Some guidance needed

speedin

Reaction score
I already made my first post in the new member section. I figured I might as well make a thread in main forum, as it seems like it gets tons more traffic.
My name is Matt, I am a freestyle ski coach here in the US, (Wisconsin). My fellow coaches and myself are trying to figure out new ways we can train our athletes in the off season when there is no snow. I figured this would be a great forum to get advice as its based in the UK. The UK as I am sure most of you know, are the kings of dryslope skiing.
We are interested in constructing a scaffold drop in platform. Something that is decently tall, and steep, to allow a skier to gain enough speed to hit a jump, and land into an airbag. The drop in would be covered in synthetic snow. We don't know anything about scaffolds. So we are looking to gain as much insight and knowledge as possible. We would like to be able to dismantle and move it as well. I have tons of questions, but I will hold out until I get a response first. Please feel free to shoot down our idea if it is not realistic.
Something very similar to this. Not sure how to post pics yet.
Annecy gets Olympic fever | Le Franco Phoney

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo speedin,welcome to the forum. Why not design a curved ramp in sections. would have to be huge tho. sketch and post a pic,might help

Last edited:
Hallo speedin,welcome to the forum. Why not design a curved ramp in sections. would have to be huge tho. sketch and post a pic,might help

I saw an enclosed ski sllope in nz Built on the side of a hill,generated snow I think,must have these in the States

Welcome speedin,it can be done easily enough,in fact i think karl posted a very old pic of one on here not so long ago,it would be a costly exercise to buy and build it though with a big labour cost everytime you wanted it dismantling and re'erecting,but the fella's on here would certainly be able to throw it up and down for you;):cool:

Depends on scale - what height are you looking at??

We designed one a couple of years ago for somewhere in Germany at a Winter market - it was about 30m tall and freestanding - a bit of a monster. As opposed to you guys it didn't get off the ground though! Too expensive I imagine.

Have a nice day:cool:

We designed one a couple of years ago for somewhere in Germany at a Winter market - it was about 30m tall and freestanding - a bit of a monster. As opposed to you guys it didn't get off the ground though! Too expensive I imagine.

Did you look at the link I posted? Something similar to that. Nothing close to 90m. I would say 12-15m tall, and a bit wider to have more then one jump. Giving the skier different sizes of jumps to chose from based on ability.
I have tons of questions. Like I said I am volunteer freestyle ski coach, meaning I don't get paid for it. I do it for the passion I have for skiing, and working with kids. So I hope something like this can be done for a reasonable working mans type of money:wondering: Is this something that could be torn down and put back up reasonably easy? The curved sections make no sense to me. I don't understand how that is done.

Take a look at this one as well.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYiig-hvJKk]Woodward at Copper - YouTube[/ame]

This is pretty close to what I want to achieve. Similar width, maybe a bit taller. And we would be using this outside, set up on grass. So I don't know if that needs to be taken into consideration.

I would like to have stairs on the actual down ramp similar to this one below, to minimize the amount of material I would need to construct stairs behind the platform. Feel free to tell me if my thinking is wrong, as I know nothing.

How about something like this?it's a bit bigger than the one in your link:cool:

Attachments

• ramps-4-L.jpg
    ramps-4-L.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 22
Welcome speedin,it can be done easily enough,in fact i think karl posted a very old pic of one on here not so long ago,it would be a costly exercise to buy and build it though with a big labour cost everytime you wanted it dismantling and re'erecting,but the fella's on here would certainly be able to throw it up and down for you;):cool:

Costly, and big labor costs? Really? Even on something on a small scale as both of the links I have posted examples of? We are not looking to build something 90m tall. We are looking for something that we could transport in our trailer, bring to one of the local parks here and set up in the morning, and tear it down in the evening. It would be myself and 2 other guys operating this. Not possible? You tell me. :)

Costly, and big labor costs? Really? Even on something on a small scale as both of the links I have posted examples of? We are not looking to build something 90m tall. We are looking for something that we could transport in our trailer, bring to one of the local parks here and set up in the morning, and tear it down in the evening. It would be myself and 2 other guys operating this. Not possible? You tell me. :)

Yea mate,my idea of a ski ramp is rather grand compared to yours,i'm sure someone somewhere will have a design for a smaller one that can be built out of system,maybe try layher for this http://www.layher.com.au/assets/images/ev-ramps4.jpg ;)

very unlikely you may be better of with some prefab idea but then again you may also need a crane to construct it

Yea mate,my idea of a ski ramp is rather grand compared to yours,i'm sure someone somewhere will have a design for a smaller one that can be built out of system,maybe try layher for this http://www.layher.com.au/assets/images/ev-ramps4.jpg ;)

Well, I guess the spam blocker gobbled up my post prior. So if I double post this my apologies. Did you look at the link I provided in my original post?
If not here.

I know your idea of a ski ramp and maybe some others on here are much larger then what I had in mind. But I am looking to build something on a smaller scale.
Would something similar to my link be that difficult to construct in a day?? I like how the stairs are on the actual down ramp, so the structure doesn't require a stair case to be built behind it, like in your link that you provided. It would seem having the stairs on the actual ramp would help decrease the amount of material that would be needed.
And as far as your link that you provided, aside from it being constructed into the water, I am not seeing how a crane would be needed? To me it once the design is made, it doesn't look to difficult to build. I could be VERY wrong here. I am thinking no taller then 12-15m high.

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

No more then 12-15m high. Not looking to build a monster by any sorts. Like I said I would like to avoid the staircase behind the structure to avoid more material needed. Have the stairs on the side of the ramp to allow people to go back up. Just looking to make a design small drop in to allow my skiers to hit a jump and land into an air bag. Can this really be that expensive and difficult?

Your best bet would be to contact layher usa Layher USA ? Scaffolding Systems, Scaffolding Products, Industrial Scaffolding show them the pics you've posted and see if they've got the components on the shelf to build what you want,i dont know of any other company that does anything like what you want in system format,layher are very good but they are exspensive,also you may need training in how to erect your structure,i hope you get what you want and good luck pal;):cool:

Your best bet would be to contact layher usa Layher USA ? Scaffolding Systems, Scaffolding Products, Industrial Scaffolding show them the pics you've posted and see if they've got the components on the shelf to build what you want,i dont know of any other company that does anything like what you want in system format,layher are very good but they are exspensive,also you may need training in how to erect your structure,i hope you get what you want and good luck pal;):cool:

Thanks. I guess that's part of my question. The material involved in building something like this. Too me, it seems that most of the material is galvanized tubing and connectors. What special components would be needed to construct something like this? How would it be different then normal components and parts for a regular scaffolding job. The picture that you posted from Layer is basically what I am shoot for, without the staircase on the back, and not involving water.
Looking at that photo, what special parts would be needed? Like I said, to me it seems like its mostly custom cut galvanized tubing, with connectors? Am I missing something?

Seems tricky. But it can be done... there is no such thing as cant. :)

Thanks. I guess that's part of my question. The material involved in building something like this. Too me, it seems that most of the material is galvanized tubing and connectors. What special components would be needed to construct something like this? How would it be different then normal components and parts for a regular scaffolding job. The picture that you posted from Layer is basically what I am shoot for, without the staircase on the back, and not involving water.
Looking at that photo, what special parts would be needed? Like I said, to me it seems like its mostly custom cut galvanized tubing, with connectors? Am I missing something?

Layher will provide a bespoke service,they will produce a technical drawing with all the components in list form and in final position on the drawing,ignore the water,they will customize the ramp to your requirements,ring them,their very good but as i stated earlier their not cheap:)

Me and Mr mcduff put 1 dry slope up at a local comprehensive 1 time many moons ago 6mt height max if i remember with stair access to the front side still took a few hours to erect though problem is not in sections so non portable as such.

maybe next time hes online he can enlighten further as his memory 40ish as opposed to 60ish has an advantage

Seems tricky. But it can be done... there is no such thing as cant. :)

To me. There doesn't look like there is much to it. Take away the staircase, and it looks like it gets even easier. This is, however coming from me who's only experience with scaffolds was when my brother & father in law helped me replace my siding, windows, roof, and gutters on my house. (that is their trade)
The 3 of us built a 35 foot (roughly 11m) scaffold next to my house. It took us under an hour to construct. While I know my project is far more complicated. What is the tricky part? Looking at the scaffolding some of the members on here construct, this looks like a breeze. To me it mostly looks like galvanized tubing, connectors, hardware, and plywood. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Very similar to this. With out the staircase, and not involving water. To me this structure looks like it starts out as an elevated platform, then then angles downward using straight angles. Very confused about the curved section for the actual jump. Would the tubing have to bent?

Attachments

• Ski ramp.jpg
    Ski ramp.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
the tubing wouldnt have to be bent. swivelling couplers could be used or doubling couplers. although im not 100% on that.

Top Bottom