Roof Edge Protection

i never seen them before either brandy but they look like good , i havent a clue how much they are

Will check out the price Phillo as they could be very usefull for me, where I work its all steel clad buildings and often have to butress the scaffold if room permits. Of course I would have to get the OK to use them as its all clean enviroment stuff and thats where the plugs would be ideal, but believe it or not they would more than likely insist the plugs would have to match the colour of the cladding.

Just a thought aom, but are there any windows you could punch up out from.

whichever it is he's got a gang of little fockers running after him...

no chinaman definetly a one man band no one else would bother stooping that low.....

Neilb, thanks for that wee tip, that's why I love the forum. Ask a question let it stew and someone always comes up with a solution I have never even heard of before let alone thought off.

Andymac, I do like Apollo products and will take a look.

Thanks all.

Not sure about the way the guardrail is fixed with the jacktie in the photo on ther website, as it looks like the Hilti ring is taking all the weight ? As far as I'm aware they're not supposed to be exposed to bending or shear forces ?

We'e used Lindaptor Hollo-bolts in similar situations where only one face of the steelwork can be accessed - maybe worth considering these to fix a band and plate fitting ?

Type HB Hollo-Bolt - Cavity Fixings - Products - Lindapter

Yes your right about that but surely they wouldn't advertise something that wasn't fit for purpose? I haven't had a chance to research the link fully yet but thought it looked really good but it never crossed my mind about shear. I would hope the jack tie is taking the shear rather than the ring but I would have to look in to that. How do you use the Hollo-Bolt, a pair of set and punch up or is the set fixed direct to the puncheon?

How do you use the Hollo-Bolt, a pair of set and punch up or is the set fixed direct to the puncheon?

It's basically a bolt with an expanding sleeve - drill your hole into the steel, insert the bolt through the band and plate into the hole, then you put a spanner on the bolt to hold the sleeve whilst tightening it with another spanner or ratchet.

We've used them horizontally to fix Kee Klamp bases onto steelwork for guardrail puncheons, and they worked well.

My thoughts exactly Mark , Didnt want to be the odd one out an say something , thought i wasnt seeing something that others were to be honest,

Aom if i was to use a jacktie i would run ledger thru jackties , then maybe use a 3ft butt as a type of raker .

i would sit bottom of butt on top of a sidewall fixing connect it to ledger using a double slightly pushing ledger up with thumb as i tightened double so as to keep pressure onto the sidewall fixing, then possibly another small butt off ledger into the sidewall itself so as to gently keep pressure on the raker butt to keep it in place similar to the picture in the website.

hope you understand what i mean as having trouble explaining, possibly cos i only been out of bed 20 mins :laugh: but this would help keep pressure off the hilti ties to stop them bending.

I also have another idea i used in past but i got no picture to show you but basically you need a rectangle piece of flat metal say approx 12 inch by 24 in 3 quarters of way up get a 6 inch butt welded in the middle of it and 2 drill holes preferably slot type for adjusting to different profiles , then unscrew couple wall tie fixings , screw plate to purlins using heavy duty type screws/ self tapping bolts , then because you have your butt 3 quarters way up plate the bottom of plate acts as a pressure plate against the wall.

also look at the brackets they sometimes use to hold small units up on walls its like an upside down letter L they usually use 2 or 3 of them to stand air con units or water type tanks on them up a height , try getting someone to fabricate something similar for you.

also in the concrete engineering industry they use threaded tie bars to hold superslims in place when doing formwork, they sometimes put a 6 inch butt over it before tighting so they can punch up for handrails :toung::nuts::laugh::

long post for 20 min awake time need a snooze now

Top Bottom