roof scaffolds

Our's are different to the one's you will know Phil, all our's state is that you built the job and did it safe.

Ive just got the dates back for one of mine on his advanced @ birmingham-
jan 28th @ 2week course
April 9th @1 day portfolio assesment.
July 22nd @2 day final assesment
Was informed that 90% of his portfolio would be catered for on his course

Last edited:
Ive just got the dates back for one of mine on his advanced @ birmingham-
jan 28th @ 2week course
April 9th @1 day portfolio assesment.
July 22nd @2 day final assesment
Was informed that 90% of his portfolio would be catered for on his course

Maybe there is a North South divide but we can't book an assessment until we send in the portfolio for checking but there is no 1 day portfolio assessment as far as I know.

I know m8 -never heard of it untill one of the basic 2 boys did the same thing last year...both courses were fully funded so i wondered if the xtra days were thrown in there so the centre could claim more money from the gov. Kitty
Both courses were @birmingham ncc

Maybe, the advanced I am talking about was paid by me so it is possible. I also have 2 young guns starting out doing their induction so will wait and see what they come back with. To be honest, I have kind of given up on the whole training regime we have here. Now I just send them away get their cards and then train them.

I allways tell them that theyre going away to learn how to do the nuts & bolts up properley....then come back to me & i'll teach you how to earn a living

The only way to be SP. I have posted before the pressure guys like me are under to have a 100% carded workforce even had one client tell me if any one of my boys didn't have a card we would all be off site. To be honest, I was desperate to confess that one was not carded just to see if he would as he had a dozen men waiting and a large and distinguished deputation due to visit the following day, it would have been a week to get another scaff in there. I must be getting old.

I dont do their portpholios now,they do it themselves other than provide proof of rams drawings ect,but looking at the pt2 certificate you would be forgiven for thinking that they were trained to do the pull test:eek:h:

I thought the certificate covered them for all sorts of things BF so an easy mistake to make but no, they are covered for feck all as it's just a "Taster". Great phrase that, means absolutely feck all.:mad:

We're going the same way. &like i've said before its a double edged sword, in as much as we need experiance b4 tickets...like the old days.we cant keep paying top money to these young lads with a gold ticket who swan around but really know very little in the big picture of scaffolding and have little experiance- or putting guys through the training only to leave for an xtra £5...and will never gain the experiance cos theyre always chasing the £ ....i really am beging to think that our industry is fuucked and will nevrr be allowed to get back how it used to be,not all the time we have to tip our hats to the hse &nasc...it wont be much longer till the small &medium sized companies are unable to trade because it wont be financially viable

It will never be like it was just forget that. The training for the young team is so well funded though we just can't not take advantage of it. Yes, we have to do it their way but all in all, training a young boy costs very little. The fact that they get next to no training and we have to take up the slack at the back end will count very little to them, I know I have tried discussing it with them.

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Meant to say, I reckon I can do it better and to that end I have booked my PTTLS for the middle of January.:cool:

I know it'll will never go back to how it used to be-however as an industry i think its stagnating for the smaller companies.the new legislation being introduced @almost monthly intervals.with the main contractors beleaving everything spouted by the nasc are expecting big company services but @the rates they're used to paying the small & medium sized guys...i know ur a member and thats down to u &i'm not dissing that in any way..but i think most guys will agree with the way things are going its only a matter of time , hse paperwork & nasc complience are strangling us all. For christ sake even a civi with a mobile phone can take a pic of u on a tea & biscuit job without ur ppe on and next min ur dragged through the courts. Its a fine line between being commended for good practice or condemnd for a small mistamina-training,complience & cooperation all takes money, &with a 3rd dip reccession now looming, the main contractors will have the excuse to once again lower the rates....so where will the money then come from to stay up to date with tg20:13 and the changes that that rewtite will wish to implement.let alone to try and grow ur workforces experiance

Can't argue with most of that except obviously the nasc thing. Speaking to some of the other bigger fish in the pond they have been facing these problems for years as they fight against guys like me and probably you for work. Now we are having to fight for work I can't speak for you but I'm loosing out to diddy's with a tower and planks not any other scaffold firm. I don't know what work will be like next year, but honestly I would rather shut the gates than cut corners and that's not the big I am it's just not my style. If you want a good job doing I'm your man if you want it cheap as chips well you may need to phone about for a bit.

stick to your guns SP, there will be plenty who will take the short cuts but they will pay the price eventually.

I know wot ur sayin m8 i'll post u p
a pic 2moro when i get on the main computer. I did the front of a house as a freebe for a m8 i owed a favour to if it was chargable wouldnt have got much change outta a grand-on the rear a crew of 6 indian gentlemen took all day & erected a scaff for solar panels cost? £200 - 9m long with 3 sets of stds in it and nearly 6m high but done in 2 lifts.... seriously how can anyone get away with that.pics 2moro lololo

Yeah, I don't know what the answer to that one is but if you are interested in hearing how the nasc would advice a member to handle it I will post it. This sort of thing should be addressed but it does take guy's like you and me to do something about it.

this for your part two portfolio mate?

yes for portolio

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

The only way to be SP. I have posted before the pressure guys like me are under to have a 100% carded workforce even had one client tell me if any one of my boys didn't have a card we would all be off site. To be honest, I was desperate to confess that one was not carded just to see if he would as he had a dozen men waiting and a large and distinguished deputation due to visit the following day, it would have been a week to get another scaff in there. I must be getting old.

any roff saddle you dan is that hard give the answer if you know maybe u dont know

You're right I don't, maybe when we get the question though I may. With my track record though it will be more than likely over my head. I think Rigger was right, the cheeky fooker wants someone else to write it for him.:laugh:

Johnnybegood posted on another thread a starter for 10 on these things which I thought looked quite good to set someone off. I looked for him on my friends list but it seems he has deleted his account and his posts as I now can't find it, pity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom