One for the bosses

Flinty

Reaction score
Ah if only master was still here to answer this question :weird:

Anyway what % profit do you consider good for your business?? At what point do you think you're doing well, when do you start to worry and think about making changes and at what % do you think not to bother anymore etc??

im not a boss. but if i was running a business i would have the opinion that all profit is profit none the less. a single penny is always better than breaking even or making a loss.

If all the bills are paid and there is a few quid left at the end of the month then it is a result

never a truer word said in jest phillios

If the end of year results show you have paid all and still have some left over then you can smile. In scaffolding the cost heads are generally Labour, Material's, Transport and Overheads (admin costs running costs and staff wages). When all these costs are satisfied the money you have left over might be called profit.

Last edited:
THE ONLY PROPHET IM INTERESTED IN IS GYPSY MARY AS SHE CAN TELL ME WHATS ROUND THE CORNER.
I FIND IT HELPS WHEN DOING A RETURN :nuts:

An old scrappy had the right idea, he reckoned 1% profit was more than ample for him. He explained his thoughts on it one day when he told me if he bought something for £50 he would only sell it on at the required 1% of £100.:eek:

He was pretty thick but thick the right way.:laugh:

Profit is profit I'd of thought be it £1 or £100,000)?

Unless of course you haven't drawn a wage (if it was your business) then in that case I'd say its not worth it?

Clark, go into a bank with a pound and see what treatment you get. Then go in with 100k and see the difference. Who wants to break your spine and your heart, risk your house for £1?

That about sums it up for me Dass, I reckon most of the smaller firms would agree. Let the big boys chase the big money at their 5-10% loss.

theres no fool like a busy fool i was told by a guy with his own smallish firm.
kind of makes sense to me

Clark, go into a bank with a pound and see what treatment you get. Then go in with 100k and see the difference. Who wants to break your spine and your heart, risk your house for £1?

Of course I was being extreme.

I know Clark and I'm sorry if I sounded off but never underestimate the power of the bottom line.

If I owned a business and ran it and took say £750+ a week wages and at the end of the business year I worked out all in all there was a profit of even small proportion I'd take that? Then again I know nothing of running a business and I know next to nothing of scaffolding! So :unsure:

I wouldn't, I would just go get a job that pays the same and leave the gaffer to take the strain.:idea:

Top Bottom