Snow...

We managed to get work today, had to travel around 50 miles to get it though and only got there as the road squad was on the ball and cleared the main road at least. It's just started snowing here again and if it continues there will definitely be no graft tomorrow. The large firms can't be expected to be able to run their business like a small outfit such as mine but the boy's I currently have are all willing to go the extra mile for me all year long, early start and late finishes so they have a good few hours in the bank, it can't go on for ever but I always give the boys at least 39 hours but to be honest they probably work 50 hours for around 40 weeks of the year. There will be some hours involved servicing gear but not many as it's pretty cold even for that.

you on the ineos plant???hertel??still no snow in london yet mate,seen pics on the net looked pretty deep.

Contracts should be given after 3 months employment. If companies pay out wages for no work then they would not last long. The contract should have act of god & adverse weather in it!

Ragscaff

yas there is companies that do it. Im at home now getting paid. If i didnt get paid i wouldnt be at that company much longer. I will also keep getting paid until the weather gets better. In my experience companies only get away with what you let them. Stand up for what you are legally entitled to.
Good for you sitting at home getting paid. Quote, If I did'nt get paid, I would'nt be at that company much longer. So then where would you be?. possibility sitting at home not getting payed. Your lucky to be in the stuation your in, there are other scaffs dont have the same luxury.Quote. I will also be getting paid until the weather gets better, stand up for what your legally entitled to. Thats a defiant statement, You should be hoping the weather gets better because your employer has legal rights too. He can close the site on H/S grounds and lay you off till the weather improves, In fact he could even lay you of temporary due to lack of work, thats another legal right he has. Legal rights extend to everyone and every situation, If in doubt your union will verify all this.

think the whole reason your in the position you are in jai is down to health and saftey,i presume your on for hertel in grangemouth on job of that like ie a very lucrative money earner for your company.on the retendering of the contract companies such as ineos will look past your companys tender and inspect their h&s record,so an accident in the snow could lead to the loss of a highly luccrative contract.much better to cabin the men up or send them home rather than take chances with their unblemished h&s record.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

how good are barcelona 2-0 against real.

[/COLOR]how good are barcelona 2-0 against real.[/QUOTE]

Bah! I had a pony on Barcelona winning 1-0 :sad:

Brandy if i wasnt there would be back offshore either way you get bad weather cant work in it. The reason i say that is ive always been in the oil industry, petro-chem or offshore so maybe i dont know any different. Thats why i stick by what i say.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

no im on kinneal the bp plant. with bis mate. thinking of going back offshore for a bit.

Well said mate a lot of these firms make a fortune from taking the p!!s out of the blokes that line their pockets. If your willing to work your contracted hours and they send you home you should be paid the full whack.

Jai, I take your point, I was'nt having a go, Different branch of the industry, better conditions, and the wages of the men are just a drop in the ocean compared to the profits the oil companies are turning over. They can well afford to stand down the men, and the company your on for will more than likely have that clause in their contract as its all H/S on those jobs, so their covered. Anyway best of luck, they'll have you back on the graft soon.

feel the same lads,i am with a company,that states in the contract,that they will pay me for 39hrs but i haven't been able to get to work,for the last 2dys n now wondering if i will get paid for them!. not my fault that the job has been shut down or that i cant get to it cos of public transport!.

brandy. sound mate i see your point aswell mate. its just i dont know any different, i was more thinking of what my company should be doing and paying, as you said they make millions and i just want a we crumb of them.

Site we are on in Oldham refused to close the site yesterday despite 4ins of snow,saved us loosing a days pay because that's what would have happened.The way the beauts we work for get round sending you home in bad weather is give you the choice of going the yard and servicing fittings or you can knock off.You then loose the full day.Same thing last New year when it was bad,got told there was work in Chester,could't get the car out of the road let alone to friggin Chester,lost 4 days.Spent hour and a half stuck in traffic this morning just getting to Stockport,beginning to think is it worth risking life and limb to put jobs up no one can work on!!!

Simple answer is no 1969scaff. It's tough if there's no cash but it's not worth getting hurt for any job. Some of these roads are killers at the best of times but covered in snow and ice is just mental.

Top Bottom