Servicemen thinking of taking the leap

jay787

Reaction score
Alrite lads as your probably all aware alot of cuts are happening in the army and I've bin thinking of leaving .

I was after some advice/info , I'm 20 , I've got my full class one driving licenses , I'm physically fit , I'm quite highly 1st aid trained and would like to become a scaffolder.

I've got £2500 I can spend on courses this year how much would I be looking at spending on my part 1 and 2 ? Can you recommend any other courses which would work well in my favour like health and safety ?

I'm currently clearing around 1400 after tax and NI , will I be losing out on much as a newly trained scaffolder?

Do you think I'll find it hard to get taken on I'm from the south east

Thanks in advance Jay .

Hi Jay and welcome to the forum. I would hazard a guess and suggest that you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a job as a trainee scaff given your training. I hope that's not your cash your talking about splashing on training? If it's a grant get in touch with Simian our site sponsors who would give the best advice on how to get the best training but I would say get out there and talk to a few companies for experience and who would be only to pleased to send a hard working individual for his ticket's. Good luck with the search.

aom- no the £2500 is something the army offers you called enhanced learning credits , not many companies recognise them unfortunately . But I could stump around £1500 cash myself .

Last edited:
Your cash would be better kept in your pocket for the moment. If the credits have to be spent maybe use them to give yourself a wee edge in the scaffold world which in my mind would be an lgv license. Before you do anything get in touch with Simian for a bit more definitive advice. The way the grant system is set up it actually costs very little for a scaffold firm to get you your tickets, it's more the time that's the problem. What I can tell you is if 6 young lads turned up at my yard looking for work tomorrow I can assure you the one with the lgv would get it, in fact just a car license would be nice.

I have my full hgv license i can drive artics ( class 1 )

What you worrying about then, your in. Start introducing yourself round some firms, I'm sure you won't be looking for too long.

Cheers for boost of confidence mate I've bin in army since I was 16 and you hear horror storeys about how theirs no jobs because of the recession .

Cheers for boost of confidence mate I've bin in army since I was 16 and you hear horror storeys about how theirs no jobs because of the recession .

You'll get scaffolding work no problem mate.

Listen to what AOM said - Wise words...

Good luck.

There is work for the right people, hard working, eager to learn and some sort of history that show's a bit of staying power and an ability to learn new skills. As long as your willing to graft I don't see a problem.

What sort of money would I be clearing a month roughly ? If I have the time and opportunity to do my part 1 and 2 as soon as possible .

Hay jay many ex army ect lads have lgv but many cant drive for toffee !!!

Id say Id fit that description , I've done a 7 month tour of afghan so I'm happy to do a hard days work lol .

I've done 4 years in the army and gained promotion .

I'm on 3 weeks summer leave , and I've bin doing labouering with a mate free of charge for the experience and to see if I enjoyed it .

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

Scaffy I'm a driver by trade so I consider myself pretty good at it considering my age.

well said jay lad! u,ll get work no problem but listen 2 the lads on here, an the advice they are giving you on what 2do 1st, not stupid remarks about ya driving skills! chinup mate an goodluck

Simian - I will send you an email in morning , do you recognise the ELC scheme ?

Murphy - thanks good to see 99% of this forum has positive things to say.

Good on ya jay you wont regret this industry

Well if anybody in the south east, bucks could recommend any company's for me to get in touch with it would be appreciated .

Last edited:
I've read in some of the threads that PPE isn't supplied , how much would I be looking at paying 4 a set ?

What would I need ? Hard hat , gloves , harnesses , hi vis .

I apologise for all the questions just wanna leave the army as prepared as possible to what I'm getting into

Top Bottom