Scaffolder or Designer?

IDH

Reaction score
Here's an interesting one for you...

We've just run a CDM training day today and it turns out anyone who 'adapts' 'modifies' or generally doesn't erect the scaffold as per the design is classed as a designer themselves! I.E. you've taken a decision to make this change and in doing so unwittingly adopt the responsibilities in law of the Designer under CDM regs!!

Seems a bit harsh but I get the point they were making!

So next time you sling general abuse at designers just remember ... you might be one!

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Before you beat me to it - I think all Designers are w4nkers also.

I always have been one. A wan.ker not a designer that is.

Thought you was a nibbler Swifty.
good point IDH. Most scaffs pull a designed job to pieces.and any job not built by themselves:amazed::blink:

Last edited:
here's an interesting one for you...

We've just run a cdm training day today and it turns out anyone who 'adapts' 'modifies' or generally doesn't erect the scaffold as per the design is classed as a designer themselves! I.e. You've taken a decision to make this change and in doing so unwittingly adopt the responsibilities in law of the designer under cdm regs!!

Seems a bit harsh but i get the point they were making!

So next time you sling general abuse at designers just remember ... You might be one!

---------- post added at 08:11 pm ---------- previous post was at 08:08 pm ----------

before you beat me to it - i think all designers are w4nkers also.

fu ck of ;)

All we need now then is some training centre to start doing a two day scaffolding design course and the balls back in our court:idea:

Ive 'designed' or built a Scaffold without actual design drawings for years and years... like pretty much every other Scaffolder out there. (apart from Scaffs from Middlesboro, those boys couldnt make a cup of tea without instructions!) :p

So i suppose that in a way, Scaffolders are kinda like designers. They just dont have to wear berets and purple cords to be one! lol.

Too right J.scaffs always designed,way before it became a requirement.

Thinking about it anyone who erects a basic scaffold to TG20 (withoutdesign as they are encouraged) is also a 'Designer' in Law under CDM!

I only got my grade 3 because it means i can walk about telling everyone how hard i used to work, without doing a stroke...

Good job i sent this via a PM and not said this on the Forum, Bigfish mate or my street-cred would be ruined! :cool:
Oh yeah! me not silly. ;)

All you designers do is draw a picture of what we do anyway , throw some numbers at it , half empty our yards ( just in case the numbers dont work) and charge us £60 an hour for it luxury :(

Much more then the £8.50 an hour im earning atm! :suspicious:

Worlds full of Priks telling you how to do something they can't do themselves.
Worked that one out meself.

Worlds full of Priks telling you how to do something they can't do themselves.
Worked that one out meself.

Definition of the average Scaffolding ' Supervisor'...

Yep... thats the sound of 20 more Supervisors adding me to their 'black-list' LOL! :D

how far would these fekers gto in trying to throw the blame if out happens on the job would you see them going up with a tape to check every bay is exactly 2,000.02000mm qand if its off by 1mm thats why its bent or what have you cause they havent followed the design

The whole world is a blame game nowadays Cal mate.
Pass the buck... whats that saying???

Something like: Sidestep a turd to move one step forward?

Thats why its all Glasses and Gloves all day long.
Do they genuinely care about our eyes? do they ****... but as long as you wear them, no one is gonna get sued. Even if neither really stop crap in the eyes or splinters in the fingers.

im more of a problem solver mysel
but i wear designer gear(george at asda was a designer)before you all start.

As designers have to have PI insurance will scaffs now have to add this to their portfolio?

Top Bottom