scaffolding dvd

fat boy

Reaction score
I was given this DVD today buy a good friend (scaffolder)
SG4:05 is it any good for me starting off as a trainee scaff???
its the only training he can give me right now as he is quiet only working 3 day weeks at the mo..

He said its a wise move to invest in some tools and harness and good boots
as ill be in them all day.

It's eight years out of date mate. Would be okay for the fundamentals I suppose but the regulations and guidelines change so some of the information will be dated and incorrect.

Throw it in the bin, absolutely useless. You will learn more in a shift with scaffolders, and don't waste your money on a harness either as you won't be anywhere a leading edge for the first 6 months anyway.

You risk getting booted off site or even prosecuted for working to that, that's how we use to work and, to many, its the safest way to work. But you need SG4:10 to be up to date.

Good boots was good advice.

ok soo ill watch it then put it on fleabay to fund my new boots and tools.
is it worth buying tools and belt then as ill only be a trainee but it shows willing I guess???
if iv got the full kit ready to work...

Naw, whatever you do, don't turn up with a spanner and no idea how to use one. Just rip a hole in your shoulder and you will be good to go.

ok soo ill watch it then put it on fleabay to fund my new boots and tools.
is it worth buying tools and belt then as ill only be a trainee but it shows willing I guess???
if iv got the full kit ready to work...

Go to BuyBrandTools as they do complete sets at a good price, but it's not compulsory. Initially you won't be allowed to do any fittings, if you try to do it without being told you'll likely get belted across the back of the head with your charges spanner.

Got to be honest, the new guy would get a belt in the back of the head just for wearing them.

Save your money mate , i would invest in " Tiger Balm " and " Radox bath soak " instead of tools cause you gonna ache like a Bit ch after your first few days :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ha ha ha ha i know iv humped tube and board before..
its harder bumping bags and board all day

sg4:5 is how it should of stayed, its how the street boys still work, it is how we work on site when the safety officer or suited and booted ***** in the office can not see you.

sg4 10 sucks...

Yeh of course it is ...lets see if u got the same mindset after a day of hanballin a few ton of steel up to the top lift in a chain llol

invest in a decent pair of deep-sea diving boots first mate,to stop you flying over the top too quick.
dont even think about a tool belt yet as you will get caught out,start at ground level & stay there,watch & observe best way to learn.
try & stay alert,keen even after a full shift in all weathers humping unrelenting weight all day!
good luck,you will need it

invest in a decent pair of deep-sea diving boots first mate,to stop you flying over the top too quick.
dont even think about a tool belt yet as you will get caught out,start at ground level & stay there,watch & observe best way to learn.
try & stay alert,keen even after a full shift in all weathers humping unrelenting weight all day!
good luck,you will need it

Its not that bad a job. Keeps you fit humping gear and being out in all weathers is great.
Buy yourself some spanners and a harness and jump up and have a go. Its not rocket science!!

thanks guys it all helps at the end of the day im still looking fir some work??
got a good pair of dewalt boots hardhat hiviz to start with

Why not? There are scaffolders all over the world turning up with spanners and no idea how to use them. I blame these new training schools.;)

I blame agencies, unscrupulous employers and a general lack of knowledge about the industry which we work from others.;)

forget all of that. All you need is a 26ft pole ladder to Run the gear up thats where you start from.
After you learn how to labour then you can get a bit of practice on the tools.
If you cant think for your self labouring bringing up gear in the order of assembly how would you know what to ask for or use when fixing(would just be another one with a set of tools with no idea how to use them

Last edited:
Top Bottom