Smsts

S

steveo south east

:worried:I have booked my smsts which starts on monday and will let you know my view of the course once i hopefully pass. Does anyone know if its a lot of writing as i only own a marker pen.

Hahaha, better get yourself a couple of red bull's for the homework that you are set each night. Make sure all the sh1t about CDM Regs don't go in one ear and out of the other (Until friday afternoon) as there are 5 questions on that in the test paper. If you don't like speaking in public for the big task on the last day then....''oh dear'' :laugh:

cdms? oops i should have looked at the content speaking in public i am good at shouting. will there be a role play on a site?. I think i am going to struggle on new words. I hope this course is served in laymen terms

I cant even remember what smsts stands for,let alone the cdm regs:laugh::laugh:

Steveo,Done this a few years back, Its mainly health and saftey course,you get a pre test, 25 questions multiple choice, this test doesnt count for anything you will be surprised at what you dont know. The instuctor will guide you thru the main points. At the end of it,you have a better uderstanding of h/s issue's.

That's true Frederik but on the other side of the coin it will also surprise you how much you already know. I did find it useful but more for the good contact I made with the instructor who gave me a load of paper work to keep me right which was really descent of him despite me giving him a hard time as I really hated being on the course when there were jobs to go up. Finally we came to an understanding when I explained everyone else in the room were going back to be wee office bys and girls but I had to get it right as there was no one keeping me right.

My advice would be listen to what ever the instructor has to say, be honest with him and during the last exercise stick to what you know and sub everything else out.:cool:

Amazingly,everyone passed, They wouldnt release our scores in the final exam. One company had 6 delegates 2couldnt speak Engish very well. Personally,it was good for me as far as stucture and clearing up a lot of grey areas. Opened a few as well. Like working at height being on ground level. simian will argue against that one.

There will always be grey areas which would come amazingly clear in the event of something happening, you were in the wrong and are about to feel the full weight of the law.

Mine has run out and has now for a while but I'm actually quite glad as I intend doing the scaffolding supervisors just as soon as the work calms down. I feel the scaffs would be better doing this one than the smsts as it should be more specific to our trade.

Agree with you there aom,smsts seemed more for site managers,but does hi-light statute laws and regulations. Shame H/S dont follow up on what they preach. The photo's Ive posted for example.

Agreed but can you imagine the roasting should anything happen on that site. It can be dis heartening when you see jobs like this, I saw a couple of belters today but to be honest I don't really care what anyone else does or how their jobs look I just want to be able to sleep easy at night.

I thought that, but the dilemma was do i do a qualification which is specific to one trade, at least with this course i might be able to bail into something else

Very true Steve, I just think from a scaffs point of view who has no intention of leaving the trade but if you are the smsts is the one to get.

I cant even remember what smsts stands for,let alone the cdm regs:laugh::laugh:

SMSTS: Site Management Safety Training Scheme???

Something like that i believe... i could have just gooooooooooooooooogle'd it, but i couldn't be bothered, lol.

Jase,i was joking i knew it was something like that lol,as it happens,i booked two of our lads on it only yesterday in the college virtually across the rd from our yard,very handy,it cost £68 per candidate but the gangs are covered for supervision;)

68 quid FFS tell me your joking, it costs hundreds up here.

Nice mate, nice.

Thats something ill be looking at this year, starting with the SSSTS though. :)

thats cheap :nuts:mine has set me back 714 in total for the course and lite lunch :eek:h: and a weeks wage

thats cheap :nuts:mine has set me back 714 in total for the course and lite lunch :eek:h: and a weeks wage

That's more what we would pay as well, it can some times be a bit cheaper through the training group but dates are very erratic.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Where the fcuk are you getting your BF, MacDonalds?:bigsmile:

68 quid FFS tell me your joking, it costs hundreds up here.

Its the two day one aom,the five day one is £210,but thats not the scaffolders specific one,all these initialed courses confuse the feck out of me lol,i was offered a free nebosh but did'nt fancy a day in a classroom every week:rolleyes:

These are ncc funded courses,something called ELMS funded courses north wales 2012

Last edited:
Didn't know you could do it in 2, they are all 5 days round here but the truth is it could easily have been done in 2. Still cheap when you consider what we pay.

And just for the record they confuse the feck out of me too.

Top Bottom