Scaffolding Terminology

ZachElwood

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I'm not a scaffolder, but I'm writing a script for a training video. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

This will be primarily made for American markets, but of course I'd like to make it a valuable tool for any scaffolding beginners. One of my main questions starting out was this: Are terms like 'transverse' and 'longitudinal' actually used in the scaffolding industry by average workers?

I realize this is a UK forum, so I might get some different perspectives than if I asked an American worker. OSHA materials routinely mention these terms, and while I'm sure these terms are important for the qualified scaffolding engineer to know, I wonder if it's important to teach those terms in the context of a basic training course.

Any help appreciated - especially considering I'm a bit of an "outsider". Thanks!

Short answer is no, and I think the term is "Traverse" as for longtidudinal I'm not even sure that's a word.:D

I take it you are referring to working toward an open edge when using the word traverse and diagonal façade brace for the other word.

In the OSHA and American usage I'm currently researching, 'longitudinal' in scaffolding construction just refers to anything that's parallel to the long side of the scaffold. 'Transverse' refers to anything that's parallel to the short side - or at a right angle to the long side in other words. Here's a link that describes these terms as I understand them: Scaffolding eTool: Glossary

Thanks for the response!

Zach

This sounds like techy speak for ledgers and transoms . If you are speaking to regular guys I would simplify it .

Potato, potato, let's call the whole thing off.(Rigger will love this:laugh:)
Sorry Zach, I reckon you could get very confused listening to our terms as we would of your's. I'm afraid you would definitely need 2 different versions of your training video for both sides of the pond.

Yeah, there's definitely some different lingo, that's for sure. My goal is always to write to the widest possible audience, so that requires doing a good amount of research and kind of surrounding myself with the way people are talking about things. It's always a challenge to differentiate between what is 'technical speak' and what is 'worker speak'. A lot of regulations use 'technical speak' that isn't very useful for communicating to people new to the industry. I think that's the weakness of a lot of training material - not thinking enough about their audience.

In the case of 'transverse' and 'longitudinal' - I think they're just general technical speak for longways and shortways in any setting. Not of much use for the average worker I'm sure.

Thanks everyone!

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Here's an interesting one for you: How do you guys in UK use the terms 'scaffolding' versus 'scaffold'? Is it interchangeable? What do you think the differences are? Here's a language forum I was reading that started to address the issue:

scaffold vs scaffolding - WordReference Forums

My take is "Scaffold" is a complete structure where "scaffolding is the raw materials required to complete the project. Not all will agree but I think it will mean different things to different people.

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

But if I'm honest, I think I must have been absent when we did that at school.:D

Scaffold is the noun (name of the structure) were as scaffolding is a verb i.e look they guys are scaffolding .
Why am I writing this stuff , quick to the pub .

were as scaffolding is a verb i.e look they guys are scaffolding .

Your spelling is atrocious scaffarobo, never mind the pub, you want to get yourself a good tutor.:D:D

Hi, everyone. I'm not a scaffolder, but I'm writing a script for a training video. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

This will be primarily made for American markets, but of course I'd like to make it a valuable tool for any scaffolding beginners. One of my main questions starting out was this: Are terms like 'transverse' and 'longitudinal' actually used in the scaffolding industry by average workers?

I realize this is a UK forum, so I might get some different perspectives than if I asked an American worker. OSHA materials routinely mention these terms, and while I'm sure these terms are important for the qualified scaffolding engineer to know, I wonder if it's important to teach those terms in the context of a basic training course.

Any help appreciated - especially considering I'm a bit of an "outsider". Thanks!

This Youtube video will give a basic breakdown of the scaffold terminology used within the UK [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh1Z-i14-h0]YouTube - Introduction to Scaffolding : Basic Terms[/ame] I hope this helps.

kind regards

Reg

No I suppose not, but one thing would be nice.:laugh:

Scaffolding v Scaffold. Are they interchangeable ?. Try this, I erected a scaffold today. v I was scaffolding today. The term scaffolding in this case describes the type of work I done to erect the scaffold. However in another context, There was a scaffold erected around a building, or the building was covered in scaffolding. both terms seem the same. My question is, How long is a piece of string.?

Yeah, there's definitely a lot of differences in usage. In the U.S., people regularly use the term 'scaffolding' as a noun, not a verb. I saw that video someone posted earlier today - it was a really good explanation of the major terms. Thanks, everyone.

Zach, it's like a different language. I regularly visit family in Jacksonville and I've almost giving up speaking to the locals as they can't understand a word I say. The wee nieces love it and are now fluent in jockaneese.:D If it helped, mission accomplished.:cool:

Transverse bracing is usually called ledger bracing over here and longditudinal bracing is called face or facade bracing, any other terms your looking for translation of just pop them in here and i'm sure the guys will let you know.
Anything from positive ties to plan bracing, droppers and check fittings lol

Hello Zach , your gonna find a regional difference as to what things are called even in England. What we in Londonn call "Hemps" (joining vertical tubes) lads up North call "Toppers"
What we call "Hangers" in London they call "Droppers" up North.
What we call "Ledger bracing" they call "Rakers" up North

of course the London name for things is the proper name :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom