Scaffolders??? Why are so many not worth a rub??

J

Jason-Gibbs

Morning. A quick one.
(before we start, im no brown nose... im so opposite that, you wouldnt believe, lol)
But i see what i see and i see this every single day, day in day out.

Now, i have a pretty basic set of working rules, as it was.
They are:
  • Get to work early, so you have ample time to get changed/coffee/chat etc.
  • Find out what your doing and get gear ready.
  • Get spec's or drawings for job.
  • Put job up.
  • Go home.
  • The end.
Pretty simple. :cool:

Now, nowadays, as ive found with the average Scaffolder...
Its:
  • Get to work either bang on start time, or late.
  • Make no effort to get the gear ready, stand talking on phone.
  • Go to the toilet before AND after break...
  • Attempt to take control, read drawing wrong, sulk.
  • Go to toilet again...
  • Drop Spanner several times.
  • Instead of loading job out, with gear they need, pick up one clip at a time and walk to and fro where they are (usually 40ft)
  • Go home early due to "dentist appointment", doing as little work as possible.

How the f.uck am i supposed to work with these plonkers???
Is it the same everywhere??
No matter where i seem to work, im surrounded by morons. :suspicious:

Do, in your opinion Scaffolders have to take some of the responsibility for the state our trade is in??
I think: Yes.

Answers on a postcard. :)

Aye jason cos ure a superscaff ehh? Away and take ure face for a *****. Ure defo tryin 2 clinb tht ladder ehh. But 2 b honest ure first foots no even on the first rung. Pmsl.

Honest question dude.
Who cares about climbing... do like Roy Walker, say what you see.

People like that are usually **** takers they turn up late every day on purpose to avoid loading unloading they just take the **** out of work mates who are doing it for them . It. Usually gets noticed when its lay of time the **** takers go first

People like that are usually **** takers they turn up late every day on purpose to avoid loading unloading they just take the **** out of work mates who are doing it for them . It. Usually gets noticed when its lay of time the **** takers go first

I w

Last edited:
They are always hard done by always why have we go this job and they have got that job and all that nonsense

i always find on some larger jobs that need a few more men less gets done as the lazy ones no where to stand for a easy day when theres a few smaller jobs spread around you can split up and share the jobs no arguments. nothing worse than saying do you wana fix or labour and then the 1 thats labouring tells you how to build it. in this game you get the grafters the fusseys the plooders but every job has a lazy or extra lazy lol!!!

Morning. A quick one.
(before we start, im no brown nose... im so opposite that, you wouldnt believe, lol)
But i see what i see and i see this every single day, day in day out.

Now, i have a pretty basic set of working rules, as it was.
They are:
  • Get to work early, so you have ample time to get changed/coffee/chat etc.
  • Find out what your doing and get gear ready.
  • Get spec's or drawings for job.
  • Put job up.
  • Go home.
  • The end.
Pretty simple. :cool:

Now, nowadays, as ive found with the average Scaffolder...
Its:
  • Get to work either bang on start time, or late.
  • Make no effort to get the gear ready, stand talking on phone.
  • Go to the toilet before AND after break...
  • Attempt to take control, read drawing wrong, sulk.
  • Go to toilet again...
  • Drop Spanner several times.
  • Instead of loading job out, with gear they need, pick up one clip at a time and walk to and fro where they are (usually 40ft)
  • Go home early due to "dentist appointment", doing as little work as possible.

How the f.uck am i supposed to work with these plonkers???
Is it the same everywhere??
No matter where i seem to work, im surrounded by morons. :suspicious:

Do, in your opinion Scaffolders have to take some of the responsibility for the state our trade is in??
I think: Yes.

Answers on a postcard. :)

Its always been like that. There are shirkers in every industry. Its not fair on the conscientious worker.
Do you keep a daily production record? Put the shirkers into their own gang and their failings will soon be shown in the production reports.

You forgot "spending 10 minutes telling the guvner/project manager what they can't do" - instead of just getting on with it!

we arnt a big firm but everyone here counts some of the guys that join us are the same strange they dont last long before they are on their way to the next position our core lads are in havin a brew laughing and full of my sweeties before the boss arrives all are great time keepers and when there is a prob they let me know asap so arrangements can be made the drifters come and go but the quality men are still here

yep there are times our scaffs make me proud and this is one of em

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

and dont forget you get what you give in this life

Put them on price work , and pay them what they earn thats the easiest way of getting rid of w ankers ;)

make you right jason.if your working with another good fixer it makes life easy.but not all think like you.

So difficult to get decent workers these days and you can be a part two within a year so that says it all about competence on the job. The cards are suppose to prove competence but if you can be part two within a year it's quite the contrary.

i reckon there must be loads of part 2's out there who havent been higher than 6 lifts and have never built a birdcage or a saddle apart from when they done their training.. (especially in scotland) and these same people want to then go get their survival and go offshore , and moan about how do i get my first trip , somebody give me a chance, blah blah blah..

and this situation wont change woodsy , as long as theirs plenty would be scaffs wanting training , who can soon get their training on credit , :weird:

i reckon there must be loads of part 2's out there who havent been higher than 6 lifts and have never built a birdcage or a saddle apart from when they done their training.. (especially in scotland) and these same people want to then go get their survival and go offshore , and moan about how do i get my first trip , somebody give me a chance, blah blah blah..

and this situation wont change woodsy , as long as theirs plenty would be scaffs wanting training , who can soon get their training on credit , :weird:

Your right

Last edited:
Your right I have had a few offshore ,straight from building site,or street firms
To be honest it never bothered me as long as they worked hard and had the right attitude .You have to start some where
They all turned out to be decent scaffolders by the way

Yes, its all pipes, clamps and planks!!. No one was born either scaffolding or offshore!!

Top Bottom