SGB - coming back!

purplehead

Reaction score
I've heard from a friend who works for harsco that after the sale late last year that they will be changing the UK company name back to SGB. Everything will be rebranded to the SGB name. Will be good to see the famous old name back again.

I for one will always have a soft spot for sgb as I started there

But I spoke to an old mate on there and a part 2 would get 120 top whack and that's a whole tenner more than 10 years ago

Most these big companys paye below average wage on a 38 hr week the rates pretty poor its only around 15 quid and a few pence but when the overtime kicks in after 38hrs and you get the weekend rates that 15 turns into 30 a hour sgb always payed travel and time half double time weekends were some firms will paye 140 150 a day but thats over all hourswith no premium rates so what you lose on the rate you make it on overtime

There's no management left Scaffy 1980, there all on D+R!!

The name change has already taken place and..... It's not SGB it's changed to Brand.

Don't want to be a tart and say I told you so....but I told you so harsco will be SGB from the end of this week!

Harsco Infrastructure changed to Brand on Scunthorpe steel works last year. Now weather they sold off that subsidiary to Brand after Harsco closed the Immingham depot remains to be seen? But I was told that Brand bought Harsco infrastructure out. But either way I would be happy to see SGB back among the big boys because I believe they where the best of the bunch.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

And to add I hope they f.uck the Harsco management right off!

Totally agree re management...they have people who know f@!k all about scaffolding and think they work for Microsoft! It's a scaffold company! These are the people who ruined the company.

When I was a lad there was Mills, SGB, Palmers, and Turners in my neck of the woods.

They were all good outfits The rates of pay and outputs were very similar and between them they undertook most of the large jobs as well as undertaking street works,power stations, high rise, petrol-chemical, railway works, In fact anywhere scaffold was required.

Scaffolders obtained a wide variety of different working environments. We moved between power stations,street work,high rise, railway work without batting an eye lid.The thing was we were scaffolding experts and allowed to use our brains and skills. :cool:

Today's scaffolding game is a completely different set up to the one I joined back in the sixties, as are the companies within it. Some may carry the "old" name but in no way are they the same companies.

The days of the artisan scaffolder are long gone. Shame.

The Days Of The Thinking Scaffolder Seem To Be Over Certainly, It Seems You Cant Put A Job Up Without A Drawing Or A Method Statement. What A Crock Of Pish The Scaffolders I Started With Would Be Laughing There Ballocks Off.

True, the over use of system scaffold is major factor too on the Voe only 10% of work (Bilfinger) is tube & fitting the local lads really have no clue what they're doing when it comes to tube & fitting, which is a scaffolders bread and butter. Although Stork who are also on the Voe who's scaffolders are travelling lads only use tube & fitting it should be said.

Top Bottom