Omit Ledger Braces

If you put Aberdeens in before you take out the brace surely it would have the same strength if not more been on doubles.Hypothetical I know before I get told to refer to drawing:D

Pre TG20 if using bones you would not need to have put the brace in in the first place (unless sheeted/netted or over 30m high) but that is another story.

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 AM ----------

Don't worry about it Jason, I thought they were to transfer the load to the deck.:embarrest:

On a free standing structure that would be the case but in general terms the load is transfered to the ties.

seem to remember in the good old days that we introduced plan bracing above the lift or lifts. However now i would say refer to design.

Section 41 in TG20:08 volume 2 describes the procedure that allows you to omit ledger bracing from 2 working lifts at a time.

Totally agree Alan, as you said previously if a tie can be provided at every lift there is no need for ledger bracing. The effective length of the standard would be equal to the lift height (or less dependng on the fixity of the tie arrangement). This tie arrangement is not in TG20:08 though so a design would be required (as you also stated previously).

Ledger bracing may only be removed from 2 lifts at a time, any more than this should be put into method statement/Risk assessment.
If ready loks and no bracing installed its not erected to TG:20, then should be designed.
TG:20 requires all scaffolds to braced unless designed.

Top Bottom