is a whole world of hurt waiting for you when you start pricing for bigger jobs with a part 1 qualification. If your serious, don't buy a pick up as it won't do you for long and the first time you have to return to the yard before morning tea will confirm that. I would spend 3k or thereabouts on a half descent 7.5t flat bed which will do you for a couple of years of growth. I would also seriously consider keeping a job until you pick up enough work to make this impossible. For material, if cuplock is your system of choice I would invest in some but if memory serves I was going for a couple of years before I bought system and even that was cross hired so the last return load was charged up at a good rate.

As a word of caution I would ask if you have even considered a labour only thing? Unfortunately it crossed my tiny mind a bit to far down the road but I do regret not looking in to the wee nougat a bit more closely before going gung-ho into the suppliers with cash to burn. Might not suit your circumstance or area but it would work a treat as most builders you are targeting carry a certain amount of scaffold and would be happy to hire more in to cut their costs leaving you to spend your 15k on whores and stimulants. :bigsmile:

Thanks every 1 for there advice bin very helpful. Gonna book myself on part 2 asap. Then go from there.

have you aloud for insurance costs in this 15k or is this just for kit mate 15k will soon go when getting started, if you are running a wagon you need to maintain it then you have got ladders, gates load bay gates beams, all thinks like this eat in to your 15k i remeber thinking to my self 10k would get me started how wrong i was, but as for gear i would go tube and fitting mate, cuplok will cost you a bit even second hand and if you are going for the smaller builder you find there will be a lot of jobs where you can not use it.

Tube and fitt every time

AOM - 3.5 ton pickup means 3.5 ton on it matey !!!!

In my experience Scaffy 3.5 ton would not keep a spanner and a Labrador in work much after 10am.

give it another 10 years and you will be an alcoholic, smoking 50 a day and visiting prositutes because your wife cant put up with your grumpyness.

But really I have thought about it and I know I would have plenty of work due to strong contacts in roofing and carpentry. Buying second hand gear is the ok part, but the lorry and yard part is the biggest prob... Note, I will be looking for a house with a LARGE garden..

Last edited:
give it another 10 years and you will be an alcoholic, smoking 50 a day and visiting prositutes because your wife cant put up with your grumpyness.

But really I have thought about it and I know I would have plenty of work due to strong contacts in roofing and carpentry. Buying second hand gear is the ok part, but the lorry and yard part is the biggest prob... Note, I will be looking for a house with a LARGE garden..

Why not do what i was thinking of:

Getting hire/purchasing a 30ft-40ft Cargo Container?
Its big enough for a decent sized rack, if you build it properly and NO ONE will know whats in it, save yourself and a few others, as its got no windows in it and completely sealed, when its locked.

I mean, if your just starting out, how much gear would you want?
A few hundred boards and 50 long/50 16fts - few hundred fittings and so on. - Just enough for about 10 house fronts, or whatever.

Id have thought that all that could fit in one of those big containers.

why not just put the container on a articulated lorry Jason then you could just park it out side your house LOL

help

Hi mate no long started out on my own my self would advise buying tube and fitting as is more versitile for smaller jobs for example around houses there are many obstructions as opposed to big contracts where you often get long straight runs all the best

Its never to late to start mate, im about to start out myself. My uncle started his own firm in 2004 and has just sold up for 1.8 mill and retired at the age of 40.

Top Bottom