splicing rope

darsim

Reaction score
to splice a rope into an endless rope do you need a ticket of some sort

dont think so mate - mite need a faset ticket to tie it tho !

no doubt someone will say so,but if you can do that ,whose gona tell you how to do it,if they cant.the lad i worked with down the pit,could splice wire rope,it was taught and passed down skills then.good luck with it.

Dont believe so, however the test certificates would be invalidated so you would need to get the lengthened rope retested.

I am not certain but is suspect the splice would not go through a standard pulley

darsim why do you need an endless rope ? if its for the lads pulling up gear then just knot a light line on the main rope just above the figure of 8 knot and use that for pulling back down the rope.

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:02 PM ----------

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPaayLAS-lA&feature=channel]YouTube - Splicing Two Ropes Together - HD[/ame]

the ginny wheel has a tag for inspection but the rope has been spliced endless with a tail for tying on if tail fails were is the paper chase ?

But aint the tail the main rope why splice it cant you you just tie one end around the stopping knot , that way the tail is the rope and not a splice , ropes should be certified as well now mate.

the actual rope is too thick to tie on the spliced rope is of a thinner guage

darsim

I can only comment on my last experience of using a rope and wheel, this was on an Oil and Gas related Onshore Facility.

I requested a rope and wheel for lifting T&F to the higher lifts of a Birdcage Scaffold only to be told that the Rigging Foreman would have to prepare a Lifting Plan and that any splicing i.e. endless loop and associated 6ft Tail with spliced Dogs Cock for tying on the gear would have to be done by a NVQ Rigger.

By the time it took to get the Lifting Plan done on the Rigging Loft software and the rope Rigged the Lads had hand bowled the gear up :nuts:

lifting plan,certified rope and rigger with nvq to carryout that wee operation your 100% correct mr adams id been splicing rope for near twenty years and i cant touch it now laughable aint it,OH i nearly forgot the route sheet so the transport can bring it all round.

Celticbhoy

Aye, it's nae real eh---Petrofac put me through my OPITO Lifting and Rigging Ticket so I could Rigg a rope and wheel Offshore, Oh aye , and my Lifting Operations so I could sling and land mi gear on partialy erected Scaffolds---as you say all the things we done years ago 40 year before the mast next year August 9 th 2012:eek:

Paddy M8

at wid di fine Paddy M8, in fact yi might be ower qualified for the Task marra ;)

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Celticbhoy---beat mi ti the punch there Man---were on the same wave lengh Man ;)

When I did my CECOL scaff course we learnt all knots (figure of 8 for the bottom and top of the rope so it did not come out of the gin wheel), (rolling hitch for tieing tube) and a board hitch for boards) and we learnt how to splice the rope so I would say it comes with my Advanced ticket.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FA_zxj4N5o]YouTube - How to Tie Rope Knots : Introduction & Reference Guide for Knot Tying Tutorial[/ame]
FFS what next? how to tie bootlaces;)

darsim

I can only comment on my last experience of using a rope and wheel, this was on an Oil and Gas related Onshore Facility.

I requested a rope and wheel for lifting T&F to the higher lifts of a Birdcage Scaffold only to be told that the Rigging Foreman would have to prepare a Lifting Plan and that any splicing i.e. endless loop and associated 6ft Tail with spliced Dogs Cock for tying on the gear would have to be done by a NVQ Rigger.

By the time it took to get the Lifting Plan done on the Rigging Loft software and the rope Rigged the Lads had hand bowled the gear up :nuts:

On BP they were buying rope already spliced with a smaller gauge rope for the tying section. It came with certification along with the wheel. It all stemmed from material falling.

Cape also have a rope tying course for their staff.

IF

Top Bottom