Omit Ledger Braces

longun

Reaction score
If an independant scaffold was tied in every lift, every other standard across both sets of standard, could ledger braces be removed?

I've heard about those new fangled Ledger brace things, i keep hitting my head on them, so dont bother with them anymore.

Only Kidding, as Allan666 says, relate back to your Design by Calculation, as per TG20:08

Id bet the scaffold wouldnt fall down :)

Would have to be design surely
But I'd just like to say wow what is it with this tg20 thing
What was wrong with bs5973, when you know, things were sensible

The job of the Brace is to level the Standards. Other then that, it dont do too much.
I cant see much strength or strain on the Braces, i suppose you 'could' use Singles, as they would do the same job.

Ledgers off Doubles and Aberdeens off Doubles ---> Theres your square, made solid from your Standards. :)

I suppose if you was to tie every Standard in at every lift, then you could probably get rid of the Braces all together.

Thats an awful lot of drilling though! :eek:
I dont fancy it much, lol.

The sole duty of a Ledger brace is to provide nodal restraint. Nodal restraint equals effective standard length (lift height) effective length equals strength. (Scaffolders have the added benefit of being able to use the brace to plumb a standard.)

Ledger braces provide the scaffold stiffness between fixing points (ties). Pre TG20 it was always acceptable to adequately tie scaffolds (with non-removable ties)at every lift and omit the ledger braces.

With the advent of TG20 this will fall within the design required category.

For the record you cannot use singles on any brace.

Don't worry about it Jason, I thought they were to transfer the load to the deck.:embarrest:

If you put Aberdeens in before you take out the brace surely it would have the same strength if not more been on doubles.Hypothetical I know before I get told to refer to drawing:D

The job of the Brace is to level the Standards. Other then that, it dont do too much.
I cant see much strength or strain on the Braces, i suppose you 'could' use Singles, as they would do the same job.

Ledgers off Doubles and Aberdeens off Doubles ---> Theres your square, made solid from your Standards. :)

I suppose if you was to tie every Standard in at every lift, then you could probably get rid of the Braces all together.

Thats an awful lot of drilling though! :eek:
I dont fancy it much, lol.

Had you been drinking when you wrote that young'un?

Top Bottom