stair tread distance

toplift

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the distance between stair treads on tube and fitting stairs as i just built one @ 235mm between treads. Engineer then measured them and some were 240mm and one was 255mm he had a hissy is there a tolerance?:cry::eek:

i thought it was 230mm max that should give u 200mm from top of tread to the bottom of next tread mate

on the olde wooden ones with the fitting built inn we just went a bubble down every time
seem to work out okay another jobs worth toplift lol!!!

10 years ago hed be lying at the bottom but wife says i need to calm down!

on the olde wooden ones with the fitting built inn we just went a bubble down every time
seem to work out okay another jobs worth toplift lol!!!

how i have always done it for years

Toplift Riser must be between 165mm and 200mm with a preferred size of 180mm thats from top of 1 tread to top of the next tread , and the going should be 225mm thats from front of one tread to front of the next one. If you put your doubles on the stringers at 288mm centre to centre you will achieve it mate.

the assholes strike a gain done the two day scaffolding inspection course or read a book and got to question the scaffolder that has been doing the job for years . dico allan gus you wont be alone doing the job that way gives u a riser of 200mm 8in

Used to set them anything between 8" and 10" on the rise

The height of the step is not realy an issue,BUT whatever height you set the steps at, THEY HAVE ALL TO BE THE SAME HEIGHT.Uneven step heights induce tripping especialy if you are moving fast or running while using them

I would have thought your engineer could have explained this to you :(

Rigger mate they have to be spot on these days last one we did was a fire escape and the local fire chief came with a safety officer and Fuc*ing measured each one.
A bloke tripped on one last year (while he was carrying a cup of coffee) and the scaffold company is being done for it because the treads where spaced wrong :)

its a massive thing its not worth doing them in t&f anymore get the haki that way you cant go wrong

thought it was 200mm from top of one step to top of the next for workers access. But that distance needs to be less (175mm??) for public access?

Makes sense Philo

what I was trying to point out was that each step has to be the same height. I would think a fire escape is a drawing job with the correct rise indicated

its between 165mm and 200mm with with 180mm preferable.

Dave you right mate haki is the only way :)

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Absolutely right Rigger i got a drawing done that shows you lift heights distance between towers to work out angles of stringers etc etc and if you put your doubles on at 288mm centres it works out spot on :)

As one of the old school treads should be 9" from top of bottom 1 to the top of the next 1

Haki is the best stair system by miles- the only way to go these days as much as it pains me to say!

System stair treads is definitely the way to go but when we did them from tube it was always 225mm up and 225mm out giving you the 45 degree angle you need. I will keep in mind the 288mm centres if we are ever unlucky enough to get asked again. Do they still use ladder beams with the board jammed in at an angle and held with a single to form stair access to the site cabins?:embarrest:
Another point is if they went round checking measurements on all public stair ways and permanent structures the same way this was checked they would have to shut half the buildings in Britain. The women are usually right but despite the wife's concerns I would have thrown him over the side anyway.:cool:

i was told that it should be min 175mm max 225mm from top of tred to top of the next tred but should always have a design

Top Bottom