Starting a scaffolding company

If you dont want to be stressed, skint, pissed off, frustrated, knackered, chasing your own tail, and an alcoholic please dont do it.

If you dont mind any of these things. GO FOR IT

Good Luck Mate

I was wondering what was wrong with me !!!!! Who needs a shrink when you've got the forum eh.::wacko::wacko::wacko::D

Aom. I would think if a company were using them they would have to declare it on the proposal form, otherwise if there was an accident/damage from their use you'd not be covered, it would push the price up but at least your covered.

I thought that brandy, I wondered how many do though?

I thought that brandy, I wondered how many do though?
Thats the question Aom, risky business, insurers will look at any opportunity not to pay out. Same as in the previous post regarding only taking out public liability to employ labour only, like walking into a minefield blindfolded, not reccomended.

theres me thinking i just had them sort of problems

That's the beauty of the forum Scaffy, common ground common problems and common sense solutions.:idea:

I was thinking that very thing myself, even at £1k sounds a bit cheap as mine is around the 5k mark from 15k at it's peak. Another thing that has crossed my tiny mind is with so many people using the heat guns for sheeting now do insurance companies need to be notified? I have never used these guns but I assume it's more hot air than naked flame, a bit like scaffy.:)

£1k would be based upon a 1+1 scenario, under a Sole Trader basis. the more guys you have the more you pay!!
Heat Guns should be advised to insurers, as they will be defined as 'heat' or 'hot works' and will require the policy being extended to include this. Also, with Scaffolders, if you use cutting or grinding gear on site this is also heat use and therefore your policy would need to be 'including heat' - however there is not much difference at the moment with rates.

Hi Q.Silver,

My Mate and Meself started up a couple years ago and we registered for VAT from day one.. We were able to claim back all the VAT we paid on the purchase of the truck we bought and on all the Tube, Boards, Fittings etc etc etc..
Might be worth considering....

Good Luck to you....

Fair point tomcat but if memory serves I could still back date claims for a vat refund on purchases made well before I finally registered for vat. Maybe Rosie could help us with that one.

Watch you don't go the same way as poor Andy Gray Ian.:toung:

Hi Q Silver,

Why don't you give us a call when you get a min, we're busy till after 3 today, but get in touch and we'll help as much as we can.
FYI we're working on something new to help tradesmen build their own businesses...

Thanks for all the comments guys. I think I have a lot of homework to do.

I am still in two minds on whether to buy the gear out right or not. Another thing that came to mind is the NASC, I have been told there are some companies that don't consider scaffolders that are not registered with them. Makes me wonder how it works with new companies?

There was a discussion here about buying or renting that may be helpful.

And I also know there has been that very discussion about the NASC and I'm sure Ragscaff can tell you more. Do a search for NASC on the forum, I'm sure it'll come up.

Hi Allan666

Thanks for the mention :) We do the best we can for you guys.

Q.silver I'm starting too, my tips are:

Website go vistaprint £7 a month you design it yourself having a domain name for you company is good

Public liability £5,000,000 for me £486 a year go simply business. All you want is public liability as employers liability cost loads more. As you can sub contract your mates. And allows you to do highways and pavements. Check with your council how much you need.

Get a good accountant. I made a loss last year but stillgait a return through the buisiness.

You builders you trust they want it for nothing.

Always ho the extra mile for a good client.

Good luck

Matrix Scaffolding - Home

Where did you find that insurance? I have been quoted £250.00 a month for £1 million public liability.

250 is ok Q-silver, it will all depend on turnover, employee's and enviroment in kinda that order, just because someone else get's it cheaper doesn't mean a jot to your circumstance.

I've just set up and this is what I found......
Forget the NASC you can't join for 2 years, also consider you will need an operators licence for your truck, this will require you to have £3200 in you account for the time it takes to process your application ( this can take take 9 weeks).Buy your gear with an intrest free credit card, theres loads about. Its cheaper than a loan and you'll have 16 months to pay it back depending on your circumstances.
Key thing is to keep your overheads low, you can undercut anyone in the game if its just your labour your paying for. Go for solar jobs , they are up for a couple of days and then down again so you get a quick turn around and don't needs loads of gear. Be reliable and do what you say your going to do. Never slag off the oposition as you never know when you might need them, or who your slagging them off to.
Get you and your wife, partner on the books as employees to lower your tax threshold you can both earn approx 9k per year without paying tax now, you can make your money (providing you don't make a loss) in dividends.You will also be able to claim family tax credits if you do this
The biggest problem you will have is cash flow, as soon as a job is up , invoice it ! cashflow is king with a new company, and chase a debt, don't let people think your a soft touch or you will get the p*ss taken out of you by everybody and thats not good in this game.
Follow the rules as far as vat and cis are concerned, you can never beat the system..FACT

Good things are the fact that you can do the job as you like it , and its very rewarding when it goes well,don't get a partner you'll only regret it later when you have to split the money with a bloke , thats reliable, but little else (had that on my last company, and he was a bricklayer...vermin)

Go for it and don't spend the rest of your life wondering !

By the way, that's probably the most sensible thing I've ever posted on this forum

Last edited:
starting to trade next month ,at last, it took us about 2 months in all to put together now its time to cross my fingers and go for it .
should have had a crack at it many years ago.:nuts::nuts::nuts:

Top Bottom