right way up for beams and braceing of beams

grafter

Reaction score
seen scaffs put beams both ways round
some plan plan brace bottom cord some under top and some off puncheons probley doesnt make to much diffrence as long as there is enough in them but they all say correct way so whos right then?

always been taught to put them in on the bottom. it differs per job though, sometimes it cant be helped. wouldnt ever put them in on the punch up's though. i've put them on the verts in beams before on 2 doubles.

Plan brace should always be under the top chored. top chored tension/bottom chored compression.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

sorry top chored compression bottom chored tension been on holiday.

[instructer] so underneath top cord on swivels then i got told off puncheons does it matter as long as they are plan braced

workshy iam certain you where taught to undersling the plan brace on the top of the beam on swivels , and the bottom stringers on doubles on the top of the bottom chord with every temporary roof you have done .
Having said that when i was on the Advanced course the drawings we where given to erect a temporary roof showed the plan braces on swivels on under slung stringers on the top of the beam

For bridge beams top chord - as stated top chord in compression.

For cantilever beams bottom chord - because when cantilevering the bottom chord is in compression.

Braces can be fixed on swivels or to puncheons (of beam) but importantly the plan braces must go node to node. The node being where the lacers are fixed to the beam.

So for unit and ladder beams lacers are required at 1.2m centres, aluminium beams at 1.0m centres for the compression chord.

Harder to describe than it is to show on a drawing, we have a generic drawing showing how to lace and brace beams. PM me if you'd like a copy.

i allways fort under the top cord doubble to doubble if poss if not swivels and you ledger bracing on top f bottom cord and under top cord

Thats the way i have always done temporary roofs Marra , but its different for canter-levered beams is what the man is saying :)

For bridge beams top chord - as stated top chord in compression.

For cantilever beams bottom chord - because when cantilevering the bottom chord is in compression.

Braces can be fixed on swivels or to puncheons (of beam) but importantly the plan braces must go node to node. The node being where the lacers are fixed to the beam.

So for unit and ladder beams lacers are required at 1.2m centres, aluminium beams at 1.0m centres for the compression chord.

Harder to describe than it is to show on a drawing, we have a generic drawing showing how to lace and brace beams. PM me if you'd like a copy.

what do you mean 1.2 m centres and lacers???? expand you have lost me there marra

You got it , some lads call the stringers , some lands call them ledgers , "a rose by any other name " ;)

Sorry, lacers are the horizontal tubes connecting the beams, normally every 1.2m for the compression chord of unit beams, 1.0m for aluminium beams.

AsXD has nailed it.
Plan bracing is usually on the compression chord, which is normally the top chord in a span or the bottom of the beam in a cantilever.

The compression chord is normally tied at 1.2m c/c (1.0 in alloy) and the tension chord normally at around twice the spacing.

Plan bracing MUST always run between the node points where the lacing crosses the beam.
Whilst normally fitted below the top chord the brace may be fitted on top of the chord to suit what you are doing.
Double or swivels makes little difference but not too often you find yourself in a position to use doubles on a steel beam as they have too few verticals.

workshy iam certain you where taught to undersling the plan brace on the top of the beam on swivels , and the bottom stringers on doubles on the top of the bottom chord with every temporary roof you have done .
Having said that when i was on the Advanced course the drawings we where given to erect a temporary roof showed the plan braces on swivels on under slung stringers on the top of the beam

the last bridge i did the plan braces were on top of the bottom chord? maybe i misread and thought it meant top or bottom chord :S

Plan brace should always be under the top chored. top chored tension/bottom chored compression.

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

sorry top chored compression bottom chored tension been on holiday.

With a lack of knowledge this basic, god help us if this is the best that we can get to train lads at college.

Top Bottom