Pulley Systems - Do they need to be tested/approved?

J I'm sure if it can handle a fat lazy abseiler swinging around on it you should be okay hoisting tube on it.if I remember these things are also used for rescue situations,and I also no that no one has ever been killed through failure of abseiling gear..

there was an abseiller who died on the brents im sure he was using abseilling equipment that failed directly or indirectly.
if the BIG RIG was used something went wrong then when they come to in vestigate the incident they will ask for the paper work regarding the big rig the rope etc if you dont have it then you will be deemed to have acted negligently.
its a chance you take but rules are rules its up to you

there was an abseiller who died on the brents im sure he was using abseilling equipment that failed directly or indirectly.
if the BIG RIG was used something went wrong then when they come to in vestigate the incident they will ask for the paper work regarding the big rig the rope etc if you dont have it then you will be deemed to have acted negligently.
its a chance you take but rules are rules its up to you

This was the only death in UK rope access, they did'nt use rope protectors and their ropes cut through some grateing. This was'nt failure of rope access equipment, it was caused by human error. When you buy rope access gear, ie. pulleys, they come with a cert of conformity, then its a visual inspection.. time period I'm not 100% sure, but like all gear should be checked before use, they don't work on a sell by date, the more use they get , the quicker they need replacing, in rope access the supervisor will do and log all checks on kit. Instructions regarding max weight allowed on a pulley will be there, and its a lot more than the 50kg on a gin wheel. you can add more pulleys and pull whatever weight you like, although the more pulleys the slower the lift, the max allowed is all dependant on the weakest link in your set up.

you need a test certificate if using any kind of lifting equip on site, even if it just erecting scaffold for your purpose only, some companies don't provide rope due to insurance reasons. just be careful ?

All rope access gear will go back to get inspected at a set period, when checked it will if it is ok come back out for work, with a record and cert of such test. All rope access companies supply the rope ( your fuk.ed without it lol ) if your using a rope access pulley as a gin wheel on scaffold... why not just use a normal steel gin wheel ?? much less prone to damage than an aluminium rope access pulley.. and remember a rope access pulley won't like an 18mm scaff rope..

Hi guys.

I have an question for the Forum.
Does a Ginney Wheel need to be tested or approved before use and does this apply to ALL types of pulley systems used?

Im only asking because i carry about and use a small lightweight Abseilers Pulley, along with a Light-line that when combined with each other it makes a small/light/easy to use and carry Rope and Wheel.

I dont use it all the time, its really only for emergency use, when a proper Rope and Wheel aint available.

yates_pulley.jpg

Kind of like the one above.
I know it seems silly, but its a really smart piece of kit and its saved my arse on more then one occasion...

My question is: Does this need to be tested/approved BEFORE use on site, like a proper Ginney Wheel might need to be? :wondering:

Morning Jason
I believe Ian has answered most if not all points relating to this.
I will draw all parties attention to TG20 sections 13, 16 and 36.6.4.Most noteworthy is the requirement for Gin Wheels to comply with relevant EN standards and that ropes hooks and wheels are to be marked for identification. These identification tags should display the SWL of the component.
This data is then normally kept in a register for reference should the company be audited or the worst happens.
I think the question about using the rock climbing equipment for a purpose other than that for which it was designed would not fare well in court .

Top Bottom