Putlog Vs Independent

I always thought putlog was only for new brickwork and never used it for anything else spunky

Me too.
Only ever used Putlogs where you physically cannot get 2 sets of Standards in without severely reducing the width of your Scaffold.

Outside Standard, with Ledger, Putlog Transoms into the wall, underslung inside Ledger and Braced from the outside Ledger on the Lift below to the above Lifts inside Ledger + repeat as needed per Bricky Lift.

Though Putlog Adapters do have their uses for other things. ;)

Personally i think Independants are stronger.
Wouldnt wanna take a Putlog up 40ft without either butting it against another already finished wall or tied... unless i wanted to die, lol.

Keep em coming J. youve been missed, along with a few other sf heavyweights.

A bit thick here lads,whats used for fall protection as no inside standards means no handrail.

Hello Fred mate, how you been?

Ive never needed to worry about it before.
Though it was a few years since ive used Putlogs. Maybe its upto the client to use Beanbags or whatever to prevent the inside falls.

Cant give a better answer tbh.

I must be the exact opposite to you Spunkywads as I have never built a putlog job, always wondered why they even had it at the college as I don't think I have even seen one outside the centre. That been said, I don't think the nasc or anyone else is trying to phase them out as they are included in tg20 and whilst I would need to check they will be part of the revision. I would hazard a guess it's just your safety man who know's nothing about putlogs and has no idea if they are going up right or wrong but instead of educating himself he wants you to change to what he knows. I may be wrong but my initial response would be to tell him to go fcuk but these guys do get a say in who comes onto future projects and who doesn't so it might well be worth considering a small phased change over time that you can control rather than waiting for a knee jerk reaction if your work ever dries up.

Of course I could be very wrong as it is just a suspicion.

Well I was gonna write something earlier but the missus was stressing about us going out tonight and her getting ready and all that. I am back after a few sherbets and hope I might be able to express myself a bit better.

The thing I have seen so far with the thread since I have posted is that people are thinking on a grander scale than that which I am working to. This is not building site work with large facades to scaff which are 40ft up and about 200ft long. I am doing your typical terrace houses or semis. Some are the Victorian type so maybe at most 26ft high but most are typical 13-18ft long and 18-20ft high.

I agree that if a job was completely clear then I have no problems putting it up independent but when there is a small 10ft wide bay ground floor bay window at the front then instead of mincing about, from the offset i put putlog adapters (spears as we call them) in and away you go. I have started using the ties previous to this guy coming on board but it is a reminder to ensure we use them at all times which is good.

The safety guy seems a good bloke and I have had a couple of useful conversations with him. Ultimately it is his decision but all I am going to ask is that I can use putlogs at my own discretion. I am always happy to accept criticism as I am fully aware that I come from a street scaffold world but I like to think that I know a bit too. I look at what the other firms in the area do and as you will know you get a feel for what is what. I have good friends who work for the larger, respected companies and get to pick their brains with questions too.

Finally as most self employed and some employed people know, VOSA are only happy with other peoples misery. They are only getting worse too so the whole weight issue with the extra long does play a part with my stance as it would hamper the volume of work when you need to go back to your yard to load up again etc..

Spunkey if it works for you and the safety guy is happy with it then you aint really got a problem , if i was you i would sit down count what kit i own and what work i got coming in and see about getting a bigger truck , if you are going to stay at it and you have the work to cover it thats the way i would go , what are you driving at the moment mate ?

I have a merc 814, an iveco 75 e 15 and a transit pick up. I did get my class 2 license years ago thinking I might step up to a bigger wagon. Doing street work is getting harder for parking as every man and his dog owns a car and parking a 7.5 tonner is hard enough. I even know of a larger contractor in my area that has sold all their wagons and kitted out with pickups. He was sick of o license, visa and parking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I think things are getting tighter the country over Spunky. I also think Phil has chipped in with good advice, I have never reckoned pick ups to be a solution in our trade although plenty seem to use them.

Top Bottom