Question about transoms

goulda

Reaction score
Just had an advanced scaffolder start with us
When erecting bog standard independent scaffolds on site he reckons it is a load of crap fixing a transom next to every pair of standards -I have been doing this for last 20 years.
Thoughts anyone

He is right, but only just. TG20 will tell you to do them as I have but they tell me the update has scrubbed that.

Correct al, no longer need transoms on standards, sleeves can be anywhere in the bay and i think you can do away with aberdeen trannies, but not 100% sure.

Just had an advanced scaffolder start with us
When erecting bog standard independent scaffolds on site he reckons it is a load of crap fixing a transom next to every pair of standards -I have been doing this for last 20 years.
Thoughts anyone
Best practice is to have a minimum of 3 transoms per board and no braces/transoms more than 300mm away from node points. Not sure if its still right that over 50m high Aberdeen transoms under each set of standards.

I reckon that's changed Russ, the safe height on some of our jobs is well below half that. I suppose it depends a lot on tie density.

this is correct he is right but all working lifts with t&f should have aberdeens 80ty gave you some good advice follow design

You don't need a design until you go over 50m If you tie every other standard every other lift .

It appears that everything we used to do before TG:20 came in & said that was no longer allowed has now reverted back to the old ways & common practice...alls we gotta hope is that sg4 changes & loses that fvckin step as well.

A lot of principal contractors round our way russ are asking for designs, everything from independants to staircases.
Its how the industrys going.....soon you'll need to show a design in having a shiit

Probably a fair comment SP, BS5973 appears to be alive and kicking.

A lot of principal contractors round our way russ are asking for designs, everything from independants to staircases.
Its how the industrys going.....soon you'll need to show a design in having a shiit

I agree, that's why we use the cads smart scaff which appeases most. One of the best things about it, most of our jobs only require light duty ties and I have the calculations to prove it. It means I can use the nylon ties and still follow TG11.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

You don't need a design until you go over 50m If you tie every other standard every other lift .

Is that not the old BS thing. I think that all changed with TG20 and the euro wind codes.

Beleave it of not a SSO actually started quoting bs5793 to me the other day & genuinly looked quite shocked when i told him to fvck off & not to be so fvckin stupid lol...but looks like he might know something about it re-appearing lol

Think it is safer to as main loading of a platform should be at every standard, or am I mistaken??

Top Bottom