Soldier looking for career change

jarv5116

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am 30 and live in the central scotland belt.
Currently serving in the armed forces as a commando for the past 12 years.
I have about 6 months left in the forces and wondering if I am to old to start scaffolding. As I havnt got a clue what to do when I leave.
I have my lgv and hgv ect.
Also the forces will pay for my part 1 ect
Am I to old to get a start in scaffolding?

This my qualifications I have
MDJI Material Accountant
Vehicle Servicing Course
Dangerous goods Consignor Air, Adr and Maritime
Level 2 3 and 4 Motor transport. Stores and accounts.
Full clean Driving license HGV Class 1 (C+E).
Service Driving Instructor
Hazardous goods license (ADR) all categories 1-9
Ammo Store man
Combat Medical Tech Class 1 ( Including two weeks environmental health studies) Pre Hospital Emergency Care (PHEC) Black
Serpent Helicopter escape and helicopter Fast Roping exits.
Dive Medicine
Regimental Ammo Rep
Battle field casualty and Basic life support instructor
Health and safety management.
Asbestos Awareness.
Environment Awareness
Working at height Awareness.
Manual Handling.
Command and leadership Course.
Mountain Leader.
First Aid at work.
All Arms Commando Course.
Advance
Skiing. Kayaking level 3.
Padi open water diver.
Advanced Free Fall course (AFF) Completing 38 jumps.
Radio Operator Level 1 and 2.
Arctic and jungle warfare. Sea Survival and fire Fighting.

your not too old bud a lot of ex servicemen find their way to scaffolding.
i reckon you should try the diving side myself as there is more cash.
there are a few companies round your neck of the woods and you have Grangemouth refineries and all the other chemical plants on your doorstep,so you should get work.I always suggest street work first as you learn to work hard and fast.
all the best with whatever career route you go down.

With that list,you can be whatever you want mate. Good luck pal

You'll be fine starting at 30, the HGV is a huge bonus too.

fek me marra got some tickets there fink nasa recruting when the new ships build maby you could build it lol joking a side its hard graft youll know about ti in all weather youll know about it treat like a c@nt youll know about it over worked youll know about it. maby scaffs life is for you but with what you have you may find a easier way to make money the choise is your but if you do choose scaffolding you got a good foot int he door with you driving good luck marra and thanks for keeing us all safe ;)

forget scaffolding ..get yourself a job as a radio operator on one of the rigs or vessels..that is if you dont mind being away from home ....

Fucck this shiit mucker get on the circuit i'm sure someone somewhere needs a pmc cabbage head remf driver

I just havnt got a clue what to do when I leave the forces next year and speculating in what my new career is going to be.
How long does it usualy take to be earning decent money scaffolding?
What are firms looking for at Dockyards and Bp grangemouth, Ticket wise before they will take you on?
Another maybe stupid question, but what sort of salary is scaffolders on that work offshore? Iv got few mates that work offshore but dont know if they billy bull ***** about there wages or not. Iv goggled it and cant find any info either.

Thanks jamie

On the uk system Offshore most lads take home around 2300 quid

Fucck this shiit mucker get on the circuit i'm sure someone somewhere needs a pmc cabbage head remf driver

I know mate Im trying not to go down the Circuit or marintime route. Its good money but you cant sustain the work.
I fancy offshore but I need to get a trade first.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

On the uk system Offshore most lads take home around 2300 quid

Can you work abroad africa and such on oil rigs aswell?
Or do they employ the locals?

africa is the last place you wabnt to be on a rig..its a S-hit -hole...

you could get into grangemouth labouring to the scaffs,but if you are really wanting to do scaffolding get a couple of years at least on doing street work before you get spoiled with the offshore and petrochem stuff.
Aand R in plean are a good wee outfit and they also have the maintenance work in caberboard were you will get some variation in the work.
i would agree with jonny radio operator offshore or even the diving or ROV side would welcome you with open arms

;)I was in a 5*hotel in mauritius last xmas sipping a pina colada.when i looked up from my kindle to the sound of "hey up mucker" only to see an old m8 on the maritime on a freebe stopover down from dubai $300 per day on a 14 rotation. No trouble as they now go so far out from somalia...so me thinks a nice tan &wedge full of naffi tokens wins against bad backs and dripping wet clothes:cool:

;)I was in a 5*hotel in mauritius last xmas sipping a pina colada.when i looked up from my kindle to the sound of "hey up mucker" only to see an old m8 on the maritime on a freebe stopover down from dubai $300 per day on a 14 rotation. No trouble as they now go so far out from somalia...so me thinks a nice tan &wedge full of naffi tokens wins against bad backs and dripping wet clothes:cool:

Yeah I know what you mean mate there getting about 5k for just over 2 weeks transits.
That why I cant really decide what I want to do, I was looking to get a trade (scaffolding) then go offshore after 4 or 5 years.
Or just go down the maritime, Security or supply boats.
I dont mind going away on rotations,Im just pead of with the forces and getting shat on lol

I know a couple of ex soldiers who got into welding inspection N.D.T and are doing alright now .The forces will pay for some courses won't they?

How about doing the survival training etc, they usually look for fit blokes.
Or do your nebosh, shouldnt be too hard with all the quals you have. Dont waste those quals scaffolding ffs.....

I know a couple of ex soldiers who got into welding inspection N.D.T and are doing alright now .The forces will pay for some courses won't they?

Yeah the forces will pay for alot of the courses.
But again I think it would be quite hard getting a start doing rope access and ndt.
i just thought I could do scaffolding as older lad and pick it up as go along do few years get all my tickets and go offshore but dont know if i day dreaming.

Dont go for scaffolding mate get your hazardous goods license and get a driving job transporting fuel they will love you being ex services and its better paid than starting at the bottam of a dying trade

Top Bottom