Soldier looking for career change

Dont go for scaffolding mate get your hazardous goods license and get a driving job transporting fuel they will love you being ex services and its better paid than starting at the bottam of a dying trade

Yeah I've already got my hgv and dangerous goods tickets but its the same as everything else they won't touch you till you done years of driving trucks.

So what have you got to lose say you were driving trucks for years or a normal driving job still pays more than a labouring job

I hate to say it but the lads are right , scaffolding is getting harder and harder to keep a regular income . With all those tickets health and safety would be my move . Most safety guys come away with stories of guys losing limbs and well quite frankly sh1te at least your tales will have a bit of credence . Get a NEBOSH course and your laughing .

Welcome to the Forum Jarv

Have a good look around all the sections, you will form your own opinion on scaffolding and scaffolder’s

Have you sat down with a “civi” career advisor, if not, do so. You have a lot of interchangeable skills and qualifications.

If you are looking for a trade forget scaffolding it is only classed as semi-skilled work. In fact I would not bother with the Construction Industry at all. As for the “Health & Safety” sector be prepared for a lot of study, over a number of years, to obtain the top standard required by employers. You will be in competition with university educated guys.

Personally I would be looking to use my brain more than my brawn, as an instructor or manager. Or better still start up your own business, in something you enjoy doing. (There are people looking to invest money, as the interest rate is so low at present.)You appear to be an outdoors-person , consider the leisure industry as in outward bound course’s, or how about Paintballing, kayaking, survival courses, mud crawling.

Is there a Business Management course the Army will fund.

The best of luck for the future whatever you decide,

Thanks for giving the past 12 years to Queen and Country

http://www.superfundaysout.com
“Laser Combat Parties for Adults at the Military Adventure ParkThe Military Adventure Park (MAP) can offer you the ultimate laser combat experience in the North East. Utilising the latest infra-red technology, this is a fast paced, action packed, combat game. Our laser combat parties are perfect for stag and hen groups, or just if you and your mates want to have a laugh.”

Last edited:
What were saying Jamie,is with all those quals,theres a lot better options than scaffolding. If we had those tickets and your age scaffolding wouldnt be the first option.
lol you cant put an old head on young shoulders. Youll probly make a top scaff if thats what your set on.

Many years ago my father left the services after 23 years (war when he joined up) still Love & respect even though he is now in another Place, I was earning double his income when I joined the Scaffolding fraternity at 18, Blisters to prove it at the time.
In the 90s a new neighbour from the forces (Logistics) I managed to get him a few weeks work driving the Hiab Truck, But it was only Temporary so short spell only,after that he got with a reputable Transport Company 2012 still with em,not everybodys choice but it pays the bills till summat else turns up good luck on work Prospects fella.

I hear what your saying lads but I still aint got a clue what todo.
Iv been looking at jobs I would enjoy doing such as pest control, tree surgeon and mostly outdoors work but the money is pretty ***** with no way of makin extra with O/T ect.
I dont mind working away on rigs, shithole countries ect and looked at banksman,crane driving, rope access and all that type of jobs. But again its a long time before your making any decent money.

Welcome jarv , have you considered personal security , must be decent wage to made in body guard work , and 12 years as a commando must qualify.

Good luck whatever u decide m8 , youve the right to do whatever u want , u probably would enjoy the crack of being a scaff , and the money is till there in some jobs .

**** scaffolding mate, its got my back and knees fucked. get into the sercurity on the ships, wish i had done it when i left forces.

Well you & er indoors have got to get together and come up with a Xmas solution,even auction visits & purchases then car boot your gear is worth considering (Tax Free),
Even What you consider Household Rubbish you might have is someone elses Treasure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom