so what's the most hilarious thing that ever happened to a scaffolder?

njw3000

Reaction score
Hi there, scafflers. (My dad reckons that "scaffler" was a term used when he was a scaffolder in London in the 1960s and 70s.)

I introduced myself to this forum several months ago, as I'm writing a novel loosely based on my dad, who worked in scaffolding from the late 1950s to the 1980s. When was the last time you read a novel based on scaffolding?! (Never, I'll wager.)

Anyway, can anyone tell me some funny things that have happened on a scaffolding rig? (Do you call it a rig?)

Thanks in anticipation,

Nigel.

PS: my dad worked for SGB and then Digby (the latter was a small company in London).

so what's the most shocking thing that ever happened to a scaffolder?

And following on from my previous post, I need some shocking incidents from the scaffolding trade for my novel. I need some detail about scaffolding, preferably from the 1960s, 70s and 80s. I've no doubt there have been some cowboys out there. My dad mentioned to me about some criminal types who used to buy stolen scaffolding with no questions asked. He once had to testify in the Old Bailey. Anyone know anything about this? (Message me if you prefer - I don't need names and I'm genuinely writing a novel!)

Alternatively, what are the worst accidents or cock-ups you've witnessed?

thanks in anticipation,

Nigel.

If your old man is still going, then no doubt he will have told you about the Barton Bridge disaster when a few lads were killed on it in the 60's.
no, he's never mentioned that. Barton Bridge is up near Manchester, isn't it? What happened?

Ask him about Cornbrook Scaffolding in the late 70's.
Never a dull moment there. You could write a book or make a comedy play on that firm alone and it would be a best-seller in weeks.
I mean the stuff that went on there was legendary.

Ask him about Cornbrook Scaffolding in the late 70's.
Never a dull moment there. You could write a book or make a comedy play on that firm alone and it would be a best-seller in weeks.
I mean the stuff that went on there was legendary.
yes, John, give me a "for instance"!

Not too sure mate as I was only a kid. My old man was a scaffolder and told me what happened. A few of his mates were killed on it,though he himself didnt work on it . Apparently due to a scaffold collapse. Try the Manchester Evening News archives or google it and see what comes up. It will be there no doubt. Good luck.
ps I am also curious about it so I will try myself.

If your serious about getting this correct why not see if you can get a few weeks work with a local firm work with some of the lads get a jist of this game maybe pickup a few good stories aswell or just maybe ask a firm can you call around during loading etc speak to some of the guys. Oh and watch top banana doc on you tube

Yes, I am serious. I have thought about doing that and I know someone at work who's husband has a scaffolding co. so I'm going to talk to him and ask if I can hang around his yard for a bit. I live in Manchester now.

No, John the Manc, I'm not trying to get arrested?!!

OK One 'for instance'. During a christmas drink when we broke up, the yard worker at the time was always on the cadge to us kids.
I pi$$ed in his drink, but he complained to the landlord that the beer was warm and 'off'.
The landlord took a swig instead!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Two of the lads had to go out the door. They were in fu.king tears laughing...

You can pm me for more if you wish.
I'll get back to you tomorrow.

OK One 'for instance'. During a christmas drink when we broke up, the yard worker at the time was always on the cadge to us kids.
I pi$$ed in his drink, but he complained to the landlord that the beer was warm and 'off'.

John, that is a bloody classic. How could I not use that?!! Nice one, mate.

Yes, I'll PM you, but gotta go to bed now. Cheers, Nigel.

ok one 'for instance'. During a christmas drink when we broke up, the yard worker at the time was always on the cadge to us kids.

john, that is a bloody classic. How could i not use that?!! Nice one, mate.

Yes, i'll pm you, but gotta go to bed now. Cheers, nigel.

ort lads nice to see the forum runnign liek it should with this topic. I have merged the two threads as they were on the same topic hope this dosent cause any confusion

Many years ago had a scaffold to strike in a fairly quiet but hilly street. The trailer was going to arrive later so were looking for somewhere to stack gear temporarily. There was a coach parked right by the job. The labour a lad called Mervyn checked that there was no one inside and started leaning boards and tube carefully against the side of the coach. Imagine everyones horror when the coach engine roared into life and the coach pulled away sending gear tumbling. The driver had been having a kip in the back seat.

Many years ago had a scaffold to strike in a fairly quiet but hilly street. The trailer was going to arrive later so were looking for somewhere to stack gear temporarily. There was a coach parked right by the job. The labour a lad called Mervyn checked that there was no one inside and started leaning boards and tube carefully against the side of the coach. Imagine everyones horror when the coach engine roared into life and the coach pulled away sending gear tumbling. The driver had been having a kip in the back seat.
yeah, that's a good one, Havespanner. Can't say I think it was a good idea to lean stuff against a coach, but what do I know? Ha ha. Thanks though, I'll use that. :)

One dayy me and usman were workin in street and i ask him for a 10 footing tube and he brung me bac a 5 footings tube. Oh howings we laugh so much

Top Bottom