New Lorries for LEZ

philliosmaximus

Reaction score
Got to get 2 new lorries soon to conform with the LEZ for London , does anyone have any thoughts on whats best to buy , i have used Mercedes for the last few years but they seem to need a lot of repairs :unsure:

looking to buy used , at the moment we are using 18 tonne and 7.5 tonne , have found a place called Cromwells in Birmingham that convert lorries to scaffold lorries at a reasonable cost around £10,000 for a 7.5 tonne and they will paint them any colour you like

yeah crommwells has big advert in truck trader , do you mean convert into scaffold wagon by getting actual scaffold bodies put on or just by getting dropside or flat bed put on

iam not sure how they convert them mate , but i have seen a few and they look sound , once you have out your rack on.

yeah ive seen them in the trader , dont let that fool ya its a simple kit anyone can buy and fit its just a drop down front panel, i thought you meant the bodies that can take a scaffold tube stood into special holes to help seperate and secure loads.

as for mercedes needing lots of repairs bud , are you sure its not driver problems causing this ( tho im not upto speed on the new mercedes wagons)

my opinion is if you can afford it get 18 ton scania the king of hgv , and a 7-5 ton iveco the most common therefore cheapest to maintain

Iveco scania mercedes - all need plugging in to a computer and to many plastics !!

Cromwells are dear as fook mate

Are you talking bout euro 5 ?? as in by 2012 ??

Try to stick to the mercs m8, the new iveco's have the radiator hanging down under the front bumper. very easy to catch and rip off if you take to some sites or quarries. I found that the mercs are a little dearer to get parts for, but rarely do they need any work on as they have bigger brakes, clutches etc. than the iveco trucks.

We was all merc at one stage - to much dough spent at main dealers went back to iveco , doing MAN at the mo on fleet replacements

I know what you mean about the rads we had a new one and after 2 days someone took the rad out , also all that adblue *****

Iveco scania mercedes - all need plugging in to a computer and to many plastics !!

Cromwells are dear as fook mate

Are you talking bout euro 5 ?? as in by 2012 ??

thats it scaffy euro 5 , got to be compliant by the end of next year, iam not sure how new the motor has to be to complie i heard it has to be 06 or newer , tried to look on line with VOSA but its like pulling teeth getting info :unsure:

£10,000 for a 7.5t way too much. Man great for 7.5t and all the dealers will be most helpful regarding the compliance. Scaffy is right regarding the bigger trucks all needing a computer to tell you if the tyre is needing inflating but I find the Man's have a bit less reliance on the micro chip. Scania is the daddy, we use an 18t de-mount with 2 trailers but it's getting old and need to change for a hiabb which will hopefully be a Man.

If anybody wants an older 18t scania give me a shout.

When i was in the TA transport squadron we used Foden Drops, great piece of kit, ideal for scaff wagons, you just pull on site drop your rack and away, saves on manual handling at the pointy end.

Aye mate, automatic gearbox with the wineglass tilt icon for offloading etc.
DROPS Detachable Rack Operating Platform, FFS why do the Army abbreviate everything. IMOHO, pmsfl at my own txts, LOL:eek:

Often thought about them but always wondered how hard it would be to strap the load when it was tipping, always just took it for granted the hiabb would cover more eventualities. I have been procrastinating over this for ages now and really need to do something about it soon.

Often thought about them but always wondered how hard it would be to strap the load when it was tipping, always just took it for granted the hiabb would cover more eventualities. I have been procrastinating over this for ages now and really need to do something about it soon.

We were transporting Rockets for the Multi Launch Rocket Systems (MLRS) we had a strapdown manual for loads, never lost one yet. thank feck Big Boom springs to mind,lol:D

Sake Paddy, I thought tipping a trailer full of long was a nightmare.

Have used hookloaders before , the angle of descent is un nerving thank god for rear tail gates , Hook loader lifting gear is also heavy so only any good on 6 or 8 wheeler.
We have artic with big crane behind cab and 5 x 24ft trailers ideal for all scenarios.
As AOM said MAN is reliant on computer chips and main dealers , we employ our own mechanic full time and he has found away round most of this , other than the dash is constantley full of fault codes !!!!

ex brewery delivery artics are ideal scaffolding wagons , they generally been well maintained, you can pick them up cheap, they a good size for getting into tight sites , trailers are low enough to work from , all you need is the trailers converting , or even keep them as tautliners keep gear dry lol

Top Bottom