Scaffolders call for licence to work at height

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
Scaffolders call for licence to work at height

Aaron Morby | Tue 10th January | 10:09

The scaffolding industry is calling for work at height regulations to be tightened in a similar way to the gas installation industry.

The National Access and Scaffolding Confederation trade body has called on Government to introduce important changes to the proposed Work at Height Regulation 2013.

To tighten up on safety standards, the scaffolding industry has called for the regulations to stipulate that scaffolders are ‘qualified’ rather than ‘competent’ as is now the case.

It argues the use of ambiguous terms ‘competent’ and ‘competence’ are flaws at the heart of the existing regulations allowing several types of safety approaches to proliferate.

In its response to the Löfstedt review, the NASC said the 2005 Work at Height Regulations had successfully increased awareness to both operatives and employers on the inherent risk when working at height, including what the requirements are to work safely and legally.

But it warned it had also created a ‘grey’ area because the term competence was open to interpretation.

NASC argues replacing the terms with the indisputable term ‘qualified’ put the industry on a much clearer footing.

It adds in a letter: “The work at height industry, including scaffolding can demonstrate clearly and accurately that an individual is ‘qualified’ by virtue of the fact that he has completed suitable training. The aptitude of the Scaffolder to continue to carry out his/her skilled works is also challenged every five years to ensure continued compliance.
“Scaffolding contracting companies are also able to be audited to ensure continued compliance/qualification via existing regulated protocol such as the NASC’s membership criteria which is already acknowledged by many clients and main contractors as the only method of determining scaffolding prowess that meets all current Scaffolding and Health & Safety legislation.”

FECKIN HALLELUIAH---QUALIFIED...

Will this measure stop the Cow Boys taking oor work ???

Also means they're shuttin the door on the citb lads once and for all.its the way forward but cant help think that the reasoning behind it is more money for the CISRS.I just dont trust anything that the NASC says.

Doesnt NASC Audited ring bells?

So what is the use in being CHAS registered which is the goverment scheme?

I Know a few " Qualified" Scaffolders that I would definitely not call competent
and vice versa.

Could this not make it easier to point the finger ??

I Know a few " Qualified" Scaffolders that I would definitely not call competent
and vice versa.

Could this not make it easier to point the finger ??

I know a lot of advanced scaffolders i would not give a basic card to, so to call them qualified is a fuck1ng joke

general manager

What difference will this make ???---who ever takes the courses and is then " Trained and Ticketed " will be deemed Qualified , this includes Butchers Bakers and Candlestick makers ???.

Can some one tell me the implications of being Qualified V Competent ???

Garry...

Any scaffolder that had their cards through the assessed route of entry would surely be classed as untrained, as they were assessed not trained to get their CISRS cards.

So will the 1000's of assessed route scaffs now need training to prove their competence?

Well it says that in the letter it's says "qualified" and "skilled"

About time

To me that statement says soon you will need to take a WAH course in order to achieve a certificate including Card that enables you to leave the ground, then Kier and the like will insist all scaffolders need the WAH card aswell as Advanced card to erect a first lift. Kaching :nuts:

i think we are missing the point, i'm all for us being classed as tradesman but ,as i understand it the nasc wants even more power and for all companies whatever size to be registered and to be taken in their fold- thats ok if all the small companies can afford it but what its really going to do is make the big boys club even bigger and stronger not allowing the smaller ones to grow - sounds a bit like a monopoly and rather unfair i also find it personally insulting to assume that just because a company is not a member means it doesn't opperate within the law & to legislation, i have seen many nasc companies not operating and erecting to the so called standard till its time for there assement/audit

I know a lot of advanced scaffolders i would not give a basic card to, so to call them qualified is a fuck1ng joke

Ive tried really hard to look the part, without actually having a single clue about Scaffolding... its really not that easy and hopefully ive gotten it down to a fine art! ;) :D

Seriously though, i cant help think that while this might mean that we are finally considered as proper tradesmen - the powers that be aint doing this for us... they are doing it for them or their pockets. :suspicious:

I dont trust those money grabbing c.unts.

Totally Agree With The SouthernPoofter Here Chaps This Is Just The Tip Of A Very Big Wedge Of Cash For Nasc,Cisrs And Every Other Hanger On That Us Blokes On The Spanners Seem To Carry.

Totally Agree With The SouthernPoofter Here Chaps This Is Just The Tip Of A Very Big Wedge Of Cash For Nasc,Cisrs And Every Other Hanger On That Us Blokes On The Spanners Seem To Carry.

well said that man:D:D:D

Good Point as There are lots of trades and stuff work at height and the WAH regs apply to them all , so if The N.A.S.C do get their way does that mean everyone follows suit or will it be a case of scaffolders qualified and the rest just competent, therefore for example if on site thats erecting steel structures, only scaffolders with qualified cards can work alongside steel erectors who are only competent :wondering:

its a joke, why are scaffolders constantly being targeted?

its an industry problem that covers much more than us mere scaffolders, surely everyone would need this wah card? as soon as a brickie gets on a scaffold it classed as working at height, albeit much lesser a risk but still working at height

Top Bottom