Scaffolding Apprenticeships

ellykndy

Reaction score
Hey all

I am looking for some advice for my son and hope you can help!

He is currently an apprentice with a local company and has his Part 1. He is really unhappy there and rarely getting out on site to learn the trade and is due to sit his Part 2 later in the year and knows he won't pass the assessment. Worried he is going to jack the job :(

He really enjoys scaffolding but is now wanting to give up. He wants to move and finish his apprenticeship with another company but we are struggling to find any taking apprentices on.

Does anyone have any ideas / advice please? Thanks :blink1:

welcome EllyKndy , Firstly he will pass his Part 2 as its mainly based on what he learns at the collage.
Some company's employ apprentices as cheap labour , sad but true.
Is your son doing his apprenticeship with the CITB ? as i know when we had lads on it they would bend over backwards to try and get the boys a new placement because if the lads dont qualify then they loose a lot of money from the goverment so he should talk with his tutors at the collage and explain how un happy he is.

Do you know why he is unhappy are some of the lads getting on his back ?

Scaffolding can be a very tough job sometimes and you do need to have a thick skin .

Thanks for the advice :)

We are based southside in Glasgow. He loves scaffolding but basically he is being stuck at the base labouring in the yard - moving scaffold, tidying up etc and rarely getting out on site with qualified scaffolders to actually learn scaffolding.

When he is out its an older apprentice he is usually working with and he is basically telling my son what to do when he isn't fully qualified. Basically he is not being taught scaffolding as he is stuck doing labouring work constantly at the base (including cleaning toilets!!!).

He spoke to his course assessor who advised this should not be happening and he was out on site for around 2 months until being put back in the base for last few months.

I suggested he speaks to her again but he feels no one wants to help him there now and desperate to leave :-(

Hello ellykndy
Has he asked why he's kept in the yard?are other apprentices also kept in the yard?sorry to be blunt,but in my experience only the lazy/useless are kept yard bound to hopefully make them realise they need to pull their weight out on site because if the scaffs start refuseing to take them out,then it's the beginning of the end for them,i hope this is not the case and nor am I calling your lad lazy/useless lol,this is a hard physical trade and survival of the fittest prevails,it's also a game that not everybody's cut out for,tell him to hang in there and get his pt2,then he can move on to pastures new,good luck:unsure:

Me ? London SP :D

:love:thx phil lol didnt know u were so close lolo.....u got wet l8ly m8

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Hello ellykndy
Has he asked why he's kept in the yard?are other apprentices also kept in the yard?sorry to be blunt,but in my experience only the lazy/useless are kept yard bound to hopefully make them realise they need to pull their weight out on site because if the scaffs start refuseing to take them out,then it's the beginning of the end for them,i hope this is not the case and nor am I calling your lad lazy/useless lol,this is a hard physical trade and survival of the fittest prevails,it's also a game that not everybody's cut out for,tell him to hang in there and get his pt2,then he can move on to pastures new,good luck:unsure:

Harsh but true BF havent seen u on here for a while steve...unfortunately though theres plenty of companiesvout there only employing these boys cos the grants they get for em with no real notion of taking them on properly, sad but true a lot of em normally just before they fully qualify & require a proper wage

No not this year so far SP been snowed under with work , but the lads are diving The Farne Islands in September for a week which iam trying my hardest to do , i have had to cancel 2 weekends this year because of work and there is no Scallops left in the freezer :eek: for the first time in years

Lol! No he's not lazy. He is really keen. He actually really surprises me how much he enjoys it.

He has had a problem with one of the supervisors and spoke his mind when he shouldn't have so think that hasn't helped his case. Now and again the other apprentices are in the yard but usually him. He was in a great squad when out and they were really happy having him out with them.....but then he was put back in yard.

He does have a very bad habit of opening his mouth when it would be best shut lol! Idk if this has something to do with it? Most 18 year olds are gobby right enough?

Lol booking swanage for the bank holiday prob gonna try a lobster hunt on the sky lol...i'd like to say i'd bring u some back- but we both know thats just not gonna happen lol....scallops Mmmmm

There aint an 18 year old that doesnt know it all , god knows i have had enough of them to work with , but they are usually easy put in there place without grounding them in the yard.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 PM ----------

Lol booking swanage for the bank holiday prob gonna try a lobster hunt on the sky lol...i'd like to say i'd bring u some back- but we both know thats just not gonna happen lol....scallops Mmmmm

the Skys a nice dive on the right day i aint done it for a couple of years now , trouble with divers down at Swanage is they wont put you on the best Scallop beds , i usually dive out of Poole for the scallops there is a couple of good skippers there that always end up on the pi ss with us afterwards.

Lol! Exactly. He's a hard worker when he's out and enjoys being out on site. Think he's now losing his determination for it sadly. He's not confident enough to speak to the boss and ask why he's there so maybe speaking to the college assessor would be best way forward.

Even if he has been a pain in the rear or lazy or whatever it would probably help him better for someone to tell him what the problem is so he has a chance to change it?

A family member is a scaffolder and has had him helping him now and again and has said he's a good worker so I really don't know that's the problem :-/

Thanks so much for all your advice! Really appreciate it! Will run your advice by my son too ;-)

No not this year so far SP been snowed under with work , but the lads are diving The Farne Islands in September for a week which iam trying my hardest to do , i have had to cancel 2 weekends this year because of work and there is no Scallops left in the freezer :eek: for the first time in years

I've got a plate full of big scallops sat in my fridge right now,i dived for them myself in asda lol,surely their the food of the gods,i would eat them every night if I could,what do you serve them with?i just have scallops and I put a balsamic and olive oil dipping sauce from m&s on them,heaven;)

Phil- u Wanna drop in over by doordle & drift back around 24m never fails.

BF- cant beleave u would ruin em like that lol....s8 outta the sea, still on the boat open em up & av em raw, but if ya gonna cook em jamie olivers receipe of pan fried with crispy bacon on a bed of rocket with lemon & balsamic works well

Phil- u Wanna drop in over by doordle & drift back around 24m never fails.

BF- cant beleave u would ruin em like that lol....s8 outta the sea, still on the boat open em up & av em raw, but if ya gonna cook em jamie olivers receipe of pan fried with crispy bacon on a bed of rocket with lemon & balsamic works well

Flash fried,twist of salt and a side of the afformentioned dipping sauce,but I've never really found a suitable accompaniment,must be lovely strait out the sea though,sweet scallops for tea tonight,mmm...........

flash fried,twist of salt and a side of the afformentioned dipping sauce,but i've never really found a suitable accompaniment,must be lovely strait out the sea though,sweet scallops for tea tonight,mmm...........

are sweet scollops no horse knockers lol

Top Bottom