portfolios

dico

Reaction score
rang a trainning centre up the other day and ask about the time scale of portpollios how long they take to be looked at the lady on the phone said they normally take 4 to 6 weeks but with the amount of scaffolders comeing into the trade there takeing up to 12 weeks now you no why theres so many scaffolders chasing work i no everybody needs to work but this must be pushing the exsperienced scaffolder out of work and pushing the rates down

Obviously, I could be very wrong, but here is another way to look at it.

They are churning out all these young guns with a part 1 who truth be told cant turn a spanner, I know not all but a fair chunk. The unscrupulous agency and cowboy employer hoover them up to do donkey stand by work or whatever guff they want them to do making guys like me who are average at best all of a sudden look like a fekin rock star and command super star wages.

As I said, could be wrong, but it's not difficult to stand head and shoulders above the newly qualified and any employer who cant recognise that fact should hang their head in shame.

you may be right aom i see a advert the other day asking for a part 2 scaffolder but did say they would take a part 1 with exsperience so you may be right aom everybodys got to learn but the part 1 seems to be flooding the market what ever happened to learning the trade first

I see it all the time and have a few theories. I still think the biggest problem is half wit employers who still don't know what a part 1 can and cant do, you cant really blame the young team for trying to push ahead.

Off topic, I know, but when I saw this thread I thought it was going to be about a Greek island :(

Do you need to rush the portfolio to get the assessment done?

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Off topic, I know, but when I saw this thread I thought it was going to be about a Greek island :(

Which one, Lindos or Pathos?

i make you right aom everybodys got to learn and most or some part1s have been brought throw the scaffolding game properley. but some have woke up and said yeah think i will be a scaffolder £10 £12 a hour on some jobs for a part 1 yeah that will do cant be that hard this is were it all goes wrong you have that part 1 money for course your get that course and you will pass. £24.50 will get you a qualified part 1 ticket to work for some agents or employees even if youve never scaffolded before if you cant speak english that dosent matter either coz you cant be discriminated in this country.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

dont you just hate it when someone trolls a thread:laugh:

Exactly, not too sure what's to be done about it as it takes a long time to change human nature. I won't say too much but I was surprised to see someone on here wanting to start their own scaffold firm part time with no experience, hey ho, as long as there are people like that I look good.:noworry:

this is were it goes wrong for people like you aom i no you spend money on trainning and courses for your self and your lads and joe blogs pulls up with a beaten olde van and builds a scaffold in singles. or like that bloke the other day said on a thread on here with swivles. dont no what the answer is aom.its not fair on the likes of you mate

Thanks Kev but we welcome the chase.;)

To be honest, my attitude can win me work. Sometimes we have to loose a customer to really win him if you know what I mean, but most come back. Our part 1's are treated like part 1's although they could build the part 1 jobs on their jack jones and one hand tied behind their backs long before they do the course but they still don't get let loose on the public without a scaff and only get the odd shot of twirling. I sometimes think it must be becuse of where we live and operate and the fact we are so small that makes it work for us.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

time to feck it off:notrust:

Can't fault you BF, feel like that often but what else is there?

rang a trainning centre up the other day and ask about the time scale of portpollios how long they take to be looked at the lady on the phone said they normally take 4 to 6 weeks but with the amount of scaffolders comeing into the trade there takeing up to 12 weeks now you no why theres so many scaffolders chasing work i no everybody needs to work but this must be pushing the exsperienced scaffolder out of work and pushing the rates down

Dico you can always try another way ie p m someone who works there and is a member on here. Give it a go you might get a better answer.

Must admit, I did see an instructor doing a fella a favour one Friday afternoon.

Dont you think most people starting out have a beaten up old motor??Even joe blogs started off selling clothes out the back of his old beast:laugh:

Years ago i started out with an old motor, worst bit is ,Ive still got it.:rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with it Frederik, I started with a grunter. I always get a wee bit upset when someone slates the white van man as I still see myself that way. You don't need to be cutting about in a fancy pick up to do it right though. ;)

bet you were 1 of those blokes frederick that came to your door with a little suitcase with house hold gagets in. like the tooth paste key exstractor which you put at the bottom of the tooth paste and turned if you cant remember that you ante that olde mate. also what ever happened to the tofee appleman on hes bike with the bell!!

Brilliant Dico, remember the key for the toothpaste well.:laugh:

These old hawkers on the bikes were as tough as old boots when you think back.

Gotta admit,you are judged on the motor you turn up in. I always wanted the beast to work for me and not the other way around. lol Some cheeky fuka stuk a note on my screen 2 weeks ago saying scrap motors bought for cash.

Gotta admit,you are judged on the motor you turn up in. I always wanted the beast to work for me and not the other way around. lol Some cheeky fuka stuk a note on my screen 2 weeks ago saying scrap motors bought for cash.

haha, I have had the note myself before.:laugh:

The quality of the vehicle can work both ways depending on who you are speaking too. Two incidents have stuck in my mind, first one although it was the very end of the job before he admitted it, a manager told me when he saw me turning up in an old van dripping in sweat for a pre start meeting he knew he was going to give me the job as it reminded him of his dad, who was a grafter. The second one was another pre start meeting and again well down the road of the job, the manager admitted the first guy I met didn't want me on his site as I turned up in the old 7.5t truck, again wearing the only suit I feel comfortable in, the boiler suit and he didn't trust me. Once the 2 fairly big jobs were completed to the satisfaction of all, they were added to the growing list of companies that asked me if I would travel with them.

Don't judge a book by it's cover.:noworry:

Top Bottom