Putlog Vs Independent

Spunkywads26

Reaction score
I have had a safety guy (Few times we have spoken he seems pretty ok tbh) ask me why we still erect some jobs using putlog scaffolding. He wants me to change to independent scaffolding which is ok but as a small operator means more weight on the wagons.

Personally I think a correctly erected putlog scaff is sturdier than an independent scaff. Also I find it easier to put up a putlog job when there is a low level bay across the front of a house for example as opposed to giving either 4 inside boards and raker it back or even trying to fix inside uprights of the roof and tied them in at the feet. And yes I do use ties so i'm not your regular savage london leaner etc....

This is a contract maintaining houses, predominantly guttering.

I have told him I am willing to change to independent scaffs but I would like to keep the option open to use putlog if I see it as being a greater benefit to me.

What do you guys think? Has there been any rule change that i'm not aware of that means putlog is the devil and therefore banned or is it because of the larger contractor driving the whole industry into using independant and system scaffs?

Please be kind with the replies... I have feelings you know :toung:

I always thought putlog was only for new brickwork and never used it for anything else spunky

was just thinking that marra hwo do you go about sorting out the holes ? maby be better putting up a learner less mess ;)

I'm in a wierd situation where I have grown up house bashing and using putlog scaffs on a regular basis to do so. Yet when I did my cards it was said that it was classed/known as a bricklayers scaff which I assume implies new build etc...

Is there a definate piece of paper from NASC/HSE/GOD etc. that states it can't be used elsewhere. To me I think it is NASC and their big boys who have driven the industry away from even saying the word putlog and also this BS EN rubbish which is all about system.

Just me maybe but i don't see the harm and if i'm classed as a simpleton then so be it.

Marra made a good point , how do you go about putting the holes in old brick work ?

would it not be just as easy to throw up an independent as it sounds like its only top lift of boards most of the time for guttering , roofing work

We drill out the joints with 6-8mm bit then use a plugging chisel. It is quite a regular thing around Birmingham. I find it quicker than putting up an independent job on most occasions. When we take the job down we point the holes up.

Feeling like a savage now but in my defence it is all I have really know in my brief career as a scaff. :embarrest:

So your a hybrid scaff/bricky then :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

I cant imagine the look on our customers faces if the lads started drilling the brickwork

we drill out the joints with 6-8mm bit then use a plugging chisel. It is quite a regular thing around birmingham. I find it quicker than putting up an independent job on most occasions. When we take the job down we point the holes up.

Feeling like a savage now but in my defence it is all i have really know in my brief career as a scaff. :embarrest:

drilling 2 holes then use a plugging chisel vs
wrapping of 1 doubble

point the holes vs un wrapping of 1 doubble

put log
need drill chisel
bucket of compo
trowel

indapendant
spanner

by the sounds of things i beleieve it would be quicker to build an independent and less things to rember

having said that each to their own and experiance is a thing money crnt buy (not liek the ticket some of these lads would have you believe) lol i wouldnt have a clue about putlog but dont make me a bad .crap scaff cause am inxperienced on 1 type or another of scaffol simples

Interesting thread spunky, personally I cant see how its quicker to drill holes, but each to there own.

A putlog scaffold is still acceptable up to a load class 3. TG 20. the name putlog came from the Romans (put log in wall,when scaffolds were constructed out of timber )

Spent many years house bashing n back in day putlog wa norm but I'm sorry mate just can't see how cuttin Ya own holes n then puttin job up as opposed to firin an independant in from start can be either quicker or easier,but each to His own,go wi what Ya feel is right

Round here, the housebuilders were still using putlog up until around 5 yrs ago.

It died a death when the H&S inspectors started demanding an inside ledger underslung right the way round on every lift and rakers on every second standard.

There was also the fact that (I believe) you didn't have to clip on as per SG4.

A putlog scaffold is still acceptable up to a load class 3. TG 20. the name putlog came from the Romans (put log in wall,when scaffolds were constructed out of timber )

you sure about that instructor, didnt know romans spoke english:smile1:

We still do the occasional putlog job, but it's always for new builds.
Surely it would be difficult to get the muck the correct colour when you repoint the holes in the brickwork and the wall would look crap when you've done it. What if it's on a listed building?
As said before the time you take to drill the holes and refill them would be a lot slower than erecting an independent scaffold.
Putlog scaffolds should be a bricklayers scaffold as there are no inside standards to get in the way, and you can throw them up really quickly.
A

Think the term originated a little after the romans when we were building castles, churches etc.

Ahem!I think according to my extensive research,lol,the term was first used around the 1640's.
As mentioned by Dass, as far as I can remember,we always dogged every other std and underslung inside ledger so trannie could be chucked in to pick up boards.

Putlog holes, as the name implies, are small holes that were intended to receive the ends of logs or squared wooden beams in the walls of buildings, especially in the Middle Ages.

Sometimes these logs were used for temporary scaffolding in construction, and sometimes they seem to have been used to ease the construction of hoardings. Evidence for the former can sometimes be seen from the spiral pattern they have left on the surface of round towers.

The inconsequential size and the spacing of the holes meant that they did not affect the solidity of the walls.

Hoardings were useful, as they gave archers greater mobility and a wider field of fire in times of siege; they also (through holes in the floor) facilitated dropping boulders (etc.) directly onto the enemy's heads, without the need to expose oneself to danger.

In well-preserved castles, like Beaumaris, the putlog holes can be seen to this day.

Putlog holes are still used in modern scaffolding.

drilling holes ???/ , i thought the end of the transome tube was tapered to fit inbetween the joint ? even woese if you have to track beds !!1:embarrest:

Top Bottom