Starting a scaffolding company

Q.Silver

Reaction score
Things are starting to look a little shaky at work, I want to go solo. I was hoping to get some advice on what kind of things I should look out for when starting a scaffolding company.

What kind of marketing works best?

Is it worth hiring instead of buying out right for first couple of jobs?

is it worth registering as a company before introductions or is it better to have everything ready, company name, number, vat number, accountant, etc. I didnt want to make a big investment as a start, just wanted to dip my big toe in the water first and not jump in.

many thanks in advance.

Hi Q.Silver, I started when I was off shore so my months wages were covered and only threw myself in when it became obvious there was a demand. Many will tell you that this is not a great time but I believe this would be a great time if you could keep your prices keen. Don't hesitate to ask for help, again I had a small network of experienced guys who kept me right, and the best bit is you now have the forum to turn to for answers.

Q.silver the balls in you court mate it all depends if you feel your up to it. After your initial investment of gear, truck, public liability, yard cost, fuel and labour, it could take around 3+ years to see a decent return on top of all this dealing with people who want scaffolds so cheap sometimes you think is it worth it and then pay as late as possible. I will say it is no bed of roses but at the end of the day it will be your business. If you still feel optimistic after thinking about all the above then by all means go for it! If all else fails at least you will be able to say you have tried. Whatever you decision mate best of luck.

Last edited:
All the best to ya m8

Just try it m8 youll get more insight when your actually there on the front line. Throw caution to the wind m8 im tryin it myself, money comes and goes bottom line.:blink1:

Ive had me own firm for 10 years and ime still skint...You tend to turn over a fair bit a dosh but if we are all gonna tell the truth you dont get to keep much for yerself...Its just a way of life,thats all...

If you dont mind waiting 60 days for youre 300 quid then go for it....:eek:

I started out initially sub contracting off a company I worked for, labour only. I registered as a company and for vat, did'nt cost much. The 1st year I made a good enough profit, rented a yard, bought a bit of gear and a truck. Kept at the sub contracting, but was picking up work on my own and buying more gear, never believed in hiring gear, the real money is in the gear, why give it away, Got to a stage in a short space of time was busy with my own work. Lots of scaffs started out on their own as described. Don't have to cost a lot of money, just a bit of savvy and hard work.

thats exactly the same as me Brandy but christ is there some pressure when you cant do the labour only , i dont know if there are many labour only firms left , i worked for a firm in the early 80s called Rideridge and they had around a hundred men labour only got all there work of Higgs and Hills

Best advice I could give anyone starting out...Cash flow IS King...Make sure you get your wonga and dont give any one firm too much credit...

I Would Advise Any One To Go As A Labour Only Sub-Contractor First, That Way You Dont Have The Overheads Etc, Thats What I Do Matey Have Been For About Ten Years Or So Very Few Regrets ,Go For It Good Luck

If you dont want to be stressed, skint, pissed off, frustrated, knackered, chasing your own tail, and an alcoholic please dont do it.

If you dont mind any of these things. GO FOR IT

Good Luck Mate

If you dont want to be stressed, skint, pissed off, frustrated, knackered, chasing your own tail, and an alcoholic please dont do it.

If you dont mind any of these things. GO FOR IT

Good Luck Mate

totally agree and chasing bad debts...

thats exactly the same as me Brandy but christ is there some pressure when you cant do the labour only , i dont know if there are many labour only firms left , i worked for a firm in the early 80s called Rideridge and they had around a hundred men labour only got all there work of Higgs and Hills

Kinda the same story here phill, and I know exactly how you feel about the labour only. We have always had pressure to do labour only jobs in the past which I have resisted up to now but as everyone is looking to make savings and some of the suppliers are giving away scaffold the demand for a good labour only service is growing and it's getting harder to turn away. Sometimes I think it would all have been much easier and even more lucrative to go down that road instead of full contracting. I have to meet a client this afternoon who wants one of the boys for a month to move hop ups for brickies which could be an earner for both of us but when you only have a few guys it could leave us short handed for our own jobs.

Q.silver I'm starting too, my tips are:

Website go vistaprint £7 a month you design it yourself having a domain name for you company is good

Public liability £5,000,000 for me £486 a year go simply business. All you want is public liability as employers liability cost loads more. As you can sub contract your mates. And allows you to do highways and pavements. Check with your council how much you need.

Get a good accountant. I made a loss last year but stillgait a return through the buisiness.

You builders you trust they want it for nothing.

Always ho the extra mile for a good client.

Good luck

Matrix Scaffolding - Home

Q.silver I'm starting too, my tips are:

Website go vistaprint £7 a month you design it yourself having a domain name for you company is good

Public liability £5,000,000 for me £486 a year go simply business. All you want is public liability as employers liability cost loads more. As you can sub contract your mates. And allows you to do highways and pavements. Check with your council how much you need.

Get a good accountant. I made a loss last year but stillgait a return through the buisiness.

You builders you trust they want it for nothing.

Always ho the extra mile for a good client.

Good luck

Matrix Scaffolding - Home

Be careful with not insuring the Employers Liability (EL) section - if you sub contract work/s to others, but still have a 'master/servant' relationship on site and provide the necessary equipment, they will be classed as your employees, regardless if they do their own tax and or not.
for a basic £1m cover for Public Liability the above price is about right, but adding EL cover to this could bump it up to over a £1k. bear in mind if you have an accident on site and one of your subbies gets hurt and found to be under your direct control, if you do not have EL cover you would face severe fines and possible imprisonment.

Good luck with the new venture.

I was thinking that very thing myself, even at £1k sounds a bit cheap as mine is around the 5k mark from 15k at it's peak. Another thing that has crossed my tiny mind is with so many people using the heat guns for sheeting now do insurance companies need to be notified? I have never used these guns but I assume it's more hot air than naked flame, a bit like scaffy.:)

Top Bottom