Start up Money

Elementary my dear fekin know it all, what gave it away. I will say this for being snowed in, that fekin Jura just gets better and better.:D

No worries on that score matey, never miss their p1sh on a Sunday any more than I would miss the forum p1sh on a Saturday night.:amuse:

Hi Bigtone

Have you thought to advertise locally for a backer,something on the lines of "Investment required for small local Company,start up" there is a lot of money tied up in saver accounts that is earning little or no interest at the present time.

Put together a good business plan,of what you expect to turnover in the first year, your set up cost's and overheads.Keep it realistic.

You will of course loose some % of your business,but if your new partner/backer understands the financial side of running a business you will find it a great asset in your mutual success

Good luck in your venture

best regards

Cheers for the Idea Rigger but to be honest I would rather own every tube, fitting and board outright then owe it to someone. If it all goes tits up i owe nothing and can just sell it all off

Pretty much how I see it as well, which could leave you open to accusations of small mindedness but at least no one can take anything off you.

Pretty much how I see it as well, which could leave you open to accusations of small mindedness but at least no one can take anything off you.

I could not think of anything worse than working your nuts off just to pay of a debt.
Like i have said to a couple of the lads over the years who constantly borrow money off people each week why do it your working just to pay off other people.

If I can start off small and pump profit in and grow bit by bit would be nice, lots of competition in my area so its gonna be tough but see how things pan out

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Cheers for the Input lads, also whats an average monthly price of a small yard??

That depends of where you are Bigtone , my way you looking at nothing under £200 a week and you would only get something around 40 X 20 for that.

the further into a town you go the more it costs, my first few weeks was actually on a friend of a friends farm who owed him a favour. But if you can locate out of the town costs go down. I pay 500 a month now for 2 40ft containers and a fenced yard of around 80 x 80 just on the outskirts of hull. Because my yard is in another bigger yard i also have cctv, fence alarms and scamp security for free. You just gotta keep an eye out for that good spot.

Last edited:
We are a new company bigtone and like you say it's really hard to get off and running. First thing we did was to get a good deal on our public liability which we did through "peacock insurance". Quotes coming in from 2.1k up to 5k. Started with a 7.5 tone lorry so had to do the operators license stuff as well but on looking back it would have been easier with a smaller vehicle to start off with. We decided to start off with street work too but have now been pulled onto some sites and like the lads above rightly say it's where your money goes on having to buy kit you otherwise wouldn't need to buy, i.e. loading bay gates etc. Biggest problem we found was having enough gear in the yard for the work coming in. We targeted tradesmen that would be quick turnarounds like UPVC fitters and painters etc. Builders tend to hang onto your gear for longer and sometimes roofers too.
Finding a good supplier of kit at the right price is a must as well.

All the best anyway matey!

Top Bottom