Scaffolding between two houses with Shared Drive

gringo1

Reaction score
My first post....but I guess all the experts who can answer my question are here:bigsmile:......I have just had the plans drawn up for a Loft conversion on my 3 bed semi-detached, I know that the front, rear and Side of the house will need scaffolding. Problem is this will block the shared driveway to the Garage where the neighbour parks his car. I know the neighbour ok, but he can be a bit of a busy body, and not sure his reaction to being blocked from driving his car into the garage for up to 8 weeks. If he was to object....is there an alternative scaffolding solution which will not block ground level between the 2 houses and still allow him to drive to his garage, Just need to know if there is an option B…….. in case he "throws his toys out of the pram"
Many thanks.......

that should be no problem for any experianced scaffolder mate they will put the front and back up canterlivering over the front part of the drive to allow access then bridge between them using beams no probs there may however need to drill into the brick work front and back of the house to tie the scaffolding to add stability
also this is not a standard scaffold so you will find the price more expensive

As Mark says Beams can be used giving enough clearance for his car easily. Would your neighbour object to having standards on his land ?
How wide is the driveway ? Is it a double width ? If so there is no problem
Or is it a single shared drive

As Mark says Beams can be used giving enough clearance for his car easily. Would your neighbour object to having standards on his land ?
How wide is the driveway ? Is it a double width ? If so there is no problem
Or is it a single shared drive
the driveway is a Single drive. about wide enough for soloon car to get through.....
I am not sure if tressels will take up to much space, and still allow room for his Fiesta to go through!!!
I have not spoken to the neighbour yet, I just wanted a plan B....., in case he does object

that should be no problem for any experianced scaffolder

come on mate you should know this .its basic stuff,or get another scaff in to show you- there are many differnt ways to do it but all put more cost to your client, let him arrange use of the neighbour drive etc makes sence just to limit his access otherwise if he drops a brick through his car its your insurance that gets clobberd -if they insist on access, if you got no beams, base out really close to both walls & make a tubed gantry pulling your centre line back up to your inside stds@ 2nd lft
worse case many years ago had same prob & let brickkies get to 2nd lift off tressell,based out a horse inside the garage short beams off the stds top of b/w bit like a mini truss out - they bricked around beams which got pulled out and filled in at end of job:D

Am I right in assuming you're not a scaffolder gringo?

Welcome to the forum.

Don't think he's a scaffolder Swifty, or he wouldn't need to ask unless he was maybe a trainee etc.
However I've changed my mind.
I'll go with Andys solution ! ;) lol

Welcome to the forum gringo1. There will be many varied suggestions to this one and to be honest I always tell clients we can do absolutely anything you want there are no restrictions except the cost. By spanning the gable end you are turning a very basic fairly cheap scaffold into a designed special structure that is going to cost you, further more as it's a shared drive you will have a legal right of access to maintain your own property. I would have a long chat with your neighbour over a nice cup of tea, and explain your predicament and see if you can work something out. Maybe suggest somewhere close by where he can park, the last place I would park my car is anywhere close to any scaffold.:eek:

haha, is that good?

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

irdcage the gale the puch up off the 2d lift rakered ack to the ode poits, Keyoard fecked:(:(:(

haha, more like your rattling.:noworry:

Aoms right
If your neighbour is ok with not parking his car in his garage it will be easier and a good bit cheaper for you.
There are options if he won't play ball but most likely he'll be ok with it as long as it's discussed with him before hand.
Welcome to the forum

ok thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments, at least I know there is a plan B but, I can now see my best option is to get the old geezer next door to agree to park his car somewhere else while the work is in progress

A bottle of wine & flowers for his wife go a long way in sort of problem.We come across neighbours who wont co-operate with each other & it costs time & money.If he doesnt agree,just wait until he needs work done on his property & say NO.I'm sure if you ask he will agree to park his car somewhere else.

Welcome Gringo , standard stuff to any half decent scaffolder depends on width and length
of drive as to how they best tackle it make sure the company you use are insured because if his car was to get damaged the scaffolders will walk away and you got to live with your neighbour , are you doing the work yourself because any good builder will have his own scaffold company that they use and trust .

Top Bottom