Pet hate or debate

Ffs Frederik, the only thing left to be wrong with the scaffold you just described is if the ties were not tested or worse not there. Is jakdan from Essex?:eek:

I've seen plenty of nice tidy jobs totally ruined by not not spending ten minutes fitting the ladder it's no good having a safe working platform if you get killed accessing it,the ladder is as important as any other part of the job,the best test for your ladder is to go up and down it a couple of times you will soon see if it feels safe or not.if it doesn't you change it don't you?

Most rational and conscientious people would.
But, unfortunately in this game theres alot of: "That'll do, it aint my Dads firm" attitude.

So many Scaffolders dont know how to tie a ladder off and its something that needs to be taught in CITB Colleges, along with Tying Tubes off and reading Drawings.

I've seen plenty of nice tidy jobs totally ruined by not not spending ten minutes fitting the ladder it's no good having a safe working platform if you get killed accessing it,the ladder is as important as any other part of the job,the best test for your ladder is to go up and down it a couple of times you will soon see if it feels safe or not.if it doesn't you change it don't you?

thats why i like it on the lift height, just my opinion but i feel it is safer than the top rail

handrail height, but make sure you have the correct size ladder. Because last month a site manager told me that the ladder was too big, ladder was a 5m tied at approx 3m, when i said it was so only one ladder was used on the same scaffold for when the next progressive lift goes on, saves leaving a 5m and a 3m ladder lying around on site. whats the difference i asked "well what if he carries on up the ladder he might fall off the top" ended up having to wrap the top 2m with bunting from top of handrail to top of ladder.

should of just stood it in a manhole :laugh: Who in their right mind would continue walking up a ladder till they dropped of the end :laugh:

Most rational and conscientious people would.
But, unfortunately in this game theres alot of: "That'll do, it aint my Dads firm" attitude.

So many Scaffolders dont know how to tie a ladder off and its something that needs to be taught in CITB Colleges, along with Tying Tubes off and reading Drawings.

tying tubes, boards and ladders was taught on my part one at hillington back in 91,
i think reading a drawing comes with experience and you can either do it or you can't, i never mock anyone who can't read a drawing, some lads just can't see the picture but tell them where to put the tube and what is required and voila

I try to 'hold' a Drawing the way im facing, to make reading it easier, then just spin it round the right way in my head, if you know what i mean?
Same thing with reading a map.

Things like Tying a Tube off and Tying a Ladder, well there is NO EXCUSES for it.
Every Scaffolder should know both and if they dont, they need to learn to - sharpish.

I dont think they showed us on my Part 1, but i think they should, as a safe and well tied ladder can save a life and is just as important as a well tied Scaffold.

Got to be honest Jason they never showed me how to tie a ladder on any of the courses I have done. They were using ladder clamps when I was there but your right there are a few rudimentary skills they could work on in college but the standard answer when you question anything regarding training is the course's are to give the boys a taster and it's up to the employer to take up the slack. Actually for me, I've just paid cold hard cash in course fee's and wages to get this guy trained up, you hold up this qualification as the gold standard of our trade and now your telling me it's just a tester, you will teach them what I want you to teach them. Don't get me started.

Got to be honest Jason they never showed me how to tie a ladder on any of the courses I have done. They were using ladder clamps when I was there but your right there are a few rudimentary skills they could work on in college but the standard answer when you question anything regarding training is the course's are to give the boys a taster and it's up to the employer to take up the slack. Actually for me, I've just paid cold hard cash in course fee's and wages to get this guy trained up, you hold up this qualification as the gold standard of our trade and now your telling me it's just a tester, you will teach them what I want you to teach them. Don't get me started.

they didn't have rope when you did your part 1

Aye aye very funny, I'm actually still young it's my spine that's ancient.

Surely citb should be teaching part 1 scaffs how to tie a ladder straight after teaching them to erect a first lift so they can access it to erect the next lift,surely this is common sense ?

You know what they say about common sense Damo, it's not so common.

ata from't Yorkshire moanalot ...whats a gate

Yorkshire translation "What is going on old chap"

Just keeping me head down staying away from stupid building sites, hiding round the backs of houses,staying under the radar,ignoring all the crap H&S and just hoarding as much cash as possible...Like I said "whats a gate"...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom