stair tread distance

Dave, they look the dogs. Are they heavy expensive what sizes are you using?

Hi m8,

They are pretty handy in a lot of situations.

We have a few sizes. Mostly the 15 tread length, some 21 tread and a couple of really small ones.

Couldnt tell you about price, had ours ages but give them a bell. They do cost a fair bit though knowing combisafe. What you got to weigh up is the time spent building traditional against the outlay on these. Like I said, they literally go up in minutes. Dont take up much storage either as they fold dead flat.
The bigger ones can be a bit of a lump to lift but then again Ive been off the spanners 4 years now and gone all soft...:bigsmile:

Dave.

Also, just thought...being a system item they have a specification which. Doing a tube/fitting staircase you could technically need a design.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
Hi AOM and Dave! And thanks for the reference on the site stairways. They are 'the dogs!'. Listen, if you fancy a chat over a coffee, let me know - Combisafe are 'getting busy' in the access side and we intend to really promote the access products - be it stairways, stair towers, scaffsteps, Preguard, Oktolok - I am responsible for the Access Sales for Combisafe for the UK, so drop me a line and I will be across like a shot!

Cheers!

Whats the maximum distance between landings?

I have always been told around 3M. If so how do site offices get away with two storey straight up?

That was the idea behind these Site Stairways. These are suitable for a climb height up to 7.5m

Hi AOM and Dave! And thanks for the reference on the site stairways. They are 'the dogs!'. Listen, if you fancy a chat over a coffee, let me know - Combisafe are 'getting busy' in the access side and we intend to really promote the access products - be it stairways, stair towers, scaffsteps, Preguard, Oktolok - I am responsible for the Access Sales for Combisafe for the UK, so drop me a line and I will be across like a shot!

Cheers!

Hi AreaMan,

I would be interested in hearing what ever you have to say. I have been thinking of trying to incorporate stair access in to more of our jobs in general anyway. I'm personally a big Generation fan but no harm in chatting. pm your number over and I will give you a call.

Thanks for the info Dave, not sure about the weight issue but looks well worth a look.

Rigger mate they have to be spot on these days last one we did was a fire escape and the local fire chief came with a safety officer and Fuc*ing measured each one.
A bloke tripped on one last year (while he was carrying a cup of coffee) and the scaffold company is being done for it because the treads where spaced wrong :)

you cant use wooden boards on a fire escape

Stairways

Stairways:

TG20:08 – (Clause 12.4) and BS EN 12811-1:2003 (Clause 5.8.2) give the formula for dimensions of stairways as follows.

540  2u + g  660 in mm.

Of course we all know what that means!

It means that the sum of 2 risers + 1 going can be not less than 540mm but not exceeding 660mm.

BS EN 12811-1:2003 (clause 582 – figure 4) gives two classes of stairway – Class A and Class B. the angle to be between 30º & 55°

Class A stairway – The measurement of the tread should not be less than 125 mm and not more than 165 mm. with a going not exceeding 175 mm, while the rise can be between 175 mm and 225 mm. (Subject to the formula)

Class B stairway – The measurement of the tread is 165 mm or more,
with a going of 175 mm or more, while the rise can be between 175 mm and 225 mm. (Subject to the formula)

Lets check it out. If we use a scaffold board (225 mm) as a tread and going with a rise of 200 mm the formula would look like this:
= 540  2u + g  660 in mm
= 540  400 + 225  660 in mm
= 540  625  660 in mm

If the figure of 625 is equal to or not less than 540 and not more than 660 mm then it’s in accordance with the standards and it’s a Class B stairway.

The tolerance between one riser and the next should be zero due to the tripping hazard.

Don't mean to appear flippant Ken, but I think i will just bead the risers.:cool:

We hire out haki across the country, stairs are reasonable I hear, loading bays are under rated and system scaff is perfect and reasonably priced for the right job.

i thought it was 230mm max that should give u 200mm from top of tread to the bottom of next tread mate

on the olde wooden ones with the fitting built inn we just went a bubble down every time
seem to work out okay another jobs worth toplift lol!!!

I still go a Bubble down.
Even using the newer metal Treads.

I dunno what it is in mm though, lol.
225mm or something.

although we all know they should be done to a desighn drwg in the real worl or whilst using a generic the angle of the dangle for the stringers is often different so as a rule of thumb we normally fit the top tredda then the 2nd down to a height measuringno more than 9" from the top face of the 1st tred to the rear face of the 2nd tredda - measure between ur bolts and it'll normally be around the 300mm/12" and just transfer that measurement down one stringer marking off as you go,normally the rhs - then fix the tredda and buble the lhs dc in- job done

You can divide the height by number of stairs going in. eg 3.ooomm(3mtrs) divided X200mm riser should give you 15 steps,including landing. 15 X tredda @225 =3375 going.aiming for42deg.:wondering:..lol something like that

LAST TIME ad dopne 1 we mesures how high it was and how aver high it was we mesure from the standard out and marked that from there and then mesures from the mark on the floor to the ledger ani that gave us the lengsh of out the tuve for the stair treads to sit on and then divide the lenght of that tube in inch by 10 and that gave us distances bolt to bolt for the stair treads ... worked out ort but the 1 b4 we never had the sthil saw so in they were that close if you were to knock them you could of made a ramp lol aye ya learn by your mistakes lol

LAST TIME ad dopne 1 we mesures how high it was and how aver high it was we mesure from the standard out and marked that from there and then mesures from the mark on the floor to the ledger ani that gave us the lengsh of out the tuve for the stair treads to sit on and then divide the lenght of that tube in inch by 10 and that gave us distances bolt to bolt for the stair treads ... worked out ort but the 1 b4 we never had the sthil saw so in they were that close if you were to knock them you could of made a ramp lol aye ya learn by your mistakes lol

That's how I used to do them, gives you a 45 degree angle but now it's all system or even the adjustable treads for tube, just easier. Not as easy as the old ladder beam with your board jammed on the angle in a square held with a single but that's another story.:eek:

that's how i used to do them, gives you a 45 degree angle but now it's all system or even the adjustable treads for tube, just easier. Not as easy as the old ladder beam with your board jammed on the angle in a square held with a single but that's another story.:eek:

tut tut shame on u :d

Top Bottom