National Grid assessment venues

kje99

Reaction score
Just wanted to make sure that people know that you can do the NG training and tests at various different locations - not just Eakring (Newark) - the HQ.

North East - Norton substation - Stockton on Tees (Nr Middlesbrough)
North West - Hollinwood (Nr Manchester)
South East - LittleBROOK, Kent (thanks Dico)
South East - Hitchin, Herts
South/South West - Melksham (nr Chippenham)

These venues are smaller and more personal, so tend to be better, not just if you live in the area, but if you are nervous or not very good with computers.

You just need to tell whoever does your booking which venue you want go to.

HTH

Last edited:
Expedient may do training for the NG tests but they don't run them, as far as I know - you need the National Grid software on the computers. You have to go to one of the official venues to do the test, so for Jarrow the nearest would be be Norton.

littlebrook powerstation kent also!! mini bus there most days of week with on board desks and computors

Sorry yes, I meant to put Littlebrook, but it's Friday. Norton and Melksham are like Littlebrook - 8 computers in a coach. Melksham is at a nice hotel and Norton is at the substation (free coffee!)

good investment the besc and person ticket lot of work comeing up and being done now as the national grid need to invest in the countrys electricity as its getting olde person last 3yrs and you have no hazzle the competent person is hard to pass and only last 1 year also your just a escape goat should something go wrong on these electricity station so unless you get the dollar its not worth it you also need a bit of savee and knowledge as you cant just throw tubes around with 400.000 volts buzzing around on most sites as your look like cod and chips on a friday night lol! besc and persons are also being combined soon so there just be one test to cover instead of the 2 tests will post when ave details

Yes, Norton substation is actually in Stockton, but if you aren't from the area it's more likely that you'd have heard of Middlesbrough than Stockton (if only for the wrong reasons).

Made an enquiry with this lot, if this information is any good to anyone.:bigsmile:

Thank you for your enquiry for a BESC Assessment. Please find below an email of information explaining the entire process of BESC and Person Training. This is purely an information email, if you would like to discuss in further detail please don’t hesitate to call me on 01142 903666.

As you will be working on National Grid sites, in addition to BESC, you will also require Person Training for National Grid. Person Training is a prerequisite to BESC this will need to be booked before we can confirm dates for the BESC Assessment. Person Training is a National Grid scheme and therefore they are the only ones at this stage who offer this training.

The locations for Person Training are:

Eakring – Nottingham

Hitchin – Hertfordshire

Hollinwood – Greater Manchester

The next available date for Person Training is 14th August 2013 and thereafter. The price for Person Training is £196.09 +VAT. Dates do get booked very quickly as candidate bookings are not accepted with less than 10 working days’ notice, therefore if you would like us to book it on your behalf just let me know which location suits you then I can confirm what dates are available. If you would like to look into booking your Person Training please follow this link and select the scheme required (National Safety Instruction 30) Energy & Utility Skills Register.

Basic Electrical Safety Competence

The Basic Electrical Safety Competence (BESC) is a live onsite knowledge and observation based assessment that ensures that candidates are competent to enter / exit and move around a Sub-station Apparatus (SSA) Designated Work Area (DWA) in an electrical environment safely and without causing harm to themselves and to others. The candidate will be expected to attend a substation or overhead line site where they will meet with an accredited assessor who will observe and ask questions to determine their competency. After this, if the candidate passes they will receive a cover note to this effect and then the process will start for their registration on the Energy and Utility Skills database and receive an identification card for proof.

There are three separate schemes for BESC and Persons;

· Substations

· Overhead Lines

· Underground Cables

For Example, If you require Access to Substations then you will need relevant Substation Person Training and Substations BESC Assessment. Similarly so for Overhead Lines etc.

The Prices for these two assessments are as follows;

Price –VAT

Price +VAT

Person Training

BESC Assessment

EUSR Registration Fee

Total

BESC Pre Training (optional)

Individuals or small groups – We can accommodate smaller groups or individuals on various assessments we organise across the month. We are holding BESC at 6 different locations;

Hurst – Bexley

Skelton Grange – Leeds

Penwortham – Preston

Iron Acton – Bristol

Staythorpe – Nottinghamshire

Hams Hall – Birmingham

August

Staythorpe, Nottinghamshire

5th August 2013

Skelton Grange, Leeds

9th August 2013

Penwortham, Preston

12th August 2013

FULL

Hurst, Bexley

13th August 2013

Skelton Grange, Leeds

19th August 2013

Hams Hall, Birmingham

19th August 2013

Hurst, Bexley

22nd August 2013

Staythorpe, Nottinghamshire

28th August 2013

Iron Acton, Bristol

28th August 2013

Penwortham, Preston

29th August 2013

We have BESC Assessments running all over the country and on different dates, it would be best if we were to get a date booked for Person Training initially and then see what dates we have available running around the same time to pop your individuals on. Also we can run more assessments other than the ones listed above for larger groups of people at your request.

Sometimes I find all this information can be daunting so if you would like any points clearing up please don’t hesitate to call me on 01142 903666.

I hope we can be of some assistance to you. If you have any questions regarding the booking process please feel free to email me or call.

Many Thanks

Charlotte Taylor

National Grid Information

Firstly please note that ALL candidates who are wanting to go through for their Basic Electrical Safety Competence Assessment have to be “Person Trained” through National Grid first. For more information on this you can go to: National Grid: Safety documentation for electricity workers and click on the National Safety Instruction 30. If you need further information on this please do not hesitate to call me. To book the Person Training, please follow this link and select the scheme required Energy & Utility Skills Register. If you need further information on this please do not hesitate to call me.

BESC Information

Group Booking:

For the assessment to take place:

· You will need to have a date in mind for when you would like the assessment to take place, I will then contact the available assessors to see if the date is available for them.

· You will need to arrange access to a Live site that all the candidates and our assessor can gain access to for the assessment to be carried out. If you are already working on a site, the assessment can take place whilst work commences.

· Prices will be worked out depending on Assessor costs, Any travel needed and any overnight stay needed by the assessor. A quotation will be drawn up depending on the needs.

· Maximum of 8 people on site. (if candidates are doing both Substation and Overhead Lines then the maximum number of candidates is 5)

· A Candidate registration form will need to be filled in with all relevant candidate details and then the assessment paperwork will be populated at our offices and sent to the assessor in time for the assessment day. A time will be agreed for all candidates and assessor to attend site and the assessment to begin.

· Candidates must attend site in full PPE, with reading and writing equipment, proof of Person Training etc.

Individual Booking:

For the assessment to take place:

· Sites and dates are arranged in advance for individuals to attend between ESUK and the assessor. Call ESUK to find out availability.

· Maximum of 8 people on site. (Ask for availability)

· There is a fixed per person price for individuals which can be provided on request.

· A Candidate Registration form will need to be filled in with all relevant candidate details and then the assessment paperwork will be populated at our offices and sent to the assessor in time for the assessment day.

· Full instructions of times, location address and what is required will be sent on receipt of this form.

· Candidates must attend site in full PPE, with reading and writing equipment, proof of Person Training etc.

Frequently Asked Questions:

1. How long are the courses?

We prefer to take a day for each standard to be Assessed. This day can vary in length depending on the size of the group and the level to which the candidate’s Basic Electrical Safety Knowledge is, so based on this we say it should take at least one day if not less.

2. Where are they held?

We have assessors based all around the country so wherever the assessment is to take place, our assessor will travel to. If you have a site we can access that you are working on or is near to you, we will send our assessor to you.

3. How much do they cost?

A quote will be drawn together for you that is specific to what the needs are for assessment. Costs are specific to this i.e. we take into account in our fees, Assessor Fee, Mileage for the Assessor and any overnight stay that may be needed, Administration Fees etc.

4. Upcoming availability on courses

We prefer that you come to us with preferred dates for the assessment to take place once you have a site our assessor can attend, so we can see which assessor will be available to do the assessment for you. We can hold up to 8 candidates on one assessment.

If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will answer any questions you have.

Charlotte Taylor

Personal Assistant to Rebecca Frain

Electrical Safety UK Limited

STEP Business Centre

Wortley Road

Deepcar

Sheffield

S36 2UH

Telephone: +44 (0) 1142 903666

Fax: +44 (0) 1142 903605

Email: charlotte.taylor@elecsafety.co.uk

Web: Home - Electrical Safety (UK) Ltd - Advising industrial & commercial organisations and utility service providers on matters of electrical safety, procedures and rules, including staff / contractor training. Sheffield UK England Nationwide Service

I can tell you categorically that you can also do Person tranining at Littlebrook in Kent (next date 5 Aug then every 3 weeks), Norton on Teesside(next date 12 Aug, then every 3 weeks), and Melksham nr Chippenham (next date 19 Aug, then every 3 weeks) as I am sitting at the Melksham venue right now.

I expect you can, I'm not doubting you, it depends on who you use training wise, I just put the email on, I was sent from that training company.

less scaffolders with besc more work for me and you kje 90 lol!!!! rich get ya ticket done thou lots of work comeing up mate!!!

You can book at any venue regardless of who you train with. Elec safety (who sent that email) say that they don't tell you about the other locations as they are a bit more expensive, but if you factor in travel costs and maybe an overnight stay, they might work out cheaper if you live near.

Hi Joe. Yeh gone from Dungy. Been working for one agency after another. Need to get back on a firm direct. I'm not happy to pay for BESC and CCNSG myself, if a company want you, they can pay it. You get what you pay for.

Richard we are always on the lookout for scaffolders and will sort the Persons & BESC give me a call tomorrow pls. 07894650756.

Top Bottom