Pricing a birdcage

Bird Cage Pricing Explanation in Layman's Terms contact on a Monday only:

Wetherspoons Bar room Lawyers located at the Scaffs corner table (Approach with Caution if you have short arms & deep pockets)

Last edited:
Even before the common access to computers we had printed grid matrices available in larger companies to work out birdcage scaffold materials according to grid and lift patterns.
As ever, the accumulated knowledge of these techniques have been consigned to the bin as the increasing use of computer pricing packages made us lazy.

I do wonder if somewhere in one of my lofts I have kept one of these faded hand-drafted documents!

The time I spent back in the 70's in CCO in Mitcham taking quants off drawings long hand with pen and paper for 10 Scaffold Designers is horrendous but it did help to gain a better understanding of the scaffold and its content.

That said XL is a big time saver and very adaptable if you have the time to play with it, XL that is!!

SGB, Palmers,Mills, Stephens & Carter etc. All the big companies of the time had their design departments at head office as you well remember. But as a rule the first attempt at tendering was at depot level where the estimator had to work out the grid and lift heights, tube fitting and boards needed, labour and transport values, all to provide a competitive price. That is where the issued 'grid matrices' would be used. Always the big birdcages and temporary supporting structures would go straight to design for pricing back in the day. But as you say Excel is a powerful tool to use for those with the knowledge of cell formulation who understand the components of scaffold estimation.

HUH????

Does one have the ability to answer a question without referencing ones 3d modelling software? Bad form old bean, bad form indeed
?

any 3D modelling software
i am working to produce one, but any 3D software will do
i was explaining my workflow, not trying to put myself in front

In that case old bean, one apologises profusely for ones cynicism and downright facetious inclination. May i enquire to sir's background within the construction industry? Does sir posses a knowledge of the vertical access technician or has sir progressed through the ranks of the information technology background, hense the 3D modelling software?

In that case old bean, one apologises profusely for ones cynicism and downright facetious inclination. May i enquire to sir's background within the construction industry? Does sir posses a knowledge of the vertical access technician or has sir progressed through the ranks of the information technology background, hense the 3D modelling software?

you have clearly something against me, i can't figure why, but this is not at all about scaffolding, so i don't have anything more to add

you have clearly something against me, i can't figure why, but this is not at all about scaffolding, so i don't have anything more to add

A couple of things Giro,
1) it is about scaffolding
2) he's having the craic so please don't take it personally.
regards
Alan

How very dare thee sir!! :eek:

Just wanted to know if you had a scaffolding background or whether you were just savvy with the programming and computer stuff thats all cocker. So?

if you know your cost per sq/metre of lift then simply divide by the metre cubed. Have a look at the software smart scaffolder for doing this you can check it over different ways of pricing. Works great and you get gear lists and drawings

Not so expensive when you see what it gives. Definatley a worthwhile investment! Solves all your estimating problems for birdcages plus you get drawings too:laugh:

Top Bottom