Scaff tag checks

Shag

Reaction score
A client of ours has put all his supervisors on a half day scaffolding awareness course to do the relevant scaffold tag checks, rather than pay us to do it. However, the client is being told that this course does not suffice. I was under the impression that a competent person can inspect a scaffold, surely a course covering it makes you competent. Any feedback on what is actually needed to legitimatelly check a scaffold, rather than being a fully trained and qualified scaffolder.

I beleave u have to hold a citb basic scaffold inspectors card which is a 2day course- not the 1 day inhouse scaffold awareness thing that a lot of so called saftey consultancys charge a cpl of hundred quid for - but check out the youtube vids as theres one on it

Remember that is only recommendations though, the client has the right to stipulate what he deems to be suitable for his job.

To be honest, I would be more than happy for all these supervisors to be signing tags and keeping records as it's just a monumental pain in the erse.

We always throw them in on a big job if it helps to win the job , like AOM says they are a pain in the backside.

The only thing is philliosmaximus these jobs are dotted around all over London (11 at moment) and would be a big ask to inspect all these for nothing, just in diesel alone. Wouldnt be so bad if it was one site.

You have to charge them pal,the weekly inspections are the hirers responsibility not yours,this should be stated in your tc's,why not try and do them all in one day and charge them fuel and say 12hrs day rate.............

I definitely would charge for them if they are dotted about like you say shag.

Are you not based in London Shag ?

Top Bottom