Product Knowledge

aom

Reaction score
We are currently waiting on putting all the boy's myself included through this training and have been discussing it with a few different people to make sure we are doing the right course for what we do. It seems the idea there was going to be a cup, ring, wedge or rosette type course has now gone and individual courses must be undertaken to cover cuplok, genlok, tradlok and klok. This is to make sure the erector is familiar with any small eccentricities between individual manufacturers advice with sway brace spacings and the like. Fair enough you may think but if the scaffs have to be trained in individual scaffold types would it not be fair to assume your average 2 day inspector would need the same additional training or how else would he know what rules to apply. Another thought about the same training would be does everyone have just one type or is there more than a mix than we would like to admit. I am fairly fortunate as I only really buy from one supplier but during a recent h&s awareness training day the scaffold on show was built using 3 different types and when I asked the rep what conditions to apply to the tower for inspecting he got a bit flumaxed.

I just wondered what everyone was doing about this.

If your on about actual different qualifications.

Then i have:

CISRS Advanced Gold Card.
PTS (full) Network Rail Trackside Ticket.
LUACAS (full) London Underground Ticket.
CCNSG Safety Passport.
CDR Harness Rescue (Gotcha) Ticket.

I find that these alone are enough to get me through the door at most jobs.
But having extra tickets in Systems, like Layher would be handy... Maybe to have both Haki and Layher tickets. - They would be very handy indeed.

Always fancied getting my IRATA (Abseiling ticket) and First Aid, along with my Advanced Scaffolding Inspection ticket, which ill more then likely be getting after Christmas.

Unfortunately in this day and age, tickets dont mean that your better or worse at your job. Ive worked with guys who have card coming out there ears, that literally cant tie a tube of, or read a drawing. - But firms love them, as they are flexible and can work and are legally covered to work anywhere.

Its all about tickets nowadays.
And firms wanna see as many as you can get. :)

It seems Jason that we can no longer erect system without this product training regardless of what cards you have or don't have. Seems a bit of an exercise to me and will be amazed if they can teach our part 1 anything he doesn't already know, but if they do I will be the first to admit it.

It seems Jason that we can no longer erect system without this product training regardless of what cards you have or don't have. Seems a bit of an exercise to me and will be amazed if they can teach our part 1 anything he doesn't already know, but if they do I will be the first to admit it.

Its another massive money making scam mate.
I thought that every inch of this game was covered and money making ideas were all used up... guess i was wrong.

Next thing they will make you have a ticket for is putting a harness on, which'll be a 2 day course @ £300.

I work with ALOT of guys who still wear their harnesses incorrectly.
Mark my words. :sad:

Aye and about £350 plus expenses for the course.

Ive heard that Simian inspectors have to do the product knowledge course so they are aware of the differences, can any one confirm?

I would imagine all inspectors would need to do the course but not sure. The way it looks to me though they would need to do every one they were inspecting though.

These system courses stink . In all my years in this game I have found scaffolding ever evolving . So every time there is a new innovation be it a new type of system or something similar we need a new card , every training facility rubs their hands and says yehaa we can get more from the daft sods . Enough is enough , if you cannot work out how to put component parts together on a system scaffold your card should be withdrawn at once . The money being sucked out of this game by offshoot industries is obscene and has to stop . CISRS TUBE AND FITTING COURSES SHOULD COVER ALL ASPECTS ,quite simple .

To me this is total bull **** another money making scam,doesnt all systems recomend they are erected to manafacturers guidelines??surely to god any advanced scaff should have the qualifications to do this..when is all this ticket scamming gona stop.:mad: should be all covered in the advance course i think.

Do inspectors not have to refer to manufacturers instructions and guidlines when inspecting different systems ? Would this then cancel out the need for them to do product training ?

Ive heard that Simian inspectors have to do the product knowledge course so they are aware of the differences, can any one confirm?

Yes all our inspectors, instructors and consultants are trained in different systems. They all carry the manufacturers instructions as well. All new inspectors are going through this now.
Ian

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 AM ----------

This stems from the Hse scaffold sheet that came out in 2006 and revised in 2008 and 2010 about being trained in the product you are using. It came out because of two collapses in Scotland, it's featured on here before and you can get it from the Hse website.

Ian

Aom I will email you later

maybe the two collapses happened coz they wernt erected to the manafacturers guidelines..surely that rests on the man who signed off the scaffold..ie advanced scaffolder..should it just be included in the advanced course..instead of puttin everyone through it just have an advanced scaff on every job..

maybe the two collapses happened coz they wernt erected to the manafacturers guidelines..surely that rests on the man who signed off the scaffold..ie advanced scaffolder..should it just be included in the advanced course..instead of puttin everyone through it just have an advanced scaff on every job..

It's that far back I cannot remember but it also had something to do with non trained men as well, the law is the law pal.

It's that far back I cannot remember but it also had something to do with non trained men as well, the law is the law pal.

Suppose your right simian..just my opinion mate..just seems like a money making scam...but then again safety is paramount isnt it.;)

Health and Safety is the biggest money making scheme since Religion.
I think people are more scared nowadays of the HSE Inspectors then they ever were of the clergy, lol.

Very true...thats why all these no good products are been forced on the working man..health and safety bodies like the hsa-hse must be making a killing out of them lol

Health and Safety is the biggest money making scheme since Religion.
I think people are more scared nowadays of the HSE Inspectors then they ever were of the clergy, lol.

I've met a few HSE inspectors and never had a problem, they seem to be quite reasonable, but then again ive never been caught doing anything silly!

Mr hse was kind enough to invite me along to a meeting a couple of weeks back in Inverness where he left me and every scaffold contractor operating in the north of Scotland in no doubt that he expects to see advanced guard rails or step on every job and see the men trained in whatever they are building, hence the panic to get this done. The young team do have an element of system training mentioned on their certificates but for some reason it's not enough.

Mr hse was kind enough to invite me along to a meeting a couple of weeks back in Inverness where he left me and every scaffold contractor operating in the north of Scotland in no doubt that he expects to see advanced guard rails or step on every job and see the men trained in whatever they are building, hence the panic to get this done. The young team do have an element of system training mentioned on their certificates but for some reason it's not enough.

AOM, thats a fair trek for you to inverness, you should have popped into Perth the day before as i was there. I was talking to Dave who did a presentation. Was the HSE a Mr B. He is hot on scaffolding up there.

Ian

Top Bottom