Servicemen thinking of taking the leap

You should not have to pay for PPE as it is law that the employer provides it for their employees. Only things you might have to buy is belt, spanner and spirit level which can be found easily enough by clicking on the BuyBrandTools ad at the side or any other suppliers etc...

Jay, you must have misread the posts as all ppe will be supplied by your employer. If ever you do get asked if you have your own gear that's usually a sign to bail. On the odd occasion, an experienced scaffolder might be asked if his start date came up quick and the correct ppe was not ordered on time or even worse if you have to go to an agency. Don't worry about the questions either, if you were the usual know all nobody would answer them for you.

Must be an agency Jay, best avoided if possible.

Cheers mate I wasn't going to apply just sort of assumed this was a common thing .

I've sent out a few emails today to local scaffold companies , I'm going to ring around Monday and pop my head into some yards

I'm going to get my cscs license asap as my mate is a site gaffer and reckons he could get me the day work with the scaffold companie which he uses .

Nice one let us know what happens. I hope your not just going for the big outfits, give the smaller firms a go too, sometimes they can be better at recognising a good individual.

I'm trying anybody and everybody and putting the word about with local lads in the pub , see if anything comes from it .

Problem is I only moved my town about 3 months prior to joining army so don't know a lot of people to ask , what sort of day rate do you think I will be getting when I start out ?

Mmm, that's a tough one. As I have said in other threads I pay on ability, the problem here is I have nothing to compare. The most I have paid a labourer was £8 an hour but he couldn't drive the van let alone the truck. If I were taking on an apprentice he would be even lower than that due to other costs. It also depends on area, I have no knowledge of the south whatsoever so I would be guessing. The thing to remember is sometimes going in low can work out more beneficial in the end, you usually find you can't have it both way's. You will obviously earn more as a driver labourer to start as opposed a trainee but you will have no real place to go from there. I know you want to be earning but you have to make a bit of sacrifice to get where you want to be.

Oh of course mate Im not expecting to clear mega money but its nice to know what sacrifices I'll have to make as I've got bills etc .

Even £8 for a 8 hour day isnt to outrageous .

A city area will earn you more cash, the lgv will add more again then there is the Army background which has got to be worth something even today. If you want trained well that's where the wheeling and dealing can start.

Thanks AOM between you and andy I think I should do alright now I've gotta ring around and find out if anybody's taking on and what sort of money were talking and get a CV knocked up .

Jay if it's the south east yer looking at try N.T. Rix in Dover or BJ Scaff in Folkestone, two good companies that are always on the look out for driver/labourers, hope this helps

Thanks bru im from south east central more then , bucks/herts area

Grab a copy of yellow pages n phone all the companies in it allways worked for me. Good luck.

Top Bottom