Scaffold Inspectors

Bri

Reaction score
ok so we know that we have to be inspected and to some degree we accept it,but, how many main contractors use the scaffold inspections to force an issue with the scaffolders, you know use it against them to try and save money or re-coup money?

Explain further I ain't sure what your getting at!

If a scaffold fails an inspection,then it cant be used untill rectified,if it fails due to the scaffold contractor,then theorectly the scaffold contractor could be billed for down time,though i've not known it,but i'm sure some one on here has.

It has been known for some unscrupulous site agents to remove toe boards or handrails from a sound scaffold and call in an inspector on the day before a holiday period .This renders the scaffold unsafe and unusable so off hire . This was a few years ago so maybe things have changed .

i cant see how another contractor can get hes hands on the scaffold inspection sheets it should be between the site manager or the scaffold inspector so any alterations can only be done through the scaffolder or inspector and are loged!! so cant see how they can recoupe money with this system if the scaffolds been built and unsafe then the scaffold contractor gets the bill for lost hours if the scaffolds been modified by another contractor it must be a dogie site.

ok so we know that we have to be inspected and to some degree we accept it,but, how many main contractors use the scaffold inspections to force an issue with the scaffolders, you know use it against them to try and save money or re-coup money?

Not sure what went on Bri but the quality of inspections vary wildly mostly due to the many 2 dayers now out there. The worst I have seen is getting a call back for a double inside rail when there was no gap and when I checked the scaffold the labourers had dug away the foundations and left a couple of standards floating and some fekin eejit of a brickie had loosened a beam but none of these faults were picked up. I put these faults right and charged them full price for our day which included fitting the rail. Play them at their own game would be my advice.

thanks for the replies.

Just curious as i have heard of a main contractor asking for something that wasnt right then blamed the scaffold company for giving them what they wanted, then they tried to play the card of "well i may have asked for that, but i wanted a safe scaffold" something to do with the ties and no inside hand rails.

just heard it off one of the lads i know, he said they are refusing to pay as the scaffold was not safe even though to their requirements.

Nightmare, but that's why I tell the boys never ever do what the client asks without checking with me first if it deviates from the plan. Sounds harsh I know but as scaffs we have to be prepared to tell em to fcuk right off sometimes as they will shaft you as quick as look at you should it go wrong.

I don't sound bitter at all do I?:embarrest:

If the client signed for it then that company took responsability for it so they accepted it on the handover.
No use trying to move the goal posts half way through the match.

They will still argue the toss after hand over Steve. I know it's wrong and so do they but yet they still argue. It's just the game and we have to play it.

That's why independent inspections should be mandatory for all companies. Quotes available.

Yep,we're definately the kicking can of the construction world in so many ways:mad:

That's why independent inspections should be mandatory for all companies. Quotes available.

haha, seen that discussion. I think it should be mandatory for everyone to use a trained scaffolder fully insured following all the regulations to erect any job.:idea:

Quotes available.;)

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Yep,we're definately the kicking can of the construction world in so many ways:mad:

It does get tiresome but it's the trade we find ourselves in. As I get more used to dealing with them I don't really mind it and just accept they will try and get away with it as part of their job and part of mine is to make sure they get away with fook all.

haha, seen that discussion. I think it should be mandatory for everyone to use a trained scaffolder fully insured following all the regulations to erect any job.:idea:

Quotes available.;)

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

It does get tiresome but it's the trade we find ourselves in. As I get more used to dealing with them I don't really mind it and just accept they will try and get away with it as part of their job and part of mine is to make sure they get away with fook all.

But who the Fook is gunna argue wi AOM William Wallace.

haha, believe it or not there are plenty pretenders, none seem to last the course though.:laugh:

SSS is correct, the scaffold is checked, handed over and more importantly “Accepted” as fit for purpose at the time of hand over. Once signed and accepted the handover document will become part of the contract document.
Whilst the customer will still moan a good Scaffolding QS should and will argue the point.
There is also the opportunity to argue the point that the scaffold is in the charge of the “Customer” who: once handed over, is responsible for the upkeep and how the “End User” uses and alters the scaffold. He is also responsible for the costs associated with the “reinstatement” to “Hand Over” condition.

to be honest it should be in the agreement /contract with the client about such things, but it is technically their responsibility once the handover certificate has been completed.

Does not matter if the scaffold has been tampered with or not i have also charged the client in the past, the client is responsible for the control of such activities on their site.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

in the eyes of law what is competency ?

dont know what you guys are on. Scaffold gets handed over to contractor who should walk round scaffold when being handed over. If scaffold been interfered with by other trades before 7day inspection, its down to the contractor to stop oteher trades tampering with the scaffold not the scaffold firm. In fact the scaffold firm should be billing the contractors to rectify the scaffold so therefore making more money

if other trades interfere with scaffolding hows scaffolder to blame. Dont know many scaffold firms that erect scaffold hand it over then put scaffolders on 24hr watch to guard scaffold

Top Bottom