poverty

so they dont ave pay the lads that make em there dough any extra

Because your always shelling out,tax for this n that
materials etc been there done that happy as at being a monkey again atleast i get my peanuts.

so they dont ave pay the lads that make em there dough any extra

Exactly.

They are ALWAYS skint...
So skint that most go on holiday 4 times a year, live in houses and live lifestyles that are well, well above the breadline.

If they tell you that they have had a fantastic year and earned several million pounds off you and the other boys hard graft, then your almost going to definitely ask for a few quid pay rise.

Thats the reason they pleed poverty.
To get out of giving you the payrise/day-rate, that you SHOULD be getting anyway. :mad:

Paying extortionate rates & digs for poor production will send most bosses into poverty.:D

Gets coat before the onsluaght starts :D

Can anyone list all the out goings of a scaffold company ?

The last firm i worked for had a meeting with all the staff and announced that he made a hugh loss in the last quarter.

But somehow had managed to upgrade his car and have a new house built !!

Too many to list Paul but you already know the usual suspects. Transport and insurance are the heavy one's and there is always room for growth so a fair chunk has to be reinvested, other than that it's the usual stuff.

Ive never run a Scaffolding firm...
But id like to guess at:

• Scaffolders wages (Possibly the single biggest expense to a Scaffolding firm).
  • Hire on a Yard (Including any cabins and stuff).
  • Scaffolding materials (Tube, fitting, boards, netting/caps and such).
  • Transport (Lorries, vans, company cars).
  • Insurance (Public liability, operators licence and so on).
  • Rates (Water, electric, heat, gas and whatever).
  • Communication systems (Including website, computers, phones, faxes).
  • Advertising (Including jumpers/t-shirts, paper articles, fliers, business cards and so on).
  • Safety equipment (Harness, boots, gloves, glasses, hi-vis, hard hats).

• Bribes/Back-handers (Lets be fair... this is how ALOT of construction contracts, Scaffolding or otherwise are won and lost, lol).

Theres probably alot more, but i have NO experience at all of running my own firm.
But if that firm is already established you could probably wipe a good few of those items off the list, as most would have already been sorted like a website and phones and stuff.

probly cost in region of £50.000,just to get started now,had my own firm in early ninetys for six years,cost us £3.000 then,just to get going,i believe its not easy getting insurance now if you havent had own business before.they wont entertain you.therefore making it hard to set up.(unless you want to be a slasher)

Ya.

I mean you can probably just nick your gear and get some 'old pig' of a lorry and away you go.

But if you wanna do it properly: New tube/fittings/boards, nicely painted, sign boards, decent lorry, website, company logo clothes and stuff then id guess £50,000 is about right.

I know it depends on a lot of factors numbnuts but I would say 50k is a very conservative estimate.

An interesting thought though, realistically what would it take to get you kicked off to include cash in the bank as safety net?

I would think you would need at least double that to start from scratch and call yourself a company rather than one man band.

How much do you reckon it would cost to set up a little firm Aom ? With good gear done right, maybe with just a couple of additional blokes ? Another scaff and a labourer, with a small lock up on an industrial estate or some such to store the gear ?

I did it the long hard way Zoetsy, I started doing homers in between trips off shore until I didn't have time to go back to the rigs. After 11 years of continual re-investment we are left with a set up that would take a lot more than the figures quoted to match. 50k would be eaten up with material to keep 1 squad going in no time, you would need loads of very small jobs that were standing for a very short space of time to make that work. As I said, I reckon at the very minimum, double to call yourself a firm.

tube £1-00 per foot
boards £9-00 each
fittings average £1-00 each
wagon half decent £10-000, fuel approx 15 miles per gallon, insurance £2500-00 named driver only

yard rent £80-00 per week
mobile phone £150-00 per month
H&S kit and stuff £Unlimited

Wages Based According to most peoples opinions on this forum

£150-00 per day per good scaff
£120-00 per day per half good scaff
£100-00 per day per wanka scaff or labourer

include for company van, fuel card , and poss accomodation for scaffs aswell

advertising
stationary
office and PCs etc etc
postage
power,fuel, heating, rates,
office staff
paint
oils, lubricants etc etc
servicing and maintainance of kit and vehicles
insurance, tax, vat,

enough cash reserve to allow for all wages , bills etc etc to be paid until you start getting regular payments and hope you dont get bumped etc etc

Thats just the tip of the iceberg chaps :)

i used to buy all the gear i could from friends and others,buying black steel worked for me on sites and new builds,galv for street work,we were three men and a lorry and a secratory.

Top Bottom