Pulley Systems - Do they need to be tested/approved?

J

Jason-Gibbs

Hi guys.

I have an question for the Forum.
Does a Ginney Wheel need to be tested or approved before use and does this apply to ALL types of pulley systems used?

Im only asking because i carry about and use a small lightweight Abseilers Pulley, along with a Light-line that when combined with each other it makes a small/light/easy to use and carry Rope and Wheel.

I dont use it all the time, its really only for emergency use, when a proper Rope and Wheel aint available.

yates_pulley.jpg

Kind of like the one above.
I know it seems silly, but its a really smart piece of kit and its saved my arse on more then one occasion...

My question is: Does this need to be tested/approved BEFORE use on site, like a proper Ginney Wheel might need to be? :wondering:

Here you go Jason, remember that all lifting operations should be planned & a lifting plan in place. Failure of any lifting equipment will be RIDDOR reportable.

Thorough examination and inspection

9.—(1) Every employer shall ensure that before lifting equipment is put into service for the first time by him it is thoroughly examined for any defect unless either—

(a)the lifting equipment has not been used before; and.

(b)in the case of lifting equipment for which an EC declaration of conformity could or (in the case of a declaration under the Lifts Regulations 1997) should have been drawn up, the employer has received such declaration made not more than 12 months before the lifting equipment is put into service;.

or, if obtained from the undertaking of another person, it is accompanied by physical evidence referred to in paragraph (4).

(2) Every employer shall ensure that, where the safety of lifting equipment depends on the installation conditions, it is thoroughly examined—

(a)after installation and before being put into service for the first time; and.

(b)after assembly and before being put into service at a new site or in a new location,.

to ensure that it has been installed correctly and is safe to operate.

(3) Subject to paragraph (6), every employer shall ensure that lifting equipment which is exposed to conditions causing deterioration which is liable to result in dangerous situations is—

(a)thoroughly examined—.

(i)in the case of lifting equipment for lifting persons or an accessory for lifting, at least every 6 months;.

(ii)in the case of other lifting equipment, at least every 12 months; or.

(iii)in either case, in accordance with an examination scheme; and.

(iv)each time that exceptional circumstances which are liable to jeopardise the safety of the lifting equipment have occurred; and.

(b)if appropriate for the purpose, is inspected by a competent person at suitable intervals between thorough examinations,.

to ensure that health and safety conditions are maintained and that any deterioration can be detected and remedied in good time.

(4) Every employer shall ensure that no lifting equipment—

(a)leaves his undertaking; or.

(b)if obtained from the undertaking of another person, is used in his undertaking, unless it is accompanied by physical evidence that the last thorough examination required to be carried out under this regulation has been carried out..

(5) This regulation does not apply to winding apparatus to which the Mines (Shafts and Winding) Regulations 1993(1) apply.

(6) Where lifting equipment was before the coming into force of these Regulations required to be thoroughly examined by a provision specified in paragraph (7), the first thorough examination under paragraph (3) shall be made before the date by which a thorough examination would have been required by that provision had it remained in force.

(7) The provisions referred to in paragraph (6) are—

(a)section 22(2), 25(2), 26(1)(d) and 27(2) of the Factories Act 1961(2);.

(b)regulations 34(2) and 37(1) of the Shipbuilding and Ship-repairing Regulations 1960(3);.

(c)regulations 28(3), 40 and 46(1) of the Construction (Lifting Operations) Regulations 1961(4);.

(d)regulations 3(1) and (2) and 6(1) of the Offices, Shops and Railway Premises (Hoists and Lifts) Regulations 1968(5);.

(e)regulation 6(1)(c) of and Part III of Schedule 1 to the Offshore Installations (Operational Safety, Health and Welfare) Regulations 1976(6);.

(f)Regulation 15 of the Docks Regulations 1988(7).

So that means what? Lol.

I can use it, as long as i inspect it and deem it fit for use?
It is an actual piece of Mountaineering equipment, sold in shops, so id imagine that it is fully patented and tested for use.

i think you will find that its for use in climbing only
check LOLA regs

if you're using it at work it's a different game as you are no longer a recreational user.

just an opinion like.

Every 6 month and that stands for gin wheels also
It is cheaper to buy new gin wheels than get them tested

spot on mate cape toss them away after 6months now cheaper to buy em rather than post package or get site visit to test em.

All lifting equipment is under LOLER mate, and should be tested and records kept, ours are every 3 month.. a gin wheel is a visual inspection, so don't see were its cheaper to buy a new one... checked by a "competant" person.. ie. scaffolder..

If you dont need a ticket to inspect a Ginney Wheel - just a visual will do, then i should be fine to visually inspect the 'Big Rig' then?

Rofl! :laugh::laugh:

Its the name i use for my Pulley.
Essex hates it also, hes always saying: "F.uck off with the 'Big Rig' shiit - thats a crap name!"

I proper wind him up over it.
Lol. :laugh:

Most pulling equipment, harnesses, etc are visual, you can't test them to distruction or obviously there ****.ed.... yeh and " big rig " is fuk.in gay mate..lol

J I'm sure if it can handle a fat lazy abseiler swinging around on it you should be okay hoisting tube on it.if I remember these things are also used for rescue situations,and I also no that no one has ever been killed through failure of abseiling gear..

In fact theres only been 1 death involving rope access in the UK, that was offshore and they cut through their ropes ( no rope protectors )

hey J
everyones correct about the lola and checks the only thing i'd like to point out is that terrible phrase "competent person" u and me both may think we are but if u had to go to court bcause of injury due to misuse or failure u gotta prove you are and sayin ur a scaff aint proof..a good brief would pull u apart and say no formal qual in lola or inspection means u not competant ....much easier to spend anoth 20 quid and buy another putting the emphasis and onis onto the supplier

I'm sure Jason is an advanced CISRS scaffolder, this would deem him competant to inspect this gear, also its not rocket science to inspect a pulley. You have to take responsibility ( unless your unconfident, then buy a new one )

Hi Guys,

The clue is in the phrasing of the regulations -specifically Regulation 9(3)

(3) Subject to paragraph (6), every employer shall ensure that lifting equipment which is exposed to conditions causing deterioration which is liable to result in dangerous situations is—

(a)thoroughly examined—.

(i)in the case of lifting equipment for lifting persons or an accessory for lifting, at least every 6 months

My emphasis on the bold - in law an "inspection" is not the same as a "thorough examination" - a thorough examination can only be undertaken by someone with an engineering background in this instance - inspection is what you should all be doing to you own kit on a regular basis - that is under PUWER rather than LOLER - the regulations further require, under Regulation 10, that a written report is submitted as soon as is practicable - and if the report indicates a serious defect, (likely to enganger persons)that a copy is sent to the HSE.

Not having a T/E for either a gin wheel or a harness (which is lifting equipment as it is used for lowering a load - i.e. a person), or any lifting accessories is likely to net an improvement notice if the kit is in reasonable nick or a prohibition notice if it is in poor nick.

Hope this helps

Otto:cool:

Top Bottom