Scaffold manufacturing

Interesting pics Alan. So,if were not manufacturing in this country, what has happened to all the plant/presses etc?

You would not believe how poor a work place this is without being there liverscaff.
Good question frederik but I don't have an answer.
regards
Alan

no doubt all presses ect have been exported to munish forge in liduania

Many of the dies and presses got cup or sent to India and China , thanks for the pictures Alan absolute dire working conditions no wonder UK manufacturing can't compete. We should penalise them with an import levy make manufacturing on an even level and UK would win every time for Quality

I have been to China several times now and most of the factories look the same.
I have also visited several LVL factories They tend to be a little better but then dealing with timber and not hot metals.

Missed this one Alan.. Whats a LVL factory. The Chinese companies producing fittings,do they buy the patent rights? Is there a quality control check by British companies importing?

To simplify this thread 75% of what we have in our house is made in China, TV's are made in Chinese prisons, Ipod and Iphones are made over there, 98% of the worlds buttons are made in Shanghai according to Piers Morgans show in China. Most of Asda, Tesco, Primark and H and M clothes are made over there or in India. Nobody will stop buying this stuff and buy British if its twice the price, i dont condone it but its where we are.

With regards to scaffolding, 80% of the worlds fittings are done out there and its monitored by hire and sales companies, its batch tested to EN74/EN39 and the minute you walk out of the door they could sub contract it out.

With LVL boards in the UK we have had a Principal Contractor asking for them to be removed off site because they are not to BS2482, they are stronger and in better condition but its to an ANSI standard.

On a positive note though part of hire and sales NASC audits, samples of tubes, fittings and boards have to be tested at a UK specified test house every year to enable quality control. If the person you buy or hire from is not a member of the NASC Hire and Sales then how do you know what you are getting.

Lets be honest and real here how many incidents or accidents have we have with a fitting failure erected correctly? I may have banged my mouth and teeth with dodgy bolts, we may have seen fittings slip due to overloading but there are not that many so something is right with the amount used every day in the UK.

Ian

Good post Simian,plenty to ponder.You might kick off Dafty and Happy with those stats.
Is there no hope for British industry? Others have mentioned Alan Reade and AOM) a huge company closing down in China and to brace yourselves for higher prices. I was interested in the whole manufactoring process and who was still producing in the UK. No one it seems.Who would I go to for prototypes in the industry,without going overseas?

I'm afraid Frederik if you were interested in prototypes for commercial gain you wouldn't consider going anywhere else but China.

Aom,Ive been in touch with a chinese company,gave em specs,just keep telling me "This new ploduct..vely espensive " How much for a prototype I keep asking.How long before I recieve it. They really want to sell whats in stock,no messing.Hence this thread.

Aom,Ive been in touch with a chinese company,gave em specs,just keep telling me "This new ploduct..vely espensive " How much for a prototype I keep asking.How long before I recieve it. They really want to sell whats in stock,no messing.Hence this thread.

Oh, sorry Frederik didn't realise you had something to pursue. Is all the Chinese done under licence meaning they couldn't really bring anything new to market without rigorous testing from others? Not sure if they have the capacity or authority to authenticate an EN stamp on a new product.

No mate through agents munish wont sell direct !!!

However have had several quotes last 2 months prices are still keen , i havent imported from china before due to reasons listed

However india can supply !!

Sample usually sent by DHL within a few days

New drop forge complete with i.d deep forged 0.91p based 10,000 pcs

Theres a member of the forum called lojavy,thats who I was in touch with. His company is huge. Sell by the kilo in US dollars2.6 I think?? DF and pressed. DF looks like little giants.

Pm me your email il forward u all the quotes i have from china and india
One quote from china is 1.50$ usd per df deep forged marked double 10,000 pieces

Missed this one Alan.. Whats a LVL factory. The Chinese companies producing fittings,do they buy the patent rights? Is there a quality control check by British companies importing?

LVL= Laminated Veneer Lumber.
effectively big sheets of 11/2" ply cut into scaffold boards and tested.
Very good product used all over the UAE and some companies in the UK now trialing them.

Munish is a seriously good operation - nothing like the stereotypical overseas factory. The owner is a very nice gentleman and treats the workers well and is progressive with regards to health and safety.

The only reason people buy from the sweatshop operations is price, manufacturers didn't want to close their factories - price demands from customers with chinese/indian prices on their desks did that for them.

Presco were buying from the now bust Nanjing who were pumping all sorts into the market at below cost (there is a huge fraud thing going on in China with the owners). There are now millions of fittings in the UK market from these clowns and if somthing happens there is nobody to run to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom