splicing rope

Now you will get it. another Grumpy grandad war story regarding laces.

Are you all sitting comfortably, then i will begin.

Once upon a time, in a world that was at war. The British Army was busy fighting on 2 fronts, the Nazis on one and the Japeneese on the other.

The British Army at that time, and to this day also, was supported by a band of fearless warriors, up steps the Royal Gurkha rifles. The British Army tied there footwear in a one strand bootlace (still do) a knot at the bottom of the lace, and then threaded through horizontally. The reason being, any injury or need for a rapid boot removal, entails one cut to the lace, and the lace unravels.

However, the Imperial Japenesse Army used to fasten their boots , criss cross fashion. When the Gurkhas, went out on 'Night patrols' they would creep up on a position, and feel the bootlaces of a sleeping person. Woe betide you, if you had criss cross laces in your boots.

Good eh???? i can narf rabbitt some useless info when on a roll or a case of 'Fosters' lol:D

simian

I am all for Organisations putting their Staff through British Board of Trade Knot familiarisation, Selection of the Knot particular to the Task and indeed selection of the Type and diameter of the Rope.

My own personal choice of Rope Type is the natural fibres of Manila or Hemp, I find that the natural Rope is more malleable to work and maintains a cramping grip when the knot is applied to the piece. A visual and Physical inspection regime ( inspection of the rouges yarn ) coupled with Stowage in a Rigging Loft when not in Service can be more economical and re-serviceable that the Man made synthetic Ropes now available---like I say Natural is my preference...

The Tying of Knots should be extended to the Lashing of Ladders and the Lashing of Boards, I understand that Wire Lashings are preferred where hot work is undertaken, however, Rope Lashing are still in use.

Has anyone else got a Pref Re: Rope Type, Natural or Synthetic, would anyone like to compare and contrast the two ???.

Garry...

Celticbhoy
The Scaffolding Orginisations seem to go for the cheap and cheerful Blue sh!t eh ?

Gar...

P.S. did you get my PM regarding the NEBOSH Stuff ???

no garry not yet must be held up on the A9 mate,prefer the wire blu stuff she can get out of to easy.

They both have there good and bad points Natural rope can and does rot it also absorbs water , synthetic rope tends to be stiffer so it can be sometimes be harder to knot when new, But once it has been used a few times it loosens up.
I use to do a lot of rope cradles years ago and was always glad to see a new coil of synthetic come into the yard instead of the natural rope that was left around the yard rotting.

Top Bottom