Punchings

andyf8686

Reaction score
What is the max space you can punch up on a tube that is under slung on Steal with beam clamps and is there any ref to it in TG20 ?
( how far from the beam clamp can you go)

i would say the beam clamp is the node point so 9 inchs as long as the span between the steel isnt more than 6ft

Personally Id never go more than 4 inches away,but closer the better.Why are you wanting to be so far from the beam clamp?

It's because they need to weld steel handrail to the steel we are coming off but there is an independent running down the 2 sides we are punching up off the underside of the steel so we can run a deck head through it for the next set of steel work.

Andy if you ain't got a design I would put as many under slings in as you can say 2/3ft centres run a ledger on top to punch off ,ledger braces (if you can )and you should be well in if a drawing is prepared later.that's what I'd do but if you ain't sure get em to fork out for a drawing mate.

if you are in any doubt andy you should go with the OCA GUIDELINES,as i presume you are on wallsend and keep the puncheons(french word as was transoms from when the normans built their castles all over england and wales)as close to the beam clamp as possible but never exceeding 6".
if you have to go by that you can raker up or beck to the beam clamp.
hope this helps pal

Why put your head in the noose, by using your ad-hoc design with no calcs to back it up, when you know a drawing is required.If anything goes wrong they will hang you out to dry mate

If they wish to treat us as children,we must act like children, ask for a drawing and erect as stated

Why put your head in the noose, by using your ad-hoc design with no calcs to back it up, when you know a drawing is required.If anything goes wrong they will hang you out to dry mate

If they wish to treat us as children,we must act like children, ask for a drawing and erect as stated

I agree if in doubt get the drawing done ,don't put your name on it if you ain't happy even though you no your scaffold could survive a direct nuclear strike!!

rigger i have the upmost respect and read your post about how the game has changed but in my opinion andy is working in a yard were he is expected to be shown a job and with his knowledge and ability should be able to build it without any real problems if in doubt ask the guy who is tagging it to see if hes happy.
the job he has described is not really out of the ordinary,come on 2 lifts punched up.

Puncheon

In architecture, a puncheon is any vertical scaffold tube used in the erection of tubular scaffolding, which is not supported upon the ground or upon a base plate.
</U></I>
Found on http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/brow

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Happy

" andy is working in a yard were he is expected to be shown a job and with his knowledge and ability should be able to build it without any real problems if in doubt ask the guy who is tagging it to see if hes happy."

I have not read anything like that as an excemption to following the guidance of the HSE as too which scaffolds require a design

the job he has described is not really out of the ordinary,come on 2 lifts punched up.

Agree fully,a job any advanced scaffolder could erect in his sleep, but is a loading bay,a staircase,any more difficult.They require drawings

rigger if andy does ask for a design drawing he probably wont get one thst referrs to the speciffic job it will more thasn likely be a generic drawing which he will have deveiate from as is the norm nowadays.
the regs that have came out from nasc and the big companies are coming back to haunt them,like when a job just a wee bit out of the ordinary comes along.
the other thing is when you start asking for drawings you are deemed as pest and a trouble maker:blink:

This is the world we live in now lads,what do you do? Do them a favour stick the job up with no drawing and put it all on yourself,or do you make them play by the rules we have had imposed on us even though we are more than qualified to make decisions ourselves .

I know where your coming from, But :suspicious:

There is no such thing as a "generic drawing" all drawings, if required by HSE guidance must be job specific.

If we work outside the guidelines, for whatever reasons we may justify,we are liable to prosecution and perhaps a claim for damages for any injuries sustained by not showing a "duty of care" to or fellow workers

its got to get tagged and if hes not happy then ask him what else he wants put in its his neck in the noose at the end of the day:eek:

Top Bottom