my god

i generally always base out in doubles mate, but i sometimes measure inside to centre aswell when im not basing out using doubles, but my main point really was that its irelevant where the ledger is when it comes to measuring out lol

you're right mate lol. some scaffolders no matter how hard they try are never going to actually be scaffolders:D

very true my friend, you will always get the ones who spend their whole lives erecting scaffold as tho they were still in the training centre, i get sick of trying to explain to the younger generation how to save time, energy, kit etc etc so they can get early finishes, or make good price work money for less effort , basics like work out your boards properly so less laps, less laps equals less boards, if you can save one set of boards per elevation per lift on a 6 lift job around all four sides of a building thats 24 sets of boards times 6 boards to the set 144 boards approx 3 ton just by working out whether to go on top or underneath at the corners.

you wouldnt believe how many times ive come across scaffs wondering why there is 4 or 6 inch difference when the scaffold meets up on a full wrap around because they have gone on top at every return lol

Ha i worked with one from our firm yesterday, put his foot against the wall put the base plate were the back of his foot was, standard on tube and pulled it level, told me to do the same (i was laughing after 14 years doing this game) "what you laughing at?" couldnt be bothered to explain there was a three inch difference between the wall and window!

Ans apparantly there is 7 inches in 700 mm!

Like I said Rigger, inside standards only where access makes it awkward otherwise.
I always measure inside ledger to centre of outside ledger. If you can do 9 times table your sorted, not fckin rocket science.

Wonder if rocket scientists ever say to each other 'its not fckin scaffolding!!'

i have reversed the base ledger for over 20 years know , but f*** putting it on the rest of the job , hahaha must have been a nightmare getting the f***** in

reverse base out was common in the Crawley/ gatwick area when all the estates were being built.
The funniest thing I ever saw was some Dutch scaffolders put doubles on the standards just above the already fixed ledger, put a new ledger in do the fronts of the doubles up leave the backs loose the try and lift it up 2 m hilarious

Gents

I personally like the reverse base out, saves a lot of mauling. But if the job's for render and they flip the inside board out, boy does that inside ledger and fittings get shitted up. F**k*ng renderers!!

I reverse base out also, however on system jobs, i had set up a long run with all the outside ledgers left out, i was getting funny looks, until i started walking the decking in then adding the ledgers. Beats ducking and diving anyday.

i always reverse the first ledger its a lot safer to do ,no loose long sliding on gutters you only have to add 3 inchs to make the boards fit , and it dont matter if you measure ledger to ledger or standard to standard its the same thing 39 inchs gives you 4 boards an a 2 inch gap for your toe board , problem comes when people measure ledger to standard , i have based out like this for 25 years with no problems .

i new a lad who put the return corner standard on the inside claiming it made hemping easier i coudnt see how myself :wondering:

Measure twice= erect once, think before action.:D

spot on Paddy the times i have seen standards in the wrong place , you got a 13 foot table lift PUT the standards in to suit it , or " i thought the standard would pass that sill " look up the standard its not rocket
science

we prefer 'Rocket Surgery!' its not bleedin rocket surgery!

a total cross between rocket science and brain surgery!

cowboys

Hi Gus

there,s so many cowboys out there who can only knock up some
system scaffold they think they,r scaffolders and thats what you,ve
came accross they could,nt tell you the weight of 1mtr, of scaffold
without looking it up.

Two sticks does the trick;)
5' lath, 1st mark, 12" Off the wall (centre of inside std) 2nd mark 40"(centre of outside std) 4 boards plus toeboard seated) half inch to play with.

2' lath. Top of the ledger double,apply lath, gives you your bottom handrail if placed on top. Fitting on then your blob, fitting on your top handrail hieght. normally works as 990 mm and 470 to centres.

Works good when using the step-up, fittings on first instead of up and down like a whores knickers.:eek:

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

hope it makes sense guys.;)

Last edited:
usefull info paddy , have you got frogs for the sticks

Top Bottom