ready lock transoms

Rumour has it they will be included in TG20:13. The question that springs to mind are which ones!

Actually dug out the original SGB data sheet for them today. It really is very vague in my view...as Alan said it states ok to omit ledger braces upto 30m tall unsheeted. Problem is it makes reference to BS 5973 and specifies that 1 tie per 40sq.m is required.

Says nothing about lift heights...don't recall did 5973 have a maximum of 2.0m??

Anyway heres a scenario. Ties at 10m vertical centres x 4m horizontal centres! 40 sq.m per tie...do you think this would be acceptable?? Ok I know 5973 gave a maximum distance between ties of I think 8.5m and erecting 10m before tying is difficult (but don't say that doesn't happen!), but it does demonstrate how vague and open to interpretation the data is.

The lack of technical guidance and vagueness of the data that did exist maybe demonstrates why us designers are reluctant to omit the ledger braces.

If anyone is interested in seeing the data sheet give me a shout.

Those who do use them and leave the ledger braces out...ask yourself this...if you do have an incident where are you going to go, what will you reference when the judge asks why you omitted the braces because as of now it does NOT exist.

If you have to included the ledger braces what's the point using them on first place? There not the lightest and quickest thing to use!!

they call em animals round our way,only see three lifters/fronts and backs of houses without them in,anything else its fully braced as per regs,have seen and used the ones with a sliding hop-out that are quite useful,keep the job square and neat and even if you have to brace it theres still advantages i think:)

Just recently there was a scaffold near me, city centre location, fully boarded...I'd guess 10 lifts high and debris netted. Not a stick of ledger bracing. Erected by an NASC member.

Now this is possible but ties at every lift would be required....it wasn't!

Hi I would love to see the data sheet please send. Incedentaly lyndons have quite a lot of test info on this, not that they will share it at present, and of course it all relates to their superior tube. However I believe they are going to be in the next iteration of tg20. It will be interesting to see if the NASC has got hold of SGB's historic data which I can tell you makes interesting viewing so long as you can get the ties in at close enough centres. I wait with interest!

just a point though if by leaving braces out the tie pattern increases its a hell of a lot quicker to bang braces in than doing ties :blink:

alan marra what sort of money would it cost to test the readylock to ditermin weather or not its ok to leave out braces any ideas

I am guessing but.....
If the big boys the likes of SGB & Trad never had it done could come to a few bob.
Generation did some tests done but I am not sure that they adequatley display the suitability of the system to be used without lesger braces.

yes they are heavy but they are rapid doubble single vs easyfix only 1 winner lads and thats easy fix and if there is a scaff that can run it in doubbles quicker he'd be a machine using easy fix.even if you used them on the kicker lift or 1st lift makes basing out so much easier

Top Bottom