plans to stamp out agency self-employment

HatterScaff

Reaction score
Construction Enquirer » 200,000 workers hit by agency self-employment purge

Construction is set for a major labour upheaval when plans to stamp out agency self-employment come into force on 6 April.

Details of the Government’s plan to target employment agencies and temporary workers have been highlighted in the just published draft Finance Bill.

Leading accountants estimate the new legislation will affect around 200,000 construction workers operating as self-employed through agencies.

From 6 April they will be subject to tax and employee national insurance contributions deducted at source, raising the expected tax take by £520m in the next year alone.

Mark Collins, Baker Tilly’s National Head of the Employer Consulting Group said: “These new rules are likely to affect hundreds of thousands of temps and other self-employed workers using employment agencies and will have a disproportionate effect on the construction sector.

“It will be interesting to see how hard-pressed construction businesses react to these extra costs.”

The PAYE and NI rules currently accept that a self-employed worker finding work through an agency is still self-employed and should be taxed as such.

But in the new tax year, if the worker personally carries out the work, or is involved in the provision of the services, payments will have to be payrolled, so the worker will have tax and employee NICs deducted at source.

The agency will also become liable for employer NICs.

This means a worker’s own NI cost will then be 3% higher than the 9% paid as a self-employed person, and the employing agency has a completely new liability at 13.8%.

The proposed government legislation will remove a clause often included in contracts between an employment agency and a worker.

This clause allows the worker to send someone else to do their job, something which in reality the government believes does not happen. Under existing legislation such a clause allows a worker to be classed as self employed.

It is this legal loophole that the Government argues is disguising employment as self-employment

"This means a worker’s own NI cost will then be 3% higher than the 9% paid as a self-employed person, and the employing agency has a completely new liability at 13.8%."

You will not be liable for schedule 4 tax for the portion of your yearly earnings that are paid on the book's.

The "umbrella" companies will no longer be able to charge for making up your wages.

It would be good to hear from the agencies that advertise on the Forum with information on how the new legislation will effect the many lads that are on their "books"

This will help in the de-casualisation of the construction recruitment business and may lead the big and small main contractors to employ men directly.It will also help the small scaffolding companies, that pay NI contributions for their men, as the day rates for their labour will be more competitive with the "agencies" having to pay the 13.8% NI employers contribution

I think this is a positive move, will be watching developments over the coming months

Knowing agencies are cut throat thieves I reckon it will be the worker who loses out in this not the agency,I have always said avoid agencies at all costs and my position still stands.

yes mate but isn't this a nail in their coffin I feckin hate them leaching feks with a vengeance we don't need middle men we want all the money we deserve

Its a start, and i've noticed on the job page that the agencies are getting less and less replies. Wont be long before their gone.

Nope it won't

I also notice this has been moved away from the job section..,,

I've never had dealings with agencys but the thought of paying someone to pay me is fuucking outragous.

Just a thought
What's to stop the umbrellas just doing what is required
And charging you more for the pleasure?

Got to be honest, there was a self employment purge a good few years back when they removed the old 714 and SC60. Everyone was supposed to go back on the books but they just found another way round it and they will just do it again. Aom's prediction, it will mean fook all.

I can't see any scaffolder's wages increasing because of this, in fact quite a few will be worse off in the short term.

We have all got to pay tax Swifty. They would be a lot better off closing some loopholes for the rich and famous but as usual settling for the soft target.

To be honest, I have never liked self employed. I don't just mean for scaffolding but for me it rewards rough as fook work.

Don't all go off on one about the right and wrongs, I know plenty have done it well for years but I can only speak as I find and I have seen plenty.

Top Bottom