School leaver wage

I know he's ur son & u want him to earn well but ffs we all had to start somewhere & thats got to be @ the bottom- if he's as good as u think he'll get work s8 away & wont be on peanuts for long...but lets be honest paying these boys over inflated wages for there inexperiance does our industry no favours and pushes up prices to where they cant be sustained. The youngens need to build bridges today to cross 2moro

Jason....cynical ,maybe a little

Last edited:
Well said sp. i started at the bottom on 40 a day back in 1996, rope and wheel all fecking day, getting beasted by 3 jocks. BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE. made me the scaff i am today..

personally i think 3 quid odd is a **** take you wouldnt offer a fella in his 30's should be around 40- 50 for any job for any kid , i dont agree with paying apprentice wages ither. i worked again; plumbing and all they do is use you for cheap labour 80 a week and after first 6 12 motnhs ya doign same sort of work as there quallyfied plumbers first and second fixing for 80 a week its a **** take theve left school maby driving car insurance petrol etc £3 ph wont go no where, av been there dont that got stung a few time grafting for fek all to get nvq but never materialized then another 2 years spend grafting for next to nothing to get another nvq ...finally got it but its took its feking time coz of a **** take of a gaffers but then again i dont thingk any lad under 20 should be scaffolding because of the commitment and the graft 90% havent got it in them under that age so yes they may be only worth £3 ph to the firm but no 1 can live on that best sticking to the older lads just my opinion lol

I was paid £60 a day, which went upto £80 after about 6 months, when id grafted my balls off.
This was in 1997 too.

********. You started around the same time as me! There was no fooking £60's a day flying around for a lab! Even up London you was lucky to get a score/£30.

started Scaffs Labourer in 1969 age 18 - 12 quid a week after tax never look back, put your graft in money wise its been uphill ever since now im comfortable.

********. You started around the same time as me! There was no fooking £60's a day flying around for a lab! Even up London you was lucky to get a score/£30.

I was on 16 hours a day @ £3.65 an hour = roughly £60 a day.
Which when upto 20 hours a day, same rate = about £77 a day.

Dont ask me why the TRAD boys were paid like that, but they were.
I was paid the same.

But you was expected to work, so they got their moneys worth out of ya.

Just pay them wot they're worth but no more until they prove they're worth it. simples.

Ok... lets see how many "Scaffolders" i can upset here.
(PERFECT scenario, lol)

Not sure about where you live Jase but here is how it seems to work round here.

Kid, hey baw bag, gie us a job.
Me, Fook off.
Kid, Gie us a job, I'm brilliant, fit, strong, work for fun and I have a licence.
Me, ok numbnuts, be at my yard in the morning, if you can stand up a long you get a seat in the truck.

Kid turns up and crumples like a cheap suit but gets a seat anyway. He also gets a pre-employment medical questionnaire and a quick induction. He is issued with reams and reams of paperwork explaining our anti bullying policy, equality, diversity and inclusion policy, employment pack including terms and conditions and so many others my head is starting to nip just thinking about it.

He then is suited and booted head to foot in decent ppe, none of your cheap guff but fit for purpose ppe. Once ready for site, he sits his wee backside in the truck or van and settles down for a nap as he gets chauffeured to the site where another induction will be waiting for him. He will be lucky to shift 50 boards the first day.

A couple of weeks graft (use the term lightly) and he is signed up to the apprentice scheme where the recommended wage is £3.45 an hour for 39 hours. That's poor, we more than double that before sending them to a training centre for their main induction for 2 weeks where they learn how to lift and handle material safely.

You know the rest and how it goes, but I can assure you, it is a long way from how I or anyone else my age started in this game, admittedly rightly so.

You missed the bit alister where after his induction @ the training centre & his weeks jolly on full pay....1 of 2 things happen....by which time ur now into him for several thousand he comes back full beans & tells you ur doin it all wrong & he wants a pay rise to stay...or comes back all dejected cos its too ard & borin, time keeping starts to slip then the inevitible phone call from his mummy to say his back hurts & he wont be coming back

Or he cant come in cos his hamsters died or his dogs not well. maybe even cant find his hair gel....:nuts:

Top Bottom